When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Help, I dropped my Orange PO

beowolf

The unthinkable has happened.

I dropped my Omega at the gym.

It is still running but the pin has broke on the bracelet, and then there is the BIG problem.....

The impact jarred some of the pieces of the face off. Most of the Hour indicator have come off. I think I can fix it with some glue but I have never open up an Omega watch before.

Suggestions?

It's not a hard thing to do with some patience. You'll need some tools, like a caseback opener, small non metal tweezers, hand pullers, screwdrivers and a 3-5x loupe. I also suggest wearing latex gloves so that you don't get fingerprints on the dial or hands.

1 - remove the movement.

2- remove the hands

3- remove the dial

4- use a pin to clean out the holes that the applied markers fit into, and on the back of the dial

5- dab a little bit of glue on the holes on the BACK of the dial

6- apply the marker to the front and hold it there till the glue starts to set. One at a time.

7- let the dial dry for a couple of days (put it and all of the other watch parts under an overturned glass to stop dust from settling on them).

8- put it all back together.

--OR--

find a watchmaker in your area and pay him/her to do it.

SMC summed it up nicely. The big issue is, you'll need tools and a clean work environment. The tools you need are:

• Caseback opening tool...or as some have used, a big ball of sticky duct tape or whatever to open the case up
  • Small screwdrivers to remove the dial (regular jeweller's screwdrivers will be too big...these are somewhat specialized)
  • Hand removal tool
  • Hand setting tool (or toothpicks, cut and "pitted")
  • Rodico for cleaning up fingerprints
  • finger cots for keeping greasy hands off of the dial and the movement

If you look at either my guide to movement swapping on a Noobmariner (Ajoesmith's guide that I reposted) or my Franck Muller Crazy Hours movement breakdown, it shows you the process of what needs to be done to decase, remove dial and hands, and reassemble everything.

You can use standard 2 part epoxy for the glue or silicone.

A rep friendly watch repair guy can easily do this for you and the cost will be minimal.

SMC summed it up nicely. The big issue is, you'll need tools and a clean work environment. The tools you need are:
  • Caseback opening tool...or as some have used, a big ball of sticky duct tape or whatever to open the case up
  • Small screwdrivers to remove the dial (regular jeweller's screwdrivers will be too big...these are somewhat specialized)
  • Hand removal tool
  • Hand setting tool (or toothpicks, cut and "pitted")
  • Rodico for cleaning up fingerprints
  • finger cots for keeping greasy hands off of the dial and the movement

If you look at either my guide to movement swapping on a Noobmariner (Ajoesmith's guide that I reposted) or my Franck Muller Crazy Hours movement breakdown, it shows you the process of what needs to be done to decase, remove dial and hands, and reassemble everything.

You can use standard 2 part epoxy for the glue or silicone.

A rep friendly watch repair guy can easily do this for you and the cost will be minimal.

Thanks guys. I will try that. One question. Could I just put glue on bottom of the markers and just place them back? Why do I have to come from behind the face?

Thanks guys. I will try that. One question. Could I just put glue on bottom of the markers and just place them back? Why do I have to come from behind the face?

I agree with all the above and one suggestion. Get a g-shock or something else for the gym. I just can't see any good of wearing a nice watch there. Too much metal and other things go bump into. i realize that it just a rep, but still.

If you try the easy route and apply the glue to the front of the dial, it'll squish out and ruin the dial. Even if it doesn't squish out, it may leech out over the course of a couple of hours and again ruin the dial.

fair enough. I am NOT go the easy route. Is this the right watch remover for omega watches?

http://www.toolusa.com/presto-watch-hand-r...tool-p-579.html

fair enough. I am NOT go the easy route. Is this the right watch remover for omega watches?

http://www.toolusa.com/presto-watch-hand-r...tool-p-579.html

That's the hand tool. That will work fine. Get post-it notes to protect the dial...or I use the Bergeon dial protectors.

The caseback can be a regular Jaxa...

That's the hand tool. That will work fine. Get post-it notes to protect the dial...or I use the Bergeon dial protectors.

The caseback can be a regular Jaxa...

Thanks guys. I am going to try this. It is hard to remove the hands once I have the hand remover? I know I can handle the other parts. The hands are the only thing I am concerned with. Will they all come off at the same time or do I have to remove each one, and How do I set them back in postion so I do not mess up the time?

Sorry for all of the question. I want to do this myself.

Edited by beowolf

You can also open the caseback ghetto style with a wadded up ball of duct tape. Works for me.

Grippy rubber gloves around a racquetball works too. I picked up my Jaxa for super cheap...and handy to have.

Well I think I am going to go another route. Josh sells a replacement dial for 40 dollars, it's going to be too hard for me to put those 5 markers back properly. The rest I know I can do

Work out the cost. $40 + $20 for shipping...I imagine a local repair person should be able to do it for less...not much less...but less.

Grippy rubber gloves around a racquetball works too. I picked up my Jaxa for super cheap...and handy to have.

Work out the cost. $40 + $20 for shipping...I imagine a local repair person should be able to do it for less...not much less...but less.

Funny you said that, I found a local watchsmith that will work on my PO, he is charging me $58.00, he said he would have it finished tomorrow. Plus he said that we can do cleanings on any of my watches, he doesnt care if they are reps or not. Servicing is another issue he said.

Edited by beowolf

UPDATE:

I got my watch back today. The watchsmith was very nice. We talked for a bit. He only charged me 40 because he said it was a fake. I told him I know, I told you before. He laughed, but he said it was a good fake, from the outside he could not tell only when he opened it.

He told me next time to buy a seiko from him, he would give me a good deal. :D

Now I have a battle scar to remind me to be careful about where I lay this watch. The orange Bezel is scratched but it is not bad. I cant take it off anyway since it has been superglued on.

Thanks for all of your help. Now I am going to get me a nice leather strap to celebrate.

LOL

I love it when a plan comes together!

You were lucky to find found a rep-friendly WS; there aren't many good ones about. The first WS I used was dirty and lied about the work he supposedly did. Now (if I can't do the job) I use a different but very good WS, who thinks reps are great!!

Edited by Importr

• 2 weeks later...

All I can say is "I know how you feel" :black_eye: . Something similar happened to me. I swore I would have nothing to do with reps again. I dont feel as bad now. When buying a rep, any rep, It's a crap shoot imho. I will always love watches. All kinds of watches. I have for years. Its just a little frustating when dealing with prouducts thats are not the gen artical. The good news is that people buy these reps and can and do enjoy them for years. I have been looking at other watches in the $100-300 range. Haurex,Seiko, citiizen, etc, there is a lot of realy nice watches out there that are not reps. They are also afordable. I just like keeping my options and mind open. Sorry about your Omega :mellow: I have the same watch with the chrono(quartz) Good luck :thumbs: Mike

Well I am going to just take this watch as a loss and get another. Hont sells the same watch with orange rubber strap for 220.00 so I am going to get it, but not until I get a skyland this month. Even if I get it fixed, it is not to say that I wont have problems with it later. I am glad I did not spend thousands of dollars for this watch when I dropped it. That would really suck.

At least I will now have an extra SS strap for it. :mellow:

Sounds good to me. Thats what I would probably do to if in the same situation. What can I say I love these reps to, just orderd a Pam 196 daylight(chrono) :) Nice watch.for $279 /w ss band. I also orderd a strap for it from Heoric18. Unbeliveable strap for $108. Live and learn I suppose. Good luck on your Breitling. :drinks: Mike