When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Reps with 24-Hour Hand Only?

Synaptic02

a friend of mine (who just received a lovely navitimer for christmas from his girlfriend <thanks to me...> and has been bitten by the rep bug) asked me if there were any reps that only had a 24-hour hand, not a 12-hour hour hand, and i don't know. i searched and didn't really find the answer, so if this has been covered before and i'm just an idiot than i sincerely apologize. :)

are there any reps out there that meet this description?

thanks so much teejay, i knew i could count on you!

sadly, that is very, very similar to his navitimer already....maybe i'll buy that one and we can trade... ;)

No problem, I'm glad to be of help :) Of course, that might be a good thing if he likes his Navitimer, but just wanted something with the 24 hour dial :) There're a few other models on that link, so maybe there'll be something a bit different which he might also like :)

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing that makes me weary about the Cosmonaute rep is the 24 hour function. There's the small dial at the bottom showing 24 hours. I'm wondering if the big hands turn at 12 hours, leaving the small dial to represent AM/PM. Or it might be there to track another timezone. Anyone able to clear that up?

The only thing that makes me weary about the Cosmonaute rep is the 24 hour function. There's the small dial at the bottom showing 24 hours. I'm wondering if the big hands turn at 12 hours, leaving the small dial to represent AM/PM. Or it might be there to track another timezone. Anyone able to clear that up?

I really wouldn't like to say for sure.... At a guess, I would think that the main hands make the 24 hour sweep (would make sense, given the 24 dial markings) and I'd guess that the sub dials are the day/date/military time markers often seen on low-end chronos :) Of course, if you shoot an email to the dealer, I'm sure they'll be able to give you a more accurate answer :)

[Edit to add]

Looking at the pinion for the main hands, there appears to be a 'dark ring' between the hour and minute hands... Looking at the GMT pinion of my own watch, which has both the 12 and 24 hour hands, this 'dark ring' is not present, so I suspect, that in this instance, it is a case of the 'hour hand' simply being fitted to the GMT section, rather than the 'hour' section of the movement. Probably not the most technically accurate description, but I hope it makes sense :lol:

I really wouldn't like to say for sure.... At a guess, I would think that the main hands make the 24 hour sweep (would make sense, given the 24 dial markings) and I'd guess that the sub dials are the day/date/military time markers often seen on low-end chronos :) Of course, if you shoot an email to the dealer, I'm sure they'll be able to give you a more accurate answer :)

[Edit to add]

Looking at the pinion for the main hands, there appears to be a 'dark ring' between the hour and minute hands... Looking at the GMT pinion of my own watch, which has both the 12 and 24 hour hands, this 'dark ring' is not present, so I suspect, that in this instance, it is a case of the 'hour hand' simply being fitted to the GMT section, rather than the 'hour' section of the movement. Probably not the most technically accurate description, but I hope it makes sense :lol:

Very smart! Hadn't thought about that! It certainly makes sense that they would just use the mechanism modified for the GMT but with the normal hour hand mounted where the GMT would be.