When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinions Please

RobbieG

Hi guys. I have made a descision that for comfort reasons I really prefer to not fit my genuine 42MM PO on its original steel bracelet. Since getting the OEM rubber I have been very happy with it and it has become my princliple casual and sports watch (no, not a tool watch - I don't believe in those. If I'm using tools I don't have a watch on...). That said, I realized that now I have to open up a new category as I will always need two dive type bezeled watches - one with a black bezel and dial (Sub-esq) and one with a silvery dial and bezel (YM-esq) as you all know. Of course the MMD fills the latter, dressier shoes and I thought that the PO would be filling the whole former. But in light of this new revelation I'm going to be needing a blk/blk dive watch that lives on an SS bracelet.

So I kind of have it narrowed down pretty quickly. Either get a modern Sub which is fine but not really exciting me. What I really wish was that I had the choice now to get the new black bezeled ceramic Sub, but of course the best guess is 2010 (unless Rolex puts it out earlier to spark sales in a soft market). Since that is unlikely, I can only think of one more watch that is growing on me. A perfect 42MM. Amazing in house caliber. Substatial, remarkably comfortable. AMAZING bracelet which is a big deal for me ever since being spoiled by UN bracelets. Contrasting brushed and polished surfaces (which is a must for this category for me) in a sort of different configuration. I also am pleased with the in house movement and I can kill two birds with one stone and own a German timepiece which would be cool. I did have a GO Panomaticreserve for a short time but I got rid of it for two reasons. First, smaller strapped dress watches in a non-precious metal feel cheap to me. Second, I got that particular watch as a substitute of sorts for a Lange 1 and it really isn't one. I also never wore it since I rarely wear dress watches.

Anyway, I'm thinking of giving GO another go. Do you think I should - or should I wait for the new Sub? I'm not going to do another regualr Sub as I have had one already, plus many reps, and to be honest, I just can't fade the bracelets anymore. I'm just spoiled now with luxury bracelets and I can't go back. So what do you guys think of these. The one thing though is I wish it had double AR front and back but I believe it has none. If anyone knows otherwise let me know. I do love Big Dates though - always have. Sorry but I couldn't find better pics of it. Looks much better in person. Don't know if I love the CG's though...

LikeGLove.jpg

GONew2.jpg

UnderGlass.jpg

Of the two I would go for the GO. I love this brand, you get so much quality for your money, and pictures never show their true quality. I agree an AR coating would really finish this watch off, but I guess because it's a sports watch, they didn't use it for practicality reasons....similar to Rolex. Maybe the crystal could do with a trip to Chief to add a unique AR to the watch?

You may have seen this, but there is quite a good comparison between the Rolex GMT and the GO in question. Although it's not the Submariner that is the subject of the comparison, it might give you a good idea of the pro's and con's of the brands.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg...d=0#msg_4205249

Not that difficult to me: off course you will go for the GO :) A guy who already owns two very nice UNs should have another conaisseur brand instead of the more common (sorry guys :p ) Rolex brand. At least people won't ask you if it's a fake...

Check this interesting comparison on TZ: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tre...ev=&reveal=

Thanks guys I did see that comparison. Still, something bugs me about it. The CG's and the red in the dial.

I really love the new Rolex case and bracelet. Finally feels like a real luxury item. I just didn't care for the 24 hour bezel and never really have - plus I had two other GMT's at the time, including the UN which I feel is superior to everything complication-wise. So that is why I sold it but when I did I always said I should just wait for the Sub. Maybe that is what I'll do after all. But the chrono is interesting as the pushers kind of solve the CG issue...

I have always had a soft spot for Rolex anyway, and with the crowd I run in and area I live in, nobody I know would ever think it was a fake. That is one thing about being around rich people all the time. They are so high in their towers they never even think that anybody might not be a rich as them so as to not own a genuine watch. Silly little arrogant aloof multi millionaires. Fu*k em'...

And to be honest if they did I wouldn't care. I'm the one who has to love my watches and I never give thought to that phenomenon - although I do concede that it is real...

I've just had a look at the new Cermaic sub. I think because the Sea Dweller and Submariner case design hasn't changed much over the years, with its changes this latest one looks more like a homage watch than a true Submariner. I think I would have more difficulty in choosing if the choice was between the GO Sport and the Sub 16610.

There is unlikely to be a good rep of a GO Sport in the foreseeable future, whereas with the new WM9 releases, I think the new Sub might be replicated very soon to a good standard. Robbie....just imagine that GO sitting next to your UN MMD and the GMT Big Date :wub:

My choice would be;

Gen GO Sport Evo (black datewheels)

Rep WM9 16610 / V3 DSD / wait for a rep of the ceramic Sub

Also, I think you should listen to your own advice, and Im sure you have thought this through a lot...... It's much cheaper to make a mistake in the rep world than it is in the gen world. I would take many a trip to the AD and make the salesman there do his job, and also see if you come back each time with the GO or the Rolex at the forefront of your mind. If you become attached to one then buy it, if you don't, buy it and send it to me ;)

I love GO but that particular watch looks like it's trying way too hard to be a Sub...that's just my particular opinion...

You might want to check out the Glycine Lagunare, some of Girard Perrageaux's offerings, OR you could go with a Sea-Dweller (not the new one) to be a little bit "different" vs the ubiquitous Submariner...