When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How is the situation with Rubberclads now?

Guest Sql_pl

I browsed some old watch pics tonight and realised I start to miss my Rubberclad.

I did not have problems with the bezel - I just scratched it by accident - but it did not peel or anything.

However many other member claimed their rubber peeled off very easily.

So I wonder if there was any change in quality of the bezel recently?

How are your RCs?

Thanks!

i know there is a step by step tutorial on how to replace the bezel. But how hard is it to change the bezel? Is it something any watchmaker can do? Or is it easy to DIY?

I got mine changed from a watchsmith....his comments were that the watch is very well constructed and that it took him a fair bit of time to change the bezel. So I guess it's not that simple as you have to open up the movement.

I got mine changed from a watchsmith....his comments were that the watch is very well constructed and that it took him a fair bit of time to change the bezel. So I guess it's not that simple as you have to open up the movement.

Thanks! to the watchsmith it will go. I dont want another Destroy-It-Yourself project. :D

I bought mine from a member about two weeks ago. He claimed to have barely worn the watch. I have worn the watch 24/7 since I received it. When it came, the bezel was ok. Now (and I don't do stuntwork with my watches), the rubber wears off. Underneath, the bezel is black PVD, so it is not extremely obvious unless you look for it. The watch is sec@12 with the updated - black - date window. The problem is the permanent friction of the rubber bezel against cuffs, sweaters, jackets and the likes.

For other uses, thin rubber might be a good idea... ;) , but not for a bezel.

BezelProblem.jpg

So glad someone got this discussion started again. I have been told by several of the dealers that the "issue" has been solved as far as the peeling is concerned. I too am anxious to hear from any of you that have purchased rubber clad's in the last few months.

I really want to buy one but not if it is going to peal in the slightest.

How hard is it to make a solid rubber bezzle?

• 3 weeks later...
i know there is a step by step tutorial on how to replace the bezel. But how hard is it to change the bezel? Is it something any watchmaker can do? Or is it easy to DIY?

I took my RC apart yesterday. Major steps in removing the bezel are: opening the caseback (eight screws), removing the movement from the case (which requires removing the stem) and then unscrewing eight little nuts that secure the bezel screws in the case.

Well, we will soon see if in fact they have updated the rubber bezzle.... I just purchased mine ....

I will give a full review when it arrives....

I went with the rubber strap, black dial rubber bezzle from Josh (my third purchase)

I feel it is the best and most authentic rep. The white dial has some issues which is unfortunate as it would have been my first choice....

pics to come soon as it gets here!

What tool did you used to remove these bolts? A normal screwdriver will not do the job. Can you show the picture of the tool you used?

Thanks.

I actually used a very small (watchmaker) screwdriver. The slotted nuts on my watch have a tiny groove on either side. This is where I placed the screwdriver and carefully pushed the bolt couterclockwise. They weren't too tight...

There are of course professional tools (spanner screwdrivers) for this type of nut...

hxxp://www.wiha.com/germany/Onlineshop/Schraubendreher-Schraubenzieher/305-Wiha-SoftFinish-R-Schlitz-Mutter

This what they look like:

post-2851-1234470080_thumb.jpg

post-2851-1234470105_thumb.jpg