When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Big Pilot with Unitas movement - new model 2009

t

this watch is designed by a IWC watchmaker trainee... he won a award in 2003 with this concept.

Now IWC launching a limited Model for him...

but why in hell are they use a standard decorated Unitas movement?... no screw balance, no swan neck, no perlage?

The Unitas is going in a higher lever... in 10 years will a Unitas watch not available under 10k .... :rofl:

if they ever turn this into a super rep it would be funny seeing a horde of people wearing a watch thats limited to only 12 :p.

The turbine may covering a tourbillon, which would make sense since a talented watcmaking student would probably demonstrate his skill by making a tourbillon. The watch has a unitas because that's what the students do their projects on. A couple of years ago somone posted pics of the winner of the schools movement decorating finalists---some were very cool.

IWC probabbly doesn't give a rats ass it's if it's repped. All 12 owners probably know the other 11, and they just want to recruit skilled watchmakers which there is a shortage of. If this is repped, hopefully the kid who designed this will take a valuable lesson, about how the world of luxury goods operates. Bet that will be the last undecorated 6497 he ever proposes to put in a watch.

The turbine may covering a tourbillon, which would make sense since a talented watcmaking student would probably demonstrate his skill by making a tourbillon. The watch has a unitas because that's what the students do their projects on. A couple of years ago somone posted pics of the winner of the schools movement decorating finalists---some were very cool.

IWC probabbly doesn't give a rats ass it's if it's repped. All 12 owners probably know the other 11, and they just want to recruit skilled watchmakers which there is a shortage of. If this is repped, hopefully the kid who designed this will take a valuable lesson, about how the world of luxury goods operates. Bet that will be the last undecorated 6497 he ever proposes to put in a watch.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I thought if a tourbillon would be anywhere, it would replace the balance wheel? I'd be interested to see the student movement decorating finalists - just doing a google search now!

I like it. The rotating seconds disc is a design feature I've always liked in the C1 or the Grand Carrera...but couldn't never get into with the all the chunkiness of the C1...or the overall design of the Carrera. But here...given the aviation history of IWC...I think it's quite apt.

I suspect from looking at the back that the turbine on the back is not over a tourby...but likely rotates in tandem with the second disc on the dial.

they stole my idea!! :p ..not exactly actually...

i've been dreaming creating my own pilots watch brand or working for iwc, making a rotor design looks like a propellor or turbine..

5/3 of the propellor made of very heavy material and the rest light as paper so it can spin and wind the watch.

(probaby aluminum, or even aircraft grade alu for artistic purpose and higher price tag)

it will be only visible at back side thru sapphire caseback

Captions_Buehler2.jpg

I suspect from looking at the back that the turbine on the back is not over a tourby...but likely rotates in tandem with the second disc on the dial.

no, i think the turbine at the back is attached to balance wheel, and the propellor at front is just the sec. hand

The turbine on the back is directly above the winding main gear so it is not attached to the balance, nor a tourbillion and is to far odd set to be attached to the seconds hand drive, (although that would be good),

but imagine if this was attached to a 30sec or even a 15 second toubillion, it would look awsome!!!!!!!

The turbine on the back is directly above the winding main gear so it is not attached to the balance, nor a tourbillion and is to far odd set to be attached to the seconds hand drive, (although that would be good),

but imagine if this was attached to a 30sec or even a 15 second toubillion, it would look awsome!!!!!!!

so it turns when you wind the watch? still good :)