When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I want to buy a UPO, but...

dennis3506

All Planet Ocean's are not "UPO"s. UPO was a term given to the very best quality ETA clone version of the 45.5MM PO. The UPO has the recessed pearl that looks closest to the gen and the dial with the upturned feet on the logo. There is another version with a better logo without the upturned feet and it is a good watch but not a "UPO". Of course there are also lots of lower cost 45.5MM PO's but of course those aren't UPO's either. Hope that helps clear up some terminology barriers.

Bite the bullet and get a true UPO. With some modding in the future, you will have a near gen like rep, whereas the hundred dollar one will be a throw away, have no resale value and a potentially unreliable movement. With the advances made in reps today the best thing to do is buy at the upper end of the price scale. Many are near world class watches that can either be kept for years in a serious collection or sold with ease at not so much of a hit.

Food for thought Dennis... ;)

All Planet Ocean's are not "UPO"s. UPO was a term given to the very best quality ETA clone version of the 45.5MM PO. The UPO has the recessed pearl that looks closest to the gen and the dial with the upturned feet on the logo. There is another version with a better logo without the upturned feet and it is a good watch but not a "UPO". Of course there are also lots of lower cost 45.5MM PO's but of course those aren't UPO's either. Hope that helps clear up some terminology barriers.

Bite the bullet and get a true UPO. With some modding in the future, you will have a near gen like rep, whereas the hundred dollar one will be a throw away, have no resale value and a potentially unreliable movement. With the advances made in reps today the best thing to do is buy at the upper end of the price scale. Many are near world class watches that can either be kept for years in a serious collection or sold with ease at not so much of a hit.

Food for thought Dennis... ;)

Thanks for the sound advice. I thought the UPO was just a larger (45mm) version of the PO but obviously not. It's early days and I'm on a very steep learning curve.

Thanks for the sound advice. I thought the UPO was just a larger (45mm) version of the PO but obviously not. It's early days and I'm on a very steep learning curve.

The Planet Ocean has seen many different developments. At one point the 42mm version was the best around, this was known as the 4th generation of Planet Ocean's and is very hard to get hold of due to the factories not making it anymore. The factories then released an even better Planet Ocean, but in the 45mm size. This was then termed the Ultimate Planet Ocean (UPO) and is still the best around to this date (it has been around for some time now)

It's not as good when cmpared to the latest batch of replicas of other watches, eg the Breitling Skyland, but having said that, the UPO is the best Planet Ocean that money can buy.

Hi Dennis! As you are finding out, the $100 rep PO is basically inferior now. My suggestion is to contact our man in HKong and give him your requirements. I think you would be paying around $195.00 for a UPO type, since his last info to me. Still, he is close to the source and can pretty well verify its quality for you. The only question is ...do you want to spend around $200 or more for a rep???

Robbie G has good advice!...in other words, if you really are committed, buy the higher quality item....

Hi Dennis! As you are finding out, the $100 rep PO is basically inferior now. My suggestion is to contact our man in HKong and give him your requirements. I think you would be paying around $195.00 for a UPO type, since his last info to me. Still, he is close to the source and can pretty well verify its quality for you. The only question is ...do you want to spend around $200 or more for a rep???

Robbie G has good advice!...in other words, if you really are committed, buy the higher quality item....

Thanks for the info. Thian, I have sent you an email.

The Planet Ocean has seen many different developments. At one point the 42mm version was the best around, this was known as the 4th generation of Planet Ocean's and is very hard to get hold of due to the factories not making it anymore. The factories then released an even better Planet Ocean, but in the 45mm size. This was then termed the Ultimate Planet Ocean (UPO) and is still the best around to this date (it has been around for some time now)

It's not as good when cmpared to the latest batch of replicas of other watches, eg the Breitling Skyland, but having said that, the UPO is the best Planet Ocean that money can buy.

I thought just because it was a 45mm Planet Ocean, that didn't necessarily make it a UPO. As the link I posted shows, the 45mm PO can be had for as little as $118, I don't think you can buy a UPO for that.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/redirect.php?url...6cPath%3D35_114

Edited by dennis3506

I thought just because it was a 45mm Planet Ocean, that didn't necessarily make it a UPO. As the link I posted shows, the 45mm PO can be had for as little as $118, I don't think you can buy a UPO for that.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/redirect.php?url...6cPath%3D35_114

Correct, only the UPO is the UPO :) Not all 45mm PO's are UPO's. I was just giving you some history of how it came about. Most of the 45mm were pretty dodgy, until the UPO was released.