When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of my new Pilot Watch

Pix

Hi Folks,

some time ago I was in desperate search of a small pilot watch, as the Big Pilot from IWC was just... well, too big : 47mm for my wrist (and probably most of standard wrists), especially when the dial is already very large too, is something difficult to wear IMO.

Seadweller4000 was kind enough to point me towards a small German Manufacturer, proposing to assemble watches exactly as you want them : choose your case, your movement, your dial, your strap, everything :D

And here we went, 10 days later it is here in my hands. And, my god, that's the best thing that happened to me these days !

The Watchmaker assembling this was very prompt in his answers, a true gentleman actually, and I was lucky enough to have him on MSN, so I could just choose my parts live. Wow ! I went for a 42mm brushed/polished case with flat bezel, a diamond crown (that was a must for me), a display caseback and seconds@6 dial.

There's no real review to do, as this watch is a gen (and a gem) in itself. It does not pretend to copy the IWC Big Pilot, I see it as a tribute to the WWII Observer watches....

All parts are made in Germany, except the movement which is our well-known Asian Unitas 6497 (a Seagull movement actually). I'm not sure, but maybe those who want can go Swiss, but I don't see the advantage of doing so. This movement runs perfectly (+/- 20 seconds is warrantied) and winds very smoothly. The PR is the one we know, i.e. 44 hours.

The lume is outstanding, the kind of lume we all look after when buying a Pannie for instance. And the AR coating on the sapphire crystal is nothing but perfect : what I particularly like is that there's no dominant blueish tint, which sometimes look wrong on some reps.

It came with a kind of pilot/nato leather strap, of very good quality. However sized for strong men ;) Somehow too long for me. So I ordered the pilot strap of my Dreams from Tourby Watches, which some of you surely know. And here I have the perfect combination (in my eyes), my holy Graal "Small Pilot".

Guys, this German Manufacturer just made my day :D

And now the pictures (do not hesitate to comment / ask as many questions as you want, I'd be glad to tease other members on this guy's skills...)

First contact : you know there's something desirable behind...

01box1af5.jpg

And you're not disappointed !

02box2zf7.jpg

03box3dd1.jpg

6art2xb1.jpg

The best AR is the one you won't notice

4art1pl4.jpg

5front1gu6.jpg

The Seagull movement which mimics the Unitas 6497

7movement1fa9.jpg

8movement2pv0.jpg

Loooom ! :D

9lume1xw9.jpg

10lume2pt1.jpg

My thick Tourby strap

11strap2ay1.jpg

12strap1dq4.jpg

Wristshots in dress 1 & 2 (black strap which was supplied, then brown strap from Tourby)

13wrist2lj8.jpg

14wrist1iz5.jpg

Hope you enjoyed :D

Thx for your comments :)

It's nice on both straps, they're just different styles, one being more a NATO like. The quality of the one that came originally is very good, but I have a small preference for the thick Tourby model. I kept both anyway, as I like to change straps according to my mood.

Awesome mate, simply awesome. I think this watch is more than an IWC Pilot tribute, it is a class of its own.

As it happens that I know the manufacturer personally I can tell you folks he is more than trustworthy and a true gentleman!

By the way, your pictures are just perfect, as always. You really have a talent to put a watch into the right setting, something only Pug or TTK were able to do this way.

Wear it in good health, I hope to see it in person soon in Brussels.

Thx for the compliments :D

Not sure if I reached the level of Pug or, better, TTK in the good old days, but I feel very proud of being able to show my watches under their best side. And very proud of having members appreciate them.

Hope to see you and others in Brussels too.

Maybe in Basel for the Baselworld : 60 km from where I live... that would be great.

I forgot to mention that the movement, even if Asian, comes serviced. What we are not used to in the rep world :lol: