When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

40mm vs 41mm

Ronin

Tried searching first...

In looking at many of the vintage SUBS 5512 5513, etc, I am noticing a variance in case size. Some are 40mm some are 41mm.

Does anyone know definitely if one or both are actually correct 1:1? Some of the Vintage sites and Google search did not lead me to an answer.

Does anyone have any side by side photos of a 40 vs 41?

I suppose a mm is nothing, but if planning to Franken, I wonder how mixing Gen+Rep would be affected.

TIA

-RoninQ

Rep cases vary, but, beginning with the 5512, the gen Sub case (date/no-date) is 40mm (earlier Subs were 38mm) through the 166xx model.

Excellent, thanks, the 41mm I have been seeing must be one-offs, have to check what movements the 41s were using, IIRC Asian...

Cases on the 5513/2, and 1680 are around 38mm, but the bezel protrudes, making the whole assembly around 40mm. Likewise, I'm looking at my 16800 gen and I'm thinking the case is around 39mm, but with the bezel overhang you have 40mm. Probably the same on the 16610- but i don't have a gen of that, only a noobmariner and a Euromariner