When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Don't Buy Replica Watches...They Stink...

Toadtorrent

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say that 99.9% of ALL rep owners are trying to do just that. Its far more elegant to pretend otherwise, though, isn't it?

+1000. Especially the ones who are worried about markings on lugs that will never be seen. They are planning on doing something to somebody for some reason.

+1000. Especially the ones who are worried about markings on lugs that will never be seen. They are planning on doing something to somebody for some reason.

When I was a little boy I would build plastic models (planes, cars).

Once I built a Lockeed F-104 Starfighter, 1:32 scale, that included the engine too. You had to assemble and paint the engine parts. Then, the engine was put inside the fuselage, where it couldn't be seen.

Another time, I assembled a Formula 1. The kit included some decals to be applied on the shock absorbers, hidden inside the body.

A reproduction is a reproduction; and the accuracy isn't questionable.

If someone wanted to cheat, could he count on the markers between the lugs?

As you say, they cannot be seen; so how could he count on them?

On the other side, if someone can remove the bracelet, in the same way he can check the movement or other parts

For my part, I don't think ill of anyone.

When I was a little boy I would build plastic models (planes, cars).

Once I built a Lockeed F-104 Starfighter, 1:32 scale, that included the engine too. You had to assemble and paint the engine parts. Then, the engine was put inside the fuselage, where it couldn't be seen.

Another time, I assembled a Formula 1. The kit included some decals to be applied on the shock absorbers, hidden inside the body.

A reproduction is a reproduction; and the accuracy isn't questionable.

If someone wanted to cheat, could he count on the markers between the lugs?

As you say, they cannot be seen; so how could he count on them?

On the other side, if someone can remove the bracelet, in the same way he can check the movement or other parts

For my part, I don't think ill of anyone.

Excellent post. :)

I'd say that 99.9% of ALL rep owners are trying to do just that. Its far more elegant to pretend otherwise, though, isn't it?

That said, I have no reps.

Oh.....and why are you here then?

Fakey you just questioned the integrity of a very large slice of our senior membership, is there some issues you are having at the moment?

Ken

That said, I have no reps.

I have both reps and gens.

I rarely if ever discuss my watches (gen or rep) with anyone (unless an avid collector of watches friend). It is basically for my vicarious pleasure.

No-one ever outside my watch circle sees them anyway and if they do they've never said anything. Friends know I'm "into watches", but rarely talk about it.

Let's face it unless you're into watches who looks at your wrist anyway and who cares.

I'm not unique either in the fact that I have both reps and gens of certain classic watches (Patek Philippe, Jaeger LeCoultre and also Jaquet Droz). Some of my watch collector friends have both reps and gens of certain watches - it's all part of collecting.

The reps were bought first - I liked them and I made it my business over the years to then aquire the real deal.

And whilst I can afford to do it (I mostly, but not always, purchase pre-owned classics) - I'll continue to do it.

But it is a private and personal collection and hobby - for me - and I have no interest in "posing" or fooling anyone with reps - I don't have to. B)

Those two things are not even comparable. Unless of course you were building a full size fighter. :p

I'm not so sure about that. Modding ANYTHING can be a hobby that usually turns into an obsession driven by making minute changes that only the owner/modder will ever understand or appreciate. Rep collectors are a diverse breed of people...and the ones that are into modding or researching accuracy usually have an obsessive eye for detail that can drive you to spending hours rubbing bracelets to age them...or mixing up secret formulas to tint dials or fade inserts...or apply rust or whatever. I think once you start "completing" one step in a mod...it only makes the "next" flaw stand out that much more driving you to want to take the next step...then the next...then the next.

I'm sure there are many who are doing this to be able to visually pass off the reps as gens...probably most of the people who buy reps in the world. BUT the people who frequent RWG and the other boards (who are for sure a minority as far as ALL buyers of reps in the world goes) generally view watches as more than just some bling for an image...but as a hobby and something that has a great community to be part of.

I can't speak for the world, but from what I have read on RWG, enthusiasts here are pursuing excellence mostly for themselves.

Those two things are not even comparable. Unless of course you were building a full size fighter. :p

Regarding building in detail in a model plane that nobody will see...sure there is a relation. The idea is that the modeller is focussing on, and spending substantial time pursuing a level of detail and finish on a project that nobody else will see...except the modeller or another enthusiast who will look for these details.

I complained and pursued getting a more accurate caseback on a watch because I thought it made it more complete and better overall to handle when I was putting it on. Did it affect the operation of the watch? No. Does anybody see the caseback? No. Am I trying to make it more passable as a gen? No. If anybody asks...I gladly tell them it's a rep and try to explain the whole culture of reps.

Some of my watch collector friends have both reps and gens of certain watches - it's all part of collecting.

The reps were bought first - I liked them and I made it my business over the years to then aquire the real deal.

Me and my friends are actually the reverse. We had gens first...then thought of getting more gens...then found out about the world of high accuracy reps...and found the pursuit of high accuracy to be more interesting than throwing down a credit card at an AD. It's quite exciting to read about a "super rep"...ordering it...wondering what you'll actually get...and then holding it in your hands in awe and comparing it to the gens to see for yourself just how accurate it is...and how big the micro-flaws become the more accurate a rep gets to matching its gen counterpart. In the case where you fall in love with a piece...go out and buy the gen and then have the 2 side by side...that's fun!!

Thank you for the poast Toad. I dont realy know what the problem is with a casio. It is what is,an enexpensive watch that happens to very rugged and reliable. A great everyday knock around watch. As far as Rep watches go. To me there alot like breast implants. They may not be(100%) real, but man are they alot a fun. :p Mike

Can I send my wife to Ziggy then .....??

PS ...my G-Shock Army issue has been going strong for almost 10 years now ...great to to check & regulate any mechanical movement with!!

Thank you for the poast Toad. I dont realy know what the problem is with a casio. It is what is,an enexpensive watch that happens to very rugged and reliable.

No sweat. I thought it was funny...and although current given it was written in Jun-2008...still clueless for the most part to the rep world.

Somebody some time back put up a post saying they were a pilot and wanted to know the best pilot's watch to get for a pilot's collection listing things like IWC 3717-01, B&R's, Breitlings, GMT Master II, etc...

I said from the pilot's I know...the cornerstone of their collections is a Casio G-Shock!!

No sweat. I thought it was funny...and although current given it was written in Jun-2008...still clueless for the most part to the rep world.

Somebody some time back put up a post saying they were a pilot and wanted to know the best pilot's watch to get for a pilot's collection listing things like IWC 3717-01, B&R's, Breitlings, GMT Master II, etc...

I said from the pilot's I know...the cornerstone of their collections is a Casio G-Shock!!

Again thanks Toad. I have heard that Casios were well revered among some. Thanks for the response I have also heard/read that Seikos were incredable. From what I remember there was some kind of conection between Rolex and Seiko. I dont remember what it was. Something about In-House production, I think :pardon: Maybe a topic for a another day :) Mike

You can win awards for model making. And doing something doesn't necessarily mean ripping off the local pawn shop. It could be as simple as wanting to impress your co-workers or a bar ho. And most are looking to do something like that. Different strokes for different folks I always say but whatever the reason is at least be honest about it. I happen to be one of the few who really like the way they look. I haven't ever had anyone ask about a watch I was wearing. But then again I just wear them. And I have always said if you want to drop thousands to make a rep perfect then go for it. It's your money so do what you want.

I happen to be one of the few who really like the way they look. I haven't ever had anyone ask about a watch I was wearing. But then again I just wear them. And I have always said if you want to drop thousands to make a rep perfect then go for it. It's your money so do what you want.

I would say in the general populace...you're proably one of the few who really likes the way they look. As far as the ACTIVE RWG or other forum populace...I would hazard (with no scientific measure to prove or disprove) that this is the norm and not the exception. Of course the forum(s) are filled with people looking for the "best sub" and will never be heard from again...which is why I qualify that with "ACTIVE" members. To post regularly to me implies a passion for the subject matter.

I was once attracted to the idea of "cheating" the system with a rep. I then learned that $200 fakes feel like exactly that on your wrist.

OK fair enough.But the question remains. Why are you here then? :g: Mike " Cheating the system with a rep" WT????????

OK fair enough.But the question remains. Why are you here then? :g: Mike " Cheating the system with a rep" WT????????

I'm here for entertainment. Idle curiosity I guess.

Let's not pretend for a second that people don't buy reps to be something they aren't.

Edited by lemonvr6

No, we buy reps 'cause we like watches and can't afford/don't wish to spend 100s of 1000s of dollars on a large collection of gens. Quite a few own both and have no need to "fool" anybody. You may be suprised at the number of folk who are quite well off indeed.

I think most active folks on the FORUMS (gen and rep) are interested in watches, design, lore, history, etc at a level far beyond that of the general populace of rep buyers. The usual rep buyer wants their Rolex Sub, and then they're done. People who regularly contribute here are interested in horology in general...modifying things, tinkering, taking apart, learning the history, etc...not "posing". I would agree that the usual rep buyer is trying to be something they aren't...but the contributors here who are in the minority I'm sure...are genuinely, really interested in watches, design, mechanics and history.

Many like the designs and could afford some rather expensive gens...but would rather buy many reps they find interesting...than only 1-2 expensive gens. Often...they end up buying the gens anyways.

I'm here for entertainment. Idle curiosity I guess.

Let's not pretend for a second that people don't buy reps to be something they aren't.

[/quote

So let me get this straight. The only reason you are here is to observe?(curiosity) Im thinking of all the places you could in up, and you end up here. Well Lemon I hate to break to you , but you know absolutley nothing about this hobby or its members. How incredably Repugnant. To say the members here are pretending to be something that there not is trully a sad statement. In essence this is what you are implying. I could go out today and dump 2-5 grand on a watch. I also could take that same money and have many watches and alot of good friends,and enjoy a wonderful hobby. What I dont understand is, why not speek for yourself? One thing you have proven, you dont have any respect for yourself or others. That go's alot deeper than the issue of rep/gen watches. :disgust: Mike

I would even say that you should stick around and read more...read the reviews...articles on movements...articles on modding watches...articles on photography...macro reviews, etc...and you'll soon see that as far as watch content goes, you'll be hard pressed to find it's equal out there in either the gen, rep or magazine world.

I hope your time on this forum opens up your eyes to the level of community that exists here (members helping members with parts, advice and general encouragement) as well as the level of knowledge.