When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen 3035 movement on the bay

CJT74

This is the older movement for the 16800 and 168000 Submariners from the 80's. Price is OK, and hopefully so is the movement. The seller says it's fine, but you never really know til you get it installed in a watch and see how it performs, or your watchmaker takes a look at it. It's a lot to spend on a movement unless you happen to have a case lying around to put it in.

This is also the movement for many for the Datejust models from the same era, if anyone has a Franken they want to turn into a gen.

I have no idea about whether or not it's good price, but I have bought from Teokl several times and he's a great guy to deal with.

"Is this a good price for a GEN movement? I am guessing this the movement for a 40mm sub date?"

Where I come from, that much $$ would probably buy a complete 3035 powered steel DJ with a bracelet if you spend some time looking for one. Pawnshops have a lot of rolex watches for sale since the bottom fell out of the economy. The pawnshop down the road will loan $300 to $500 on a steel 3035 powered DJ or buy it outright for about $600, then sell it for $1000 to $1200 depending on condition.

Buying a raw movement is always a gamble.

I figure a 3035 movement is worth about $800 at most.

Btw, the 3035 is famous for hairsprings coming loose from the collet and more than average automatic winding problems.

Why? Because the hairspring is laser welded to the collet and they have a nasty habit of coming loose. There is no fix that I know of other than a new balance assembly. Some claim they can superglue them back but I have serious doubts.

The 1530/1570 etc was made from 1957 through the early 1990s.

The 3135 is still being made after more than 20 years.

The 3035 was killed off after only 10 years.