When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Update on the Asia 7750

teddy boy

A little over a week ago I posted that a friend who owns a bike shop showed me a catalog that included replacement watch items. The prices I posted for some items led me to conclude that you could build a high quality rep to sell for $200 and make a nice profit. One of the items was an asia 7750 movement for $16. The movement price prompted some speculation that the movement must be a POS. I asked my friend if he would order one with the idea that I would make it available to an expert on the board (The Zigmeister if he'll do it) to give us all an opportunity to find out. It turns out that there is a minimum dollar order from this supplier and my friend isn't looking to buy batteries anytime soon. He is willing to go to his friend at the jewelry store to see if they will include it on their next order. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I would be interested to learn if you can buy a decent movement for $16 and suspect that many here would be interested in the same thing. If I am successful at getting the movement, my payment to the expert who reviews it would be that they get to keep the movement. I realize that if it turns out to be junk that's not much compensation, but the process should be fun regardless. I'll keep y'all posted.

I will personally promise you .....

That you can NOT buy an Asian 7750 for $16...

Personally I think you are wasting your time...

I think there are more realistic opportunities

in the rep business...

Either this supplier is going to steel your cash,

because I will guarantee you this is not possible! ;)

Good Luck... :D

MM

The seller is a good friend who is in the bicycle business. He is certainly not interested in stealing my money, if he's able to pull this off it's as a favor. I have seen the movement listed in a wholesale watch/jewelry catalog. It may be complete junk, that's what I'm interested in finding out. The same catalog lists a 21 jewel "rolex style" movement for $18.50. These prices piqued my curiosity, that's why I'm pursuing this. If this somehow turned out to be a good movement, I'm not interested in selling them or anything like that. I am an economist and the economics of the rep market intrigue me. We keep hearing that you can't offer a replica with a high quality movement for less than X$ because the movements are so expensive. I'm just interested in obtaining one of these to test that hypoethesis. I think of this as sort of the economists science experiment.

Teddy,

I'm all for it! I think it's a great idea, even simply for curiosity sake. There is no need for anyone to be negative about what you're trying to do. If it turns out to be junk, eh, what did it hurt. There is nothing wrong with exploring to see what's out there, if no one did, we'd never get anywhere!

Keep us posted!

Teddy,

I'm all for it! I think it's a great idea, even simply for curiosity sake. There is no need for anyone to be negative about what you're trying to do. If it turns out to be junk, eh, what did it hurt. There is nothing wrong with exploring to see what's out there, if no one did, we'd never get anywhere!

Keep us posted!

I will keep everybody posted; it could be fun. If and when I get it, I post here for opinions on who should do the review. I appreciate Francisco's offer. I know that I'm not the one to look at it or try to post pictures.

Once my friend gets back to me I may ask him to get the 21 jewel "rolex style" movement too. That way we could get an evaluation of two different low priced movements. I don't know the minimum dollar amount, my friend just said that there is one. He buys 100 batteries at a time and that just clears the threshold so the minimum must be around the wholesale price of a watch battery times 100. Unfortunately he just bought batteries so he won't be ordering for awhile.

I would happily purchase one of the 7750's now, sight unseen (it might help get you up to the minimum dollar amount). I would love to see one for myself and if it turns out to be junk, I can still use the screws!!

Me too! I'd be interested in takin' a look under me microscope.