When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Wedding Ring is done ^_^

TeeJay

Well, nearly :lol:

The company which the jeweller sourced the production to, didn't realize just how precicely I wanted the engraved pattern on my engagement ring replicated, so instead of using the design, they did something similar... At first, for a few moments, I was pretty annoyed, because I had wanted something specific. However, the ring itself, does look the nuts ^_^ The engravings look larger than their actual size due to reflection and optical illusion, so, adding too many more (ie the original and correct pattern :p ) would actually detract from the overall appearance, as, rather than looking like a brushed ring with engravings, it would just look like a ring which had been very chopped into :lol: So, the compromise we've come to, because the company have already closed for christmas, is that I bought the ring home, drew on the additional lines I want engraved, then take it back after christmas, and they will get the lines added (maybe a few days maximum turnaround, as the ring itself was manufactured in 2-3 ) I could take it back in tomorrow, but, as the company is closed over christmas, it would just be sitting in the jeweler's safe...

Anyway, I've drawn on the additional lines, and wrapped it in tape to prevent the marker getting rubbed off, so I'll take some photos once it's been re-finished and I can show it in the proper way :)

Other than that, I can only say that this ring looks awesome. It fits my finger perfectly (well, it was sized for me :lol: ) and looks great :) It's brushed Titanium, with high-polished 'V cut' lines engraved 1mm wide, and 1mm deep through it. I knew that the lines would be highlights compared to the main finish, but what I wasn't expecting, was the finish of the lines means that rather than the entire, or even partial, line 'lighting up' when it catches the light, it looks almost like tiny beads of Mercury running through the channels B) I can't express how cool it looks, and I have a feeling that photography might not fully capture it's full awesomeness, but, once it's back from re-finishing, I'll certainly try B)

[Edit to add]

Just to clarify, when I first opened the box, my immediate reaction was one of astonishment. My annoyance probably lasted about a millisecond in real time, as I realized that too much engraving would detract from the brushed surface, and, without the brushed surface, the contrast wouldn't be as striking, so that few moments of annoyance quickly reverted to appreciation :)

Who'm I trying to kid? I can't keep this from you guys, even in it's unfinished state :lol:

Okay, please excuse the tape and marker, and try and focus on the contrast between the brushed and polished areas ^_^

The original (Sterling Silver):

DSCN0523.jpg

Which made me think of (Engraved Naquadah):

stargate_texturetest.jpg

So realized as (Brushed Titanium):

DSCN0543.jpg

As above, once the additional lines are engraved, I'll post some really decent shots B)

Thanks, amigo smile.gif The tape and autoflash don't do it any favors, but I'll try and get some decent photos taken once the additional engraving is done smile.gif

LOL, no probs, just go out and buy a D90. You will never have trouble photographing anything ever again. You may, however, have quite a bit of trouble with your bank manager . . . :)

But sincerly its great mate. I hope your wife understands how lucky she is to have a man who is puting his heart and soul into his wedding the way you are. 'tis a rare but good thing and I wish both of you many years of happyness together. It's easy to see how much all this meens to you. Your exitment is palpable, your enthusiasem unbounded, your attention to detail minute and the level of anticpation you feel is infectious.

You need a laptop, a wirless card and a webcam mate and we can all come!

Regards, Col.

Mate it looks really different!

I like the look of that you did a good job there fella!

It's nice to have a one off piece like that, I had mine designed too,

it's 18k beveled (sp) with a good sized diamond, the wife had hers

made too, feels a little more special.

Yours will be even more unique too!

Get some pics in natural light when it's done :)

LOL, no probs, just go out and buy a D90. You will never have trouble photographing anything ever again. You may, however, have quite a bit of trouble with your bank manager . . . :)

But sincerly its great mate. I hope your wife understands how lucky she is to have a man who is puting his heart and soul into his wedding the way you are. 'tis a rare but good thing and I wish both of you many years of happyness together. It's easy to see how much all this meens to you. Your exitment is palpable, your enthusiasem unbounded, your attention to detail minute and the level of anticpation you feel is infectious.

You need a laptop, a wirless card and a webcam mate and we can all come!

Regards, Col.

Thanks for the kind words, it really means a lot :) I have to admit, it would be pretty cool to stream the whole thing, but I don't think she'd go for it :lol: What I will do, though, is get as many wrist-shots and other assorted photos as possible, and then post them up :)

Mate it looks really different!

I like the look of that you did a good job there fella!

It's nice to have a one off piece like that, I had mine designed too,

it's 18k beveled (sp) with a good sized diamond, the wife had hers

made too, feels a little more special.

Yours will be even more unique too!

Get some pics in natural light when it's done :)

Thanks, bro, glad you approve :) I like the sound of what you had done as well :) I have to admit, Emily's actual wedding ring hasn't been custom made, that was a purely availability/price focussed decision, but her engagement ring was a custom build. Her wedding ring's a plain 4mm domed Titanium ring with a polished finish, which goes really nicely with the engagement ring, which is Platinum, and about 4mm across the base. Although the Titanium is darker than the Platinum, it's a subtle difference, rather than a harsh one :) I'd seen some Zirconia ceramic rings online which looked really nice, and when I showed them to her, she really liked them, so I ordered them in (even though it was going against my plan to have my engagement ring replicated) but when they arrived, although mine looked okay, hers looked absolutely shite on her, so they got sent back the next day, and I went back to the original plan :D

• 3 weeks later...
The finished product looks great. Congrats. The pic is much clearer too. ;)

Thanks, bro :) Taking the scotch tape off helped ;)

The new engravings match perfectly with the original, I'm really pleased and impressed with the workmanship which went into making it :)

that's gorgeous TJ, undoubtfully creative and beautiful.

congrats!

Thanks :) It's a hard one to photograph, but after the day, I'll try and get some more photos in different light sources :)

Beautiful, TJ!

Industrial yet elegant, very unusual.

Looking forward to the documentation of the actual event.

Thanks, indeed, it's certainly an unconventional design, I'm really happy with it. Best of all, being Titanium, it's lighter than the silver ring it's a copy of :lol:

Hopefully, we'll have some good photos to put up of the day :)

Congrats for your wedding man

Tho, i don't get the ressemblance between pic 1 and 2 or i'm not drunk enough :)

If you look at the inner track on the Stargate, which has the constellation glyphs, you'll see a series of white lines running all across the surface. On better pictures, it's possible to see that those white lines are actually 'V' engravings. The pattern on the silver ring, reminded me of the random pattern of the lines, so I had the wedding ring made to resemble to color of the Stargate, and the contrast between the brushed outer surface, and highly polished lines achieves that :)

Would love to say it looks amazing mate, but you know I would be lying!! lol It really is at times like these I get really pissy as I would love to be able to see the work both you and the jeweller put into it!

You know I'm way happy for you man, and if the ring makes the day that touch better for you then, even without seeing it, it is a beautiful thing indeed!

Yours looks WAY better.

WAY better.

Thanks, I have to admit, it might not have come out 100% as I had planned or imagined it to look, but it is precicely what I wanted :) The jeweler told me that the Titanium will darken over time, so that'll really enhance the look :)

Amazing TJ. Just saw this. I love the look of the harder edges. Much improved from the original. You are giving me ideas for mine now. Hmmmmm...

I have to admit, the engraved lines are actually wider than I originally envisaged... For some reason, I wrote 1mm on the design, thinking that they might not have been able to do a .5mm V cut... Don't get me wrong, I think it looks the nuts, but engravings are definitley more noticeable than I intended, as the cuts creates an optical illusion making them look wider :D I guess I'll have to remember that old saying, measure twice, cut once ;)

Something I would say, if you're thinking of something similar, is that the engravings are pretty detectable between the fingers if the ring rotates (although I might get used to that over time) so when I drew on the additional lines, I kept it so that there are only a few lines 'on the sides', but more lines 'on the top and bottom'. Of course, if you need anything sketched up to take to your jeweler, you only have to ask, bro, and it'd be my pleasure to do it :)

Would love to say it looks amazing mate, but you know I would be lying!! lol It really is at times like these I get really pissy as I would love to be able to see the work both you and the jeweller put into it!

You know I'm way happy for you man, and if the ring makes the day that touch better for you then, even without seeing it, it is a beautiful thing indeed!

Thanks, bro, that's much appreciated :) Once I had the idea of having the engagement ring re-made as the wedding ring, that's all I've really wanted. I did see some nice Zirconia rings online, which would have looked really nice, but, Emily's was way too thick on her finger, and they didn't come in a narrower width. They were also both the wrong size, so in a way, I was glad that they had to go back, as it wasn't what I really wanted to do, it was more a last minute 'that looks good... Let's get that...' scheme :D As jewelery, however, I think you'd really like them: Super high-tech ceramic/metal hybrid, black as Indian Ink, and smoother than the word 'mellifluous' :lol: In terms of pure comfort, I don't think I've ever worn such a comfortable ring. Even being a size too tight, it was still incredibly comfortable. Here's a link to their website... This was the particular ring I'd ordered but sent back due to size issues.

Wow TJ, amazing!

Like night and day....or ss and titanium!

I am happy to see someone such as yourself take pride and appreciation for such things.

Congrats!

"wear it well!"

Thanks :) It had always been the plan to have the engagement ring re-made as the wedding ring, it was only more recently that the idea to use Titanium instead of Platinum was considered, but, not only was it cheaper, but it was much lighter, so well worth it in the long run :) I think with something like this, it's worth doing it properly :)