When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Steinhart

chiefwiggum

I covet the Big Pilot and recently had one attached to my wrist in Grand Cayman. I slobbered over it stroked it and fell in love and then asked the salesman how much it was.

I thought he was taking the [censored] - $11,000. "[censored] me" I said under my breath and thought about making a dash for the door. But with 18 stone to haul and my ship about half a mile offshore, I didnt want to risk the Japanese Whaling Fleet being in and getting a harpoon up me [censored]. So I took it off and reluctantly handed it back.

I have been looking and looking and looking but haven't yet been able to see a BP rep that I could actually live with.

I have resigned myself to never having one at the new price.

I was checking out some watch straps yesterday on a random google search, as you do and came across the name Steinhart. I checked a few more pages and then came across the site itself.

I then saw this:-

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index.php?i...p;Sel_ID=12#101

Yes, I know that it is not a BP but what do you think of it as an homage or should it be considered a pilot's watch in its own right.

Has anyone had any experience or knowledge of the product? I am sorely tempted but would be grateful for opinions.

Thanks in advance - Chief.

Both watches are pieces I'd have and happily wear on a daily basis. I've been several times just one click away from the Steinhart, as it's a couple of bucks cheaper than the Tourby watches and should be in the same quality group.

I'll get one of those, but still don't know when, everytime I'm about to get one, I buy a rep from the board...

good luck with that purchase!

debaufre is the u.s. based version of steinhart. i actually ordered a gold steinhart but didn't like the color so sold it and ordered a stainless steel debaufre. although i really liked the watch, it was a little too big for me and therefor i sold this one as well. 46mm is my max. i know 2mm doesn't sound like a lot but trust me, it is. if you are truly considering one of these models, i would look at one of the 44mm versions. you can add the diamond crown as an extra as well. the watch and craftsmanship is top notch, so you have no worries there! here is a shot of both my steinhart and debaufre. good luck with your purchase.

p.s. i am very happy with the iwc big pilot 5002 v1 (also see below).

DSC06420.jpg

DSC06469.jpg

DSC08263.jpg

GET ONE! They may not have many left...

This is a gorgeous piece, #44 of 333 total, and I'm proud to own it. The gold-plated Swiss 6497 is something to behold. I like it better than any of the other Pilots by Steinhart/Debaufre because of the simple dial. Anyway, here are some pics... :)

DSC_0072-2.jpg

DSC_0099-1.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

Here's a group shot with a 3717 V3 and BP V1... As you can see, it holds it's own. Because I like it so much, I've since sold my 3717 and BP.

DSC_0129-2.jpg

RSM

Edited by RedSoxMan

Thanks for the great advice and your personal views and recommendations. I do like the Steinhart but will look at the Defaubre as well. Will update the board with the decision that I make. I e-mailed Gunther at Steinhart today and they are at batch 201 - 253 so I will certainly have to get my mind made up quick.

I thought he was taking the [censored] - $11,000. "[censored] me" I said under my breath and thought about making a dash for the door. But with 18 stone to haul and my ship about half a mile offshore, I didnt want to risk the Japanese Whaling Fleet being in and getting a harpoon up me [censored]. So I took it off and reluctantly handed it back.

One of the funniest things I've read all week!!

I just bought the limited Debaufre 48mm from TZ (089/200). Fantastic watch, totally sterile dial, nice straps, nice box. You can find them second hand all the time on TZ.

For a new one, Debaufre apparently is creating a bunch of 000/200 watches for "friends." Kind of shady but they offered me one.

http://store.debaufre.com/Nav-B-Limited-Ed...-dw.03.08le.htm

I just bought the limited Debaufre 48mm from TZ (089/200). Fantastic watch, totally sterile dial, nice straps, nice box. You can find them second hand all the time on TZ.

For a new one, Debaufre apparently is creating a bunch of 000/200 watches for "friends." Kind of shady but they offered me one.

http://store.debaufre.com/Nav-B-Limited-Ed...-dw.03.08le.htm

I agree on it being shady, kinda takes the meaning out of a limited edition.