When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Snap-in or stick-on insert ?

BobM

This morning my grandson called me to tell me he has lost the insert out of his black submariner (purchased from Josh). Since I am his resorce for maintenance on the watches I have given him, he wants to know how to handle this.

By searching the forum, I learned of a reasonable suggestion to get a replacement insert on ebay. I have looked there and find both snap-in and stick-on options. The stick-on option looks very attractive to me because one does not have to worry much about precise fit.

Is there a strong preference to one or the other of these options? That is, is there some reason I should choose one over the other?

If you look at the "How to Modify Your Sub/SD" post pinned in the Rolex section, that should help. Most of the aftermarket inserts appear to not fit the Noobs exactly right and need a bit of work. Make sure to read the last page of posts as it clarifies where to source the inserts.

I ordered mine from Jewellery Outlet, and got a pearl from Watchmaterial. The pearl on the Jewellery Outlet insert was miles better than what came with the rep, and the Watchmaterial is nice as well and has the glass over the lume like the gen so looks very different than the rep pearl.

Installation usually involves sanding down the insert so it sits lower in the bezel...and then shaving down the diameter a bit so it "snaps" in. They usually don't "snap in" out of the box.

Snap-in works on gen inserts and gen bezels. The rest of the time gluing is probably the best option. As Toad says, if you have a noob sub, you have your work cut out for you. You have to file down the outside circumference and it's a good idea to file down the backside so the insert sits lower in the bezel. I also use a clamp and a die from the crystal press and let it sit overnight after gluing. Just don't get glue down in the bezel assembly or it won't turn.

If you need any help, PM me, I'll be back after this weekend.