When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fun Day! Compared A Read Dr Sd To An Mbw

audemarsdan

I made a post on my blog about this. My wife's uncle has a genuine double red Sea-Dweller that he wears every day. I finally got a chance to compare it with my MBW DR SD. Man, I kick myself over the bad case back on the MBW. If it was properly engraved it would eliminate the one BIG flaw on the watch. Other than that the MBW is a wonder. Read the post. :)

Indeed, Mr. Sherrington. One of these days... I will work the CG's a bit :)

So let's say I shell out $350 for a DR MBW. I wouldn't dream of doing any case modifications or crystal replacement myself. What could I expect to have to shell out in addition to have the case modified (crown guards reworked, lug holes drilled ) put in a genuine crystal and get a replacement case back and add a genuine bezel? Isn't this going to run significantly more than the watch itself? I would think a genuine replacement case back would alone cost a fortune.

Expensive... Yes. But when you're dealing with genuine vintage Rolex parts, nothng is cheap. Remember, we're all contending with collectors of genuine vintage Rolex watches for parts, and these folks, who are willing to spend $25k for a DRSD 1665 are also going to be buying up parts to stash away since the US RSC's are starting to refuse service on these oldies. Supply vs. demand, and the top dollar talks.

So... Why mod an MBW with genuine parts? Well... for some of us, it's what makes it fun. I myself do it as a hobby- I like to make the most accurate reps I can, not because I flip them or try and fool anyone with them. It's simply my hobby that I derive enjoyment from. Want to know how to make your watch as accurate as possible with regards to genuine? Use genuine parts! Doing these mods isn't something that everyone can agree on; some people see it as a waste of time and money, but for me, I'll take quality over quantity any day. Besides... No one's holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to do mods :)