When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2008 Deep Sea Review

lanikai

Couldn't resist after this review (thanks Lani!), so I just bought one. This will be my first Rollie rep and I just can't wait. I'll post some pics when she arrives. :)

Congrats in advance !!!.. after being outside this morning and then coming indoors the Blue Lume was the best I've seen it .. if only the lume could resemble the "White Opal" quality of the genuine when not charged.. mainly because the Opal is one of ma fav gem stones..

I'm not trying to "sell" this rep .. but it to me is like a hybrid .. Submersible /Rolex.. .. I really like the size .. but then again next week may be different..

The thing I love about this Hobby is the Variety !!

Can't wait to see your images also Z.. :)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my SeaDweller an hour back. Took it to a shop for bracelet re-sizing.

The watch is simply amazing...I like the weight and size of the watch....doesn't feel top heavy to me at all. I like to wear the watch a bit loose...and had to get only one link removed.

The shop that I went to.....the owner is a good friend and had worked for Rolex as a technician for over a decade.....now sells/repairs rolexes. He was super impressed with the quality (he had never seen this new model prior to this).

I looked @ the watch thru a loupe...and was amazed at the detailing on the rehaut....the serial no. is also etched very clearly and brarely visible thru naked eye.

The surprising this is that even though I looked thru a loupe...I couldn't see the etched rolex logo on the crystal @ 6.00. Am assuming it's there on the crystal....but perhaps I needed to use a more powerful loupe.

Overall....am very very happy with this watch. With 1 hour of charge in the open....the lume already is looking blue....the markers/hands are glowing right now....but not the pearl....I guess it might take some more time.

Posting some crappy pics taken from my iPhone just now. Will post better pics tonight.

Thanks Lani....this was money well spent on the DSSD.

Cheers

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

Got my SeaDweller an hour back. Took it to a shop for bracelet re-sizing.

The watch is simply amazing...I like the weight and size of the watch....doesn't feel top heavy to me at all. I like to wear the watch a bit loose...and had to get only one link removed.

IMG_0181.jpg

Congrats Samu !!!!!!

It fits great on your wrist !!!

Now waiting for Z's images also..

Live Strong and Wear it Well !!

Lani

This is a great review, cheers.

I recieved mine today and I've already oiled the bracelet and dried it. It feels better than when it arrived [didn't feel bad to start with] I've still got to get to grips with the slidelock system but this is the first rep with a SS bracelet that has needed no adjustment and fits on my wrist perfectly from the package [i'm the same, one pinky under the clasp to the skin]

This is my first [and prolly only] Rolex as I've not really liked one this much before, and I too am in a quandry as to whether to send to Chiefy for his double AR. I know the gen doesn't have it, but chief's AR doesn't go blue, it just makes the crystal 'dissapear'. Dunno, I'll have to think some more

Love the feel of it on and it's a real heavy one. Heavier than my Blackbird.

I have it sitting under a bright light charging right now, so when I hit the hay I can test the longevity of the lume

I had looked thru a loupe yesterday but couldn't find the rolex logo etched on the crystal.....realized that I can see it in some of my pics as the zoom factor was a lot more than the loupe.

See the faint rolex logo in the pic below:

DSC00538.jpg

Samu .. you need to get some light to bounce of the crystal to see it with your loupe.. put it up to the window .. and let the light glare off the crystal .. you should see the etched dots then .... with your loupe

16dc5.jpg

17mz8.jpg

He's gotta blame sombody... ;) ... joking siesta..... NOT :D

I resisted the Blcksteel and the 08 CD but this.... resistance is futile. I was actually trying to see how far into the new year I can get myself to without buying a new piece. Apparently not very far.... lol

I resign myself to another year of buying watches I dont need.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Cheers

Siesta

Thanks Lani. I tried everything but couldn't see it with the loupe. But I am able to see it at certain angles with my zoom lense.

It's a lovely watch....I posted some pics of mine in another thread.

Cheers

FYI.. Samu.. I am able to see the etched coronet now with the naked eye..but you need light bouncing off the surface.. I can see it clearly ... I put a halogen flash light up to it.. too dark for natural light now.. and it is plain as day.. I wasn't "looking" for it before tonight..

Cheers

L

Just an update on the lume. I put this and my DSN 089 under a bright light for 30 minutes and then took them up to bed in a totally blacked out room. At first the lume glowed green but that only lasted a few seconds until it turned blue. This lasted at least an hour as I drifted off, but when I woke at 6AM [8 hours after initial charge] the lume was white[ish] and completely readable. Moreso than the DSN 089, which surprised me.

So it passed the lume test in my book

Edited by w2w

Just an update on the lume. I put this and my DSN 089 under a bright light for 30 minutes and then took them up to bed in a totally blacked out room. At first the lume glowed green but that only lasted a few seconds until it turned blue. This lasted at least an hour as I drifted off, but when I woke at 6AM [8 hours after initial charge] the lume was white[ish] and completely readable. Moreso than the DSN 089, which surprised me.

So it passed the lume test in my book

The Lume will improve with time out of the box ... the best light to "charge" the lume is IMO on the windowsill with indirect sunlight ... I am talking about what's best for the lume being "opened" and woken up so to speak.. this works best for me with the reps out of the box..Ziggy's lume is another story .. and if I lay it on the windowsill for a while it is brighter than neon lights

My DS has been on my wrist for a week now and if I walk inside to a semi dark room during the day it is instantly blue .. so it will improve with a little time

just one quick question...is the bezel font color correct? In the pictures it looks kind of off white.

the bezel morphs with the lighting .. supposedly as the genuine.. archie.. is one of the few members who have handled the genuine .. as he pointed out the lower domed crystal

I purposely "lite up" the bezel to show this feature.. it has a glass like finish..