When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone else having this GMT IIc problem?

jnkay

This problem has been driving me crazy ever since I got my 2 GMT IIc watches. Both of them will keep perfect time for days, then will stop for a minute, or 5 or 30 before restarting after I tap the watch or a movement of my wrist unsticks it. One of the movements is serviced, the other not but they both do it. It's not a power reserve problem, it's a sticking or hanging up of something in the movement (not caused by the hands hanging up on hour markers either). BTW, the GMT hand on the serviced movement works fine when the watch runs normally.

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas why this happens?

It sounds like a textbook example of a movement that requires standard servicing (cleaning/lubing). The movements in rep watches are used/surplus & few sellers actually service the movements prior to shipment (regardless of the sales hyperbole to the contrary). Contact Ziggy or a local rep-friendly watchmaker to have the watch serviced.

Mine is doing this as well, but with mine it's the seconds hand coming in contact with the minute hand. Oddly enough, it always seems to happen at roughly the same time (usually around 12:35, sometime 1:35).

I thought I had fixed it a couple weeks ago when I removed and reinstalled the seconds hand, but apparently not. Next time I uncase the movement, I'll remove/reinstall the hour and minute hand to be sure they are seated to the correct depth and that they're even.

When yours stops, is the seconds hand over the minute hand?

There is no consistency to when this happens, such as the hour and minute hands overlapping. Freddy, one of these watches WAS serviced and still does it. It had ceased this behavior for several weeks after the service, but now it's back to its bad habits again.

The 3 questions I would ask are who did the service, was it a proper service or a dip-job & have you returned the watch to the person who last serviced it?

Well, the shop that did it regularly services high-end watches, but that's no guarantee it wasn't a dip job. If I'm the only one having this issue and it's not an issue inherent to the bastardized movement, I'll probably bring it back.

i just bought the same watch from another member--waiting for it to arrive, but he mentioned that it works fine, and then all of a sudden it stops---you have to tap it or shake it to get it moving again.

Same issue i assume, i won't know what the answer is till i get the watch and have it looked at by a local watchsmith, but keep me updated if you find a solution

thanks.

I had several of this model as being a reseller. 40% had problems with loose screws in the movement, making it stop or ultimately stop after some time. sometimes it was the rotor screw, sometimes screws that hold the movement in the case.

This movement is very cheap to service. I would recommend a full service on these kind of movements. I pay less than

Funny, I did have the rotor assembly come off a couple months AFTER it was serviced. I had suspected the guy who serviced it didn't reattach it correctly. He as very surprised to see that it had come loose. Since the watch worked well the few months after servicing, it would make sense that something is working its way loose again and causing the problem. I'll check it out. Thanks for the insight. BTW, not a CHS.