When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Difference Between Seamaster Asian And Swiss?

d12bn

I'm looking at the Omega Seamaster and would like any input on the difference between the asian and swiss model. Mainly I would like to know if the swiss is better on the outside? Is the $120 bucks more just for the movement or is it better quality when comparing the face,band Crystal etc?

Thanks for your comments

I'm looking at the Omega Seamaster and would like any input on the difference between the asian and swiss model. Mainly I would like to know if the swiss is better on the outside? Is the $120 bucks more just for the movement or is it better quality when comparing the face,band Crystal etc?

Thanks for your comments

You know...there are probably 200 different kind of Seamaster reps around. Show us the watches you're talking about and we can probably help.

I've been looking at Trusty's $108 asian and $228 swiss.

Thanks

Thanks for the links. Saved me a lot of time. :lol:

I'll check the site, find the Seamaster models that you're MOST LIKELY talking about (guess the color and bracelet) then will get back to you in a few days. Deal? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by By-Tor

I was looking at blue but he doesn't have blue in the asian model.

Ah, the Seamaster GMT in blue. I have the Asian one, and when it's available once more, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Read By-Tor's Omega Guide, by the way. It's amazing. The Swiss is as far as I know identical apart from the movement.

92806-27914.jpg

Edited by Pugwash

First...no problems. We're just having a bit of fun at your expense. Nothing serious. ;) That black GMT is a "fantasy model" (no genuine exists). Get the blue one, it's one of the best deals of ANY rep watches right now.

I don't think there's any difference between the watches (except the movement)...and the new ETA's come with transparent glass caseback.

But before you purchase read this:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=426

Is the Asian movement so bad that its worth spending another $120 (enough to buy another watch!) on the ETA movement ?

Anyway, if I wanted reliability and lifespan - would I be better off just getting a standard SMP without the GMT complication ??

I have a couple of watches with the asia movement - rolex sub and omega PO 45 mm. For what it's worth they are the only two watches that haven't given me any trouble so far.

Is the Asian movement so bad that its worth spending another $120 (enough to buy another watch!) on the ETA movement ?

Yes bad...terrible...no Asian movement works at all...believe the mythology...no watch with an Asian movement is any good,beware.

:blink:

How tho has China become the world's largest horological producer with such a massive annual turnover by producing watches that dont work......puzzleing.

Your photoos are killing Pug :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ah, the Seamaster GMT in blue. I have the Asian one, and when it's available once more, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Read By-Tor's Omega Guide, by the way. It's amazing. The Swiss is as far as I know identical apart from the movement.

93003-27823.jpg

Pug,

I just started collecting and thought that ETA was the way to go. The movement is supposed to be better quality, more reliable and longer lasting. I value your opinion so can you explain to me why most of your watches have asian movements? I'm rethinking my decision to buy only ETA watches. Please help, am I making the right decision? Thanks.

pman

I just started collecting and thought that ETA was the way to go. The movement is supposed to be better quality, more reliable and longer lasting. I value your opinion so can you explain to me why most of your watches have asian movements? I'm rethinking my decision to buy only ETA watches. Please help, am I making the right decision? Thanks.

ETA movements are better, but the Asian ones are by no means universally rubbish. I'm not comfortable recommending that everyone buy Asian 21j instead of 2836 reps, but if you trust your dealer not to offload crap on you, Asian movements can save you a lot of money.

One point I feel I should make is that, just like the Asians, not all ETAs are equal, either. The design is better, and that means you can get away with worse oiling and the like, but I'd prefer to go with a dealer that I can trust in case of problems.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that a good dealer with a cheap movement is better than a cheap dealer with a good movement.

Now, if you're not short of cash, a good dealer with a good movement is the best choice. Compare getting a 2836 from Precious Time compared to a 2836 from Paulmart, for instance. Which watch would you trust?

Thanks Pug that helps a lot. Andrew, Trustytime, is my man. So a dealer like Andrew and ETA's are a good combo. I also want to thank you for all the info you provide with your reviews. I've learned tons from you and it's nice of you to share your knowledge with others. That's what makes this the best rep forum, in my opinion.

pman

Thanks Pug that helps a lot. Andrew, Trustytime, is my man. So a dealer like Andrew and ETA's are a good combo. I also want to thank you for all the info you provide with your reviews. I've learned tons from you and it's nice of you to share your knowledge with others. That's what makes this the best rep forum, in my opinion.

I spend more time on RWI (the dark side) to be honest, but any 'major' post I make, I post here, TRC and RWI. I even post on WT, but no-one ever reads my posts there.

As for my informative posts, I'm merely standing on the shoulders of giants. :Jumpy:

ps. Yes, Trusty and an ETA is an excellent choice.

Do you spend more time there cos its a better forum ? !

It's not a better forum. If it were, I'd never be here. :D

This place can sometimes be a little fast-paced and it can get hot and loose, which sometimes is exactly what I'm looking for, like a bar on a Friday night with your mates. Sometimes, however, you want to go somewhere with an open fire where you can actually hear the conversation.

I'm glad there are a few forums with different personalities, as I need them all. :D