When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Samurai

Planning on get an Ultrasonic cleaner for wife's jewellry. I noticed that it mentions that the same can be used for watches.

Does any have any experience with using them for cleaning watches? As I understand, the items are immersed in water/cleaning fluid in the cleaner and then blasted with sound waves.

My fear is of putting the reps in the water and then using them.....

Any help/experience....greatly appreciated!

Cheers

If your rep passes pressure tests it might be ok. I know The Zigmeister and the other watchmakers use them for cleaning the movement parts when they do servicing...but I would never immerse a rep in one to clean it. I understand that certain movement parts are not supposed to be cleaned this way...so it appears there is the potential for damage on some stuff.

I'm not sure how the cleaning fluid and cleaning action may screw up AR if at all...

I would not emerse a complete watch in an ultra sonic, not due to water or fluids but dure the the micro vibrationd that would shake the movemrnt inside, quartzs mabe, Mine came with intructions and that stated DO NOT place a mechanical watch in here! I clean cases and parts and bracelets in it and it is great when you have been waering a bracelet for a long time and decide to give it a clean and you can watch the dirt being vibrated out of it!

Now a mate of mine put his wifes rep Daydate in his complete and he said it did not affect it! personaly, NO WAY

One other thing about ultrasonic cleaners... I have only seen them being used for cleaning parts, not entire movements. I would not use water as a 'cleaning solution' for either... The mechanism of cleaning is that it creates 'micro-cavitation' (small bubbles) that lift away the dirt and grime. Some kind of surfactant is required to clean effectively. This helps lift the crud off and should help to prevent foaming. As for watch parts, the technique I have seen is to fill the tank with water and have various cleaning solutions in seperate pyrex beakers, as you do not want the petrolium based solvents coming in contact with the tank liner. When used correctly, nothing is better. For watch cases, I personaly use soap and water with an old tooth brush....

-K

Ultrasonic machines are fine for cleaning watch bracelets as long as the bracelet is off the watch and not left in the running ultrasonic machine for too long (10 or 12 minutes is usually OK).

Something else...when using powerful machines, leave the clasp unlatched during cleaning because ultrasonic action can etch the clasp where it snaps together and make it hard to open.

Good cleaning solutions are Simple Green, Formula 409 etc.

After removing the bracelet from the ultrasonic machine, scrub the bracelet under warm runing water with an old toothbrush and a few drops of dishwashing detergent to remove the cleaning solution and remaining dirt particles.

Last...rinse the bracelet in warm running water.

NEVER place an assembled movement/watch into an ultrasonic tank as it will cause damage. Many ultrasonics come with a stand that is designed for cleaning metal watch bracelets by keeping the watch body above the tank while allowing the metal bracelet to sit in the solution. However, ultrasonics are the best way to clean individual metal watch movement parts.

From what I have read above.....it's not a good idea to use a Ultrasonic cleaner to clean a complete watch...maybe just the band or individual parts. Also that the cleaning process may damage the AR coating and other mechanical parts of the watch.

Guess it's going to be used for wife's jewellery only then. And maybe I can remove bracelets from the watch and still give them a cleaning.

Thanks for the inputs everyone.

Why ould you ever need to put an entire watch into a c;eaner? Besides it being stupid. What are you doing to them that they are so dirty? Were they bad or something?

It's not being stupid dude......read my original post above.....am buying the cleaner for wife's jewellery and wanted to know if the same can be used for watches. That's it!