When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG, I have a problem...RWG: Sir. May I be of some help?

monkeypie

RWG: Sir. May I be of some help?

Monkeypie: RWG, I have a problem...

RWG: Yes?

Monkeypie: I've been into Reps for three months now. I have money, I have taste. But, you know, this is the one (pointing to the Rolex Daytona). Yes, yes yes... I saw six of these on some 40 year old housewives and 19 year old girls on the subway and supermarket this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was wearing (INSERT WATCH HERE)...

RWG: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener, sir... You'd be a connoisseur.

Monkeypie: Precisely. Champagne would fall from the heavens. Doors would open. Velvet ropes would part.

I'm NOT an Ingy fan. At all. Hate them in fact... I think just about anything else from IWC would be better than an Ingy but yes, IWC is quite understated/refined. Rolex SS Datejust w/ Rhodium dial or in black, Glashutte Senator Sixties, Omega Speedmaster, Omega Constellation, Omega SMP, TAG Carrera of some sort... all these are fairly "understated" and get the point across without being "In your face"... The speedmaster and SMP are extremely versatile and the DJ is a classic

Great reference...now I have "Low Rider" running through my head. THANKS. ;)

IWC is probably the most understated of the high end brands...generally only known by watch hobbyists. For the most part PAMs are the same way. The general populace is generally not interested in watches...and if they are, they know Rolex, the women probably know Piaget and Cartier, and some possibly know Omegas.

Few in the "wild" will know Glashutte, Ball, IWC, etc...and some may know Breitling and Oris...but even if they don't...their designs are so much more big and in-your-face...they lack the undestatement of a connoisseur (IMHO...I still like them...but for a different purpose).

Omega Speedy's are pretty understated as far as the popular brand goes because the designs are based on a history of utility.

B&R's are just plain silly to me.

Interestingly enough, this is what I see everyday.

On the way to work:

Ads, in chronological order:-

Jaeger-LaCoultre (Duometer ad, side of building, around 7-8 stories in height.)

Tudor (same)

Piaget (massive billboard, 2-3x the width of a typical American billboard.)

Zenith (billboard)

IWC (advertising the Portuguese with Tourbillon, billboard sized)

Georg Jensen (bus stop sized)

Franck Muller (AD, selling only FMs)

Omega (with Mr.Bond with the Bond watch, massive building sized. I am talking about a 20 floor building, entire front face covered with the ad).

On the way back home:

Glashutte (billboard)

Audemars Piguet (billboard, showing a beautiful gold RO chronograph. Now a Porsche advert)

And add to that 8/10 magazines have a watch advertisement on their back cover. These range from Cartier to Breguet, to Audemars Piguet to Patek Phillppe. Front pages of newspapers usually have a medium size ad at the bottom corner of the page for watch ads again. These range from Longines to Ball or Rolex to Pateks.

And on TV, they have these time check programs, which basically is a 10 second ad telling you what time it is. These are usually brought by A.Lange and Sohne. Other times they are "brought to you by the Oriental Watch Company", that also shows the time on a popular watch model. It ranges from Ulysse Nardin (my favorite) to Chopards. The weather report (which runs after the news ends, as a short 5 minute stand alone program) is brought to you by Ebel.

So yeah, I live in a very, very consumerist and materialistic city. You'd have to have the rarest of the rare.

Edited by monkeypie

So yeah, I live in a very, very consumerist and materialistic city. You'd have to have the rarest of the rare.

...well in that case...you need vintage. :)

Anything current or modern will be for the fashionista fad-follower. The connoisseur goes for that which cannot be bought from the corner store...the vintage line of IWC...but perhaps a real, vintage IWC...or a Rolex 6542 project...or something like that.

I was considering a VC. I saw a gen VC Overseas Chrono which looked quite amazing in person, but wasn't so sure about the reps with chrono.

Was considering getting a 3717 ages ago, but got an AP instead. Probably getting a 3717 next.

Thanks for all your input folks. Better to wear an understated Porto Chrono than to bling out and wear a Daytona, ROO, Big Bang, and SOSF AT THE SAME TIME.