When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona 6263 vs Submariner 16610 - Which is the prettiest?

gplracer

I think I know the answer but I have never seen a 6263 in person. (I hope to real soon) The newer submariner has a sapphire crystal and the 6263 has an acrylic crystal. What is your favorite and why? Any one able to do side by side picks?

What is prettier a Ferrari or an Aston Martin. I'd opt for the latter.. But I do not know how and why this helps you in any way

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

I prefer the 16610 for its ruggedness and classic good looks, plus WR on the gens is 300m- heck, I ain't going down 40 meters. Right now I'm wearing a 16800 gen which has become my daily beater- basically the same as the 16610.

The 6263 is a classic. It's a vintage watch with the plastic crystal, some WR, but it's definitely not a beater. And the V72 movement in there is a daily wind affair. But you have the chrono if you need it. Gens are worth 5-6 times more than a 16610.

They're both beautiful watches, I love them both.

back in 1986 i talked my father into buying me a rolex for my 13th birthday. not sure how i did it but i found myself at the jeweler. my original object of desire was the daytona - the store had the 6263 i wanted. When I tried it on I loved it.

I was also told they had a Submariner (16800) as well that had just come in. At that time the 16800 was a tough watch to find. They where similar in price.

I now had an issue as I really liked the 16800 as well. I made my choice

The 16800 was self winding the 6263 was manual - the 16800 had a sapphire crystal the 6263 had a plastic crystal - I prefered the bracelet for the 16800 - I liked the weight and size of the 16800

I picked the Sub and it has been on my wrist everyday for the past 22+ years.

That said I always loved the 6263 and could not get it out of my mind. To that end I now have a DW 6263 exactly like the one I almost got way back when. It is not perfect but I will fix those items that are not as I can afford.

From a "what's it worth" I should have stuck with my original goal but I am happy with the way things turned out.

I will go with the Daytona 6263 but not for any reason other than I really a Rolex that has an crylic crystals. It gives the watch a very unique look. Beside the crystal the LV is a beauty too. The maxi dial and the Rolex green insert work for me too.