When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Experts' opinion requested

kitersoze

I'm excitedly in line for one of BK's super Subs, and there's the choice of having it with or without the rehaut ROLEX engraving.

I initially was thinking M serial instead of Z because it seems like all the most updated Sub versions from every dealer have this "innovation" and, since i was getting a 'new' sub, i thought this would be the most current and 'accurate' model. but i'm not particularly wild about the engraving. in fact, i actually find it visually distracting and detracting from the overall aesthetics of this classic and legendary watch.

yet when i look up the gen versions of this watch for sale online and at one AD, none have this engraving. in fact, the official Rolex site doesn't even have it on their pics for the Black and LV models (they only show it for the Blue and TT models). so what's the story with this engraving? is it simply a matter of preference, readily available to buyers in either version?

bk's sub is a work of art, and i imagine it will be my super'mariner for quite some time. i'd like to know where to qualify this rehaut engraving in terms of "accuracy" vs. my own personal taste.

sorry if this is a noob question; i searched quite a bit but couldn't find a specific reference. thanks in advance, all. ;)

I'd say 95% of the membership prefers it without the engraving.

Engraving is probably the biggest thing that keeps me from loving the GMTIIc. It looks very cheesy (albeit not as bad in real life... pictures exaggerate the visual effect).

It's very questionable design move by Rolex (imho). I simply don't like it at all... and would never, ever buy a genuine or rep Rolex with it (if I had a choice).

I'd say 95% of the membership prefers it without the engraving.

Engraving is probably the biggest thing that keeps me from loving the GMTIIc. It looks very cheesy (albeit not as bad in real life...)

It's very questionable design move by Rolex (imho). I simply don't like it at all... and would never, ever buy a genuine or rep Rolex with it (if I had a choice).

Thanks, by-tor, for the advice. So from what you're saying, i'm getting that NOT having the engraving doesn't necessarily detract instantly and massively from the overall accuracy of the bksub. is that right? i'm not going into an AD to try to pass the thing off or anything, but i'd like to make sure that NOT having the engraving is not the rep equivalent of the dial spelling it "BOLEX" or "Nubmariner"! ;)

Both are just as accurate. There's no way to tell if your watch is from 2004 or 2008 without looking at the serial (which is located between the lugs and requires bracelet removing). Same thing with the crystal coronet etching. They started to etch it only in 2005 or so and there are lots of 16610 with SELs, no lugholes and no crystal etching as well.

It's all about personal preferences. The one attraction in the sports Rolexes (for me) has always been the smooth, shiny metallic rehaut and the engraving destroys that (just imho).

+1 here. No engraving ^_^

And, allthough I didn't check the one offered by BKLM1234 and assume it is correct, most of the rep seen so far have the engraving starting/ending at different places compared to the genuine.

I think BT summed it.

In term of accurancy, all combos are possible ...so why bother.

Go with your own taste. If you do not like engraving today, there are few chances you will like it in a year from now :D

Congrats in advance for your new Sub.

Ha! I'm in the 95%. Skip the engraving and BK is a great choice. If I hadn't already just got a Euromariner, I would have gone with the BK WM9- the superlume is what does it for me. I have one franken with a relumed dial and it's the cat's meow. From now on I'm reluming all of my rep dials.