When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Members Advice On A Transaction

thomasng

I need some advice on a recent transaction I had with a member on here.

I bought a DW Vintage Daytona with a 7760 movement from a well-known member here, I paid and the item was shipped.

However, on arrival I found that the packaging wasn't very good, it didn't amount to anything more than toilet paper with the watch taken apart and stuffed into a simple paper envelope.

Then the problems begin, first the crystal has 2 cracks, not scratches, but cracks that go right through the crystal. I was absolutely stunned by this. But this was the least of my worries. The watch would not move after a lot of winding (almost 100 times), and finally did when I shook it a little. Then when I started the chronograph to test it out, I was absolutely stunned. The watch just stopped. Not the chronograph, but the whole watch. I gave it a little shake and it began moving again, but then the watch stopped again after 5 seconds.

I contacted the member, and kept the watch under observation. I wound the watch again, and placed it on my desk without chronograph running. I found that it was running well after 15 hours or so, then I tried the chornograph again. The watch froze again after 2 seconds.

So what should I do in this scenario?

There was a long post about buying from other members a while back and I tried to point out how different it is than buying from a dealer. Obviously any dealer would just replace it. If it wasn't insured and you two didn't agree on shipping damage then it isn't totally clear what should happen. I know if I sold the watch, I would just give the person a refund, in particular if my packing wasn't very good. Good luck, seems like it needs some work and a new crystal.

I need some advice on a recent transaction I had with a member on here.

I bought a DW Vintage Daytona with a 7760 movement from a well-known member here, I paid and the item was shipped.

However, on arrival I found that the packaging wasn't very good, it didn't amount to anything more than toilet paper with the watch taken apart and stuffed into a simple paper envelope.

Then the problems begin, first the crystal has 2 cracks, not scratches, but cracks that go right through the crystal. I was absolutely stunned by this. But this was the least of my worries. The watch would not move after a lot of winding (almost 100 times), and finally did when I shook it a little. Then when I started the chronograph to test it out, I was absolutely stunned. The watch just stopped. Not the chronograph, but the whole watch. I gave it a little shake and it began moving again, but then the watch stopped again after 5 seconds.

I contacted the member, and kept the watch under observation. I wound the watch again, and placed it on my desk without chronograph running. I found that it was running well after 15 hours or so, then I tried the chornograph again. The watch froze again after 2 seconds.

So what should I do in this scenario?

I'm sorry you are having that experience...I assume you had pictures of the watch prior to shipping and the condition was listed as (at least) good and in working order? I'd take pictures of the watch as it was received (with the lovely toilet paper wrapping... :wub: ) and detailed pictures of the defects. Send those to the seller and try to work it out amicably... good luck!

In my opinion, I don't think the seller valued that watch highly...judging from what you described. Bubble wrap costs...less than 1/2 fart... :lol:

PS: I don't oppose buying from other members, but I'd be very selective on who I'd buy it from. That's why I stick to our dealers (TTK, Josh, Andy, PT)...sometimes is impossible to extricate the watch from the inner packaging with bare hands!!!

Agree- The seller should go through the proper precautions and care of packaging a watch adequately when shipping. If the watch is damaged as a result, perhaps a full refund and return of the watch, or at least a partial refund to cover the cost of repair (if you prefer to keep the watch) is in order. In this case, a servicing of the movement, and a new crystal (T-21's sell for $35-ish; movement overhauls vary depending on who you go with...).

It's easy to make this situation much more complicated than it really is. The watch was described as being virtually new (I read the original description myself as I was also very interested in that piece.) Common sense dictates that a certain level of care is taken when shipping something fragile (and expensive) if it is expected to arrive intact. That is the seller's responsibility to his buyer - dealer or not. If this package arrived the way you describe, Admin, it is a case of negligence, in my opinion. I would ask for a refund because now you are in the realm of attempting to restore something delicate that has been damaged, and we all know how daunting that can be. What was his response?

Interestingly; I recently purchased a piece from this member as well. However, I have been out of the country on business for quite awhile and the piece is just sitting at my house in its fedex packaging. I am now quite anxious to see what condition it arrived in. I am going to have someone open it today. I'll let you know.

Lastly, I have purchased over 20 watches from the members and dealers of this forum, as well as many others through the mail from forums like TZ. Sadly, it appears to me that packaging varies more than just about anything else. It's often not treated as seriously as it should. The only thing that really comes close to being as unpredictable, in my opinion, is the condition description (which I am sure we all have many stories about!). Oh well...

Good luck Admin,

Richie

Hi,

I am very sorry for you that your watch is broken by shipping, I think that if someone sent a watch, I did it a few times myself, you know that it is fragile. I certenly want to ship the watch that it will arrive without any damages. So my advise is to ask the guy if he want to split the money you paid, it is his responsability that he ship the package secure and safe, and refund that to you, so that you can make the watch.

good luck

Interestingly; I recently purchased a piece from this member as well. However, I have been out of the country on business for quite awhile and the piece is just sitting at my house in its fedex packaging. I am now quite anxious to see what condition it arrived in. I am going to have someone open it today. I'll let you know.

Richie

Richie, I think you should have whoever opens your new acquisition take a series of pictures showing how it arrived, how it was protectively insulated and how the watch looked upon opening. Then you should post this with the sellers username. It will provide the forum with insight into the credibility of the seller. If we all did this when we buy things from other members, it would add value to the forum and clue us in on who is trustworthy and who it not. Just a suggeston. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have every faith that they will make it right for you.

I have bought several watches from members, and one was an expensive mistake - rather than identify the problem and thereby point a finger I definitely do not wish to point, let's just say it was advertised as having a swiss movement that turned out to be an Asian miyota (I made that up as an example of something a seller genuionely might not know).

When I contacted the seller, he had no clue (truly and no doubt in my always skeptical mind). He made every offer any man could make to make things right (pay return postage, send me a gift, refund extra for my trouble . . . everything) and refunded my money that very moment.

I think most of our regulars are like that, and I appreciate having these forums that bring like-minded people together.

No matter how this works out, may I respectfully suggest that you do as I always do when little things [censored] me off, and reflect upon the fact that as you read this short little note, some doctor, somewhere, told some parent that their child's tests came back terribly bad.

A little something I once wrote

Good Luck,

Bill

Richie, I think you should have whoever opens your new acquisition take a series of pictures showing how it arrived, how it was protectively insulated and how the watch looked upon opening. Then you should post this with the sellers username. It will provide the forum with insight into the credibility of the seller. If we all did this when we buy things from other members, it would add value to the forum and clue us in on who is trustworthy and who it not. Just a suggeston. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Good suggestion, WW, but I am not sure if it can be done. I have my camera with me and besides, the person who will most likely do me the favor of going to my house to open the pkg has acute techno-phobia. :lol: She would sooner touch a spider than touch a digital camera! I am pretty confident that she will have no trouble giving me a description over the phone, though...

A real shame this happened, toilet paper and a plain paper envelope? Wow, someone really can't be bothered to do it right. I'd be very upset about this.

Send it to The Zigmeister, and the seller needs to pay for the repair and all the shipping charges.

I just hope The Zigmeister can fix it.

Also agree with WW's idea but not the revealing of the members username (not yet) lets see how he responds to Thomas's prob before he is called out.

After all bad packaging is careless and thoughtless but it's not intentional scamming.

Ken

anyone with the right mind would not use toilet paper to pack a watch!?! especially a mechnical watch... but i do received some watch send by "unnamed" dealer packed with newspaper?!? geez, i can even read the local news.. at the end of the day, packing material wont cause mind compared to headaches after customers complaining abt damage shipment!