When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The best A7750 I've seen to date

mjmurphy926

I just received a black dial Breitling Skyland v3 rep from Peter at watchstation. The lume dots on the dial aren't bad at all, but what really surprised me is the way the A7750 movement works in this watch. This is the 6th watch I've owned with one of these movements and it has to be, without doubt, the best example of an A7750 I've owned.

Not only is the start/stop pusher a little easier to push, but it's the only A7750 I've ever seen that actually switches the minute totalizer subdial when the chrono second hand is at 12:00. All others I've seen have advanced the minute hand 1 to 2 seconds before 12:00.

I remember an exchange I had with The Zigmeister asking him if it was normal for the minute hand to advance prematurely like this and he said it is normal for A7750, but on his swiss 7750 it happens right at 12:00. I assumed this was normal and part of the design of the A7750.

I even opened the back of the Skyland to make sure the movement is indeed an A7750 :D , which it is.

Has anyone else seen an A7750 run like this?

I have had an IWC GST Ti rep for this past 2 years (at least) and it gets worn on a regular basis. The chrono works perfectly with the minute counter starting to move at about 59.5 secs and fully clicking over at 60 secs. It is also a fantastic timekeeper, well within COSC standards, and my only gripe is the slightly vague method of setting the time initially. I advance beyond the actual time, then back up to the minute marker, as you have to do on any 7750 (Swiss also, including my gen Tudor chrono). The problem with the A7750 is that it has slightly more 'slack' which makes it harder to sync the min and secs hands, but apart from that I have had no issues whatsoever. Once the hands have been sync'd there is no further problem - it's not as if the min hand or mech has any play and continues to be loose.

I must add that I have at least 6 watches with this movement and thay have all been OK, with the exception of the secs @ 6 Portugueser. Howvever the GST is the oldest and the most accurate of them all. I haven't had any serviced and I am loath to send the GST for a service when it's working so well. I even have a perfect genuine dial for this one but don't want to mess with it so the dial & Swiss datewheels aren't fitted yet.

My Skyland from Peter was the same. It set/reset easily...kept the best time out of the box of any of my reps and had great power reserve. It still had the usual loud rotor...but it seems to charge without problem.

On another note...I just received my IWC 2006 Cousteau back from the The Zigmeister Spa with the full treatment, and if you ever want to know what the potential of an A7750 can be...do this. Relative to the cost of the watch, the full treatment is expensive (The Zigmeister's rates are certainly fair and AMAZING value considering his level of knowledge, expertise, professionalism, artistic competence, etc...but it still costs more than the watch in fact...significantly more but less than going the Swiss route)...but the movement really "feels" different. It's like the difference between winding and time/date setting an Asian 21j movement watch and doing the same with a Swiss 2892. The latter is quiet and feels "solid" whereas the Asian may work fine on the wrist, but feels junky.

Ziggification if not practical for all my reps, but any of the ones I care about or want in the stables for more than a few months will definitely benefit from the spa treatment.

Ziggification if not practical for all my reps, but any of the ones I care about or want in the stables for more than a few months will definitely benefit from the spa treatment.

Good point Toad...With the initial cost of this watch being only $185, I think I can justify sending to the Great White North.

Yep...I think it's time to ping the master...