When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UN at Antiquorum

RobbieG

FYI, there is a MMD black dial going up at the March 5 auction. It is going with no reserve and is probably going to be a steal - just not an important collectable piece so you never know, it might even go for $1500 or so. There are also some really great other UN pieces this lot so check them all out. Just holding down the fort and doing my duty as the RWG Ulysse Nardin ambassador. :D

http://www.antiquorum.com/eng/march09_catalogue.html

I don't know why I just have a feeling that it will sell cheap - even the high range of the estimate would be a steal. You never know really. You have to understand that the typical bidder at Antiquorum doesn't usually have an interest in buying "stock" type watches with no collectable value and ETA based movements. One mans trash is another man's treasure as they say. I would love it if someone from RWG could score this...

2-19-20097-23-56AM.png

And this I might add will be a steal if it goes off at estimate. This is a 40K perpetual calendar piece, a limited edition and features the amazing jumping hour hand/pusher GMT funtion I rave about that extends to move ALL the date, day, & year functions simultaneously forward and BACKWARD across midnight on a year change. Coolest GMT / Perpetual complication made...

2-19-20097-37-43AM.png

Nice find. It's a lovely watch.

I am likely to make a bid on this although towards the bottom of the estimate.

I may get lucky...

Edited by guinea

• 2 weeks later...

Reviving this thread as the auction ended today, piece sold for $2,880 (which I'm sure RobbieG will definately call a steal :D)

Kept my eye on the thing all the way through, unfortunately this went past the point I could afford and someone got a nice little deal on it here..

..Although it'd be great if one of our members grabbed it!

My application to the UN club remains on hold.. for now.

edit: Reading this back I sound skeptical about RG calling this a steal. I'll add it definately IS a steal. Theres a similar model on WUS sales area currently priced at $4250, I was just hoping to get uber lucky :D

Here is the most complete answer I can think of:

Well keep in mind UN's limited production keeps the value of MMD's up for one thing. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: This watch has been in production since 2004 and they have only made less than 7000 of them. That is just over a thousand pieces a year. Almost like a limited edition without technically being limited. I does help keep things in perspective when it is compared against it's lower cost dive watch competitors - Rolex, Breitling, Omega, IWC, etc. Then again it does gets alot of that "exclusive" respect as well from the JLC, Blancpain, Breguet Marine, Vacheron Overseas crowd. It is a pretty unique watch in that it gets attention from both camps, but the sales figures suggest more the latter in terms of sell through. It is a little too pricey to sell to a typical buyer of a Steelfish or Planet Ocean in other words. Sort of half way between IWC and Breguet if you will, which I actualy read somewhere that is where Rolf sees that line and hence why he priced it there...

That said, I have also said that the fit, finish, etc. places it much higher than its retail price although I concede that if someone doesn't realize that it can get "perceived" as being more of a head to head with say the Breitling Aeromarine line. Not fair, but I get it as the price point and brand obscurity are working against understanding by the uninitiated. So the watch and its exclusivity and its price point and its blurred competitor list are all sort of a multi faceted paradox of sorts I suppose.

I say all that to give another way to perceive value with these particular watches. In other words when you consider what you get for the money and compare it to comparable third party ebauche based offerings from VC, BP, - it really is a "steal" at the full retail price of $7500, given what an Vacheron Overseas or Fifty Fathoms or Breguet Marine costs at retail which is the quality level it is hitting.

So as is typical of RobbieG, I gave a pretty big answer. lol. Anyway, $7500 retail new. $5500 or so with a good discount new. $4000+ not atypical for nice preowned examples. So yeah, I would say anything under $3000 is a bonafide steal given you are pretty unlikely to see any of the true quality competitors I mentioned above at that price. Not even close. A Breguet Marine piece is comparable in quality and style and is $15,300 on bracelet in SS and a VC Overseas is $11,600 retail on SS bracelet.

PS: It is also an early serial - numbered under 500, and from the alpha year. I'm sure that may of had something to do with why the high bid was above anticipated, along with an appetite for deals. Anyone who researched it probably set limits of $2500-$3000 based on comps so I suppose in retrospect it sold for exactly what it should have.