When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

(Updated) Goal! Tag "Kirium" Gen dial swap? Is it possible? Goal!

Spidey7

Alright, I realize that this is a Rep site, but I figure that the watch mechanics between Rep and Gen have to be relatively similar.

I have a Gen Tag Heuer "Kirium" that I've worn as a daily "beater" for the last ten years. I was thinking about trying to give it a new look by swapping out the dial (it's just a basic black right now). Is this something that's hard to do? Could I use a Rep dial on a Gen movement? If not, does anyone know where I might find a Gen dial face? I know that some Reps can have Gen parts installed. I'm just not clear on whether Gens can have Rep parts installed. Thanks.

Thanks Merlin, but I think you may have missunderstood me. I want to change the dial face in a GENUINE Tag (NOT a replica). Ideally I'd like to use a Gen dial (if anyone knows where I could find one), but failing that, could I put a REPLICA dial into a Genuine Tag Heuer?

Genuine Kirium dial into a genuine Kirium shouldn't be an issue...Rep Kirium dial...hmm I guess if the dimensions and dial feet are the same it shouldn't be an issue...I've never owned one so I don't know the dimensions...

Tag won't sell one. You have to send the watch back to them. Any ideas were to look?

Thank you Samurai. As always, you are a prince among men.

And Avitt HOLY CRAP!!!!!! How did you do that? I looks like it fell of the side of a mountain and got hit by a plane on the way down :p I appreciate the offer man, but mine doesn't have the extra little dials on it so it probably wouldn't fit. BESIDES! It takes a hell of a lot of wearing to give a watch that much "character". If I were you and I had beat my watch up to that degree, I wouldn't let go of it for the world. It's like a really well worn pair of sneakers. You'll miss it if you get rid of it. (But you're a prince too for offering).

*SCORE* I can't believe the deal I just got. First I had tried to call Tag Heuer to see if I could buy the dial I wanted from them (electric blue). They told me that I would not only have to buy the dial, but I would ALSO have to buy a new case-back and then have both a new "Style" and Serial number engraved by them on it and have it re-registered to reflect the change in dial color. The cost for the dial was $250, and the "case-back" was another $200. Then to have the work done, and also the "re-registering" would cost me around another $600. All in all, I was looking at around $1000 just to change the color of my dial. On top of that, they wouldn't even sell me the parts. If I wanted to have the swap done, I would have to ship the watch back to them so that they could perform the work themselves.

Sooooo then I tried calling around to a few local jewelers who all informed me that they would not be able to change the dial out for me because Tag Heuer kept very tight control over part stock and would not even sell THEM the parts. They always had to send customers watches back in to Tag to have things like that done.

So I called Tag back and THEN (why they didn't tell me this up front I'll never understand) they told me that even if I was WILLING to pay the $1000 and send the watch to them they STILL wouldn't do it because the Kirium has been out of production for 4-5 years and they don't even stock parts for it anyway! :angry:

Finally, I checked eBay for a dial (per TripleHD), but still no dice. THEN I had the bright idea to check the "completed auctions" just to see if anything like that ever went up for auction. Lo and behold I spotted an auction for the ONLY dial that has been offered in the past month. It had ended several days ago (no bidders). I opened the page and HOLY GOD! Out of ALL of the color dials that have been produced, it was EXACTLY the dial that I had wanted (electric blue). It also was for my style and size watch (Kiriums have come in several different styles like automatic, chronograph, digital-analogue hybrid etc. as well as two different sizes, a mid-size and a full-size). THEN! not only that, but the auction also included the case, crown, crystal, bezel, case-back, and gasket! The case ALONE was over $600 from Tag. The crystal was another $300!.

With trembling fingers I wrote the seller an e-mail and asked him if he would still consider selling it. He wrote me back and told me he'd sell me the lot for $50!!!!!!!! I COULDN"T BELIEVE IT!

Not only will I have a new dial, but also a spare case, crown, crystal, bezel, case-back, and gasket for a watch that is long out of production and was given to me by someone very close who is no longer here (it has a great deal of sentimental value). If I had bought all of those parts seperately from Tag, it would have cost more then the whole watch cost new.

$50 BUCKS!!!!!!!! Hee hee!! I'm so stoked! THANKS TRIPLEHD!!!!!!! I take back everything I ever said about you (although most of it was true, but still).

Kirium.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Well done.....persevearance pays :p

+ 100

perseverance rarely fails !

i wanted a Kirium & saw a few drift away on the forums since they were over-priced IMO

started checking on eBay & found a failed auction, got in touch with the member and asked if he would sell it @ my price in a pvt auction

he was more than happy to oblige and i was just as happy to score one on my terms :)