When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pearls, Good and Bad

PhilipM

One of the common complaints among the rep market is the quality of the pearls, and often their inconsistancy.

I'm a good way away from being WIS, and they all kinda look the same to me, so it'd be nice to see a collection of pics regarding what to look for.

the centering is quite obvious, inside a marker triangle is possible the worst place to hide something off centre!

the problems are with depth, colouration?

if people have pics, post them up and say what is good and bad about them. it might be common knowledge to you, but me me they all look the same!

I am not aware of any rep pearl database & I hate to sound like a broken record, but you should do a bit of research into how the gens look 1st. Select a single model & collect as many pictures of gens as you can. If it is a modern/current model, take a couple of trips to your local AD & try the watch on to see how the real thing looks & feels. Then, if you have a question about a specific model (that you cannot find answers to via the Search), other members will be more able to provide you with useful info.

I've yet to see any rep pearl that even comes close to the gen. Omegas are always too low. Some of the new Breits look fairly good, but when compared side by side they never look perfect. When I study gens, I always note how perfect the pearls are, especially on Breits. The edges and fit of the crystals are always perfect. Rep crystals always have rough edges and are sometime not set level.