When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

question for the vintage rolex nuts

deltatahoe

so after quite a bit of thought and consideration, i've decided to hang onto my comex and replace the dial with a genuine 1665 great white dial and a genuine great white caseback. i just can't swallow selling this watch for materially less than what i put it up for sale for, and have decided that i'm not happy with the look of the comex. so i'm back to the drawing board for a better solution :g:

first off, i have a confession: i really like having my watches glow at night :rolleyes:

so given this watch is a franken already, i was thinking i might be happy with a luminova service replacement dial & hands on this watch. plus, someone on VRF is currently offering a dial and hand set here for $1k, which would be a fast and easy solution to my problem.

now, if i were to go with an original tritium dial, one concern i have is that i prefer a clean white tritium look (as opposed to yellowed markers), and my comex currently has (genuine) hands with a more yellowed look. so i think i am going to need replace the hands to match whatever new dial i purchase, b/c i'm confident at this point that whatever dial i eventually purchase is going to need to have a nice, clean look to it. i managed to fine a set of NOS 1665 hands on TZ here; i'm debating picking them out now while i can find them...

so i have several questions for you guys:

i) if you found yourself in this situation, what would you do and why?

ii) what is your estimate for what i should expect to pay for: a) an original 1665 tritium dial & b) a service luminova dial and hands

iii) do you have any suggestions as to how/where to track down genuine 1665 dials, and seemingly more difficult, a genuine great white caseback?

thanks in advance from a confused collector :mellow:

deltatahoe

i) if you found yourself in this situation, what would you do and why?

ii) what is your estimate for what i should expect to pay for:

a service luminova dial and hands

Try with WTB add on VRF.

NOS Service SL 1665 "white" dials&hands usually sells for half of what that seller is asking.

ARGH! Don't do the service replacement dial! Are you KIDDING me?!!! :yuk:

I don't know if you remember the "before" pictures, how the 1680 looked before it went off to Ziggy's spa, but it was (cough) less than beautiful.

Before.......

1.jpg

Check out the "after" pictures. It's been relumed, hands and dial, and looks absolutely stock. There's that gorgeous ivory white color you're looking for. :tu:

1680_a.jpg

1680_b.jpg

my vote :

get the gen SL dial + hands and

put an normal rep-caseback on -

1k is an ok price and you finally have a gen watch (okay exept for the case ;) )

its a better solution than the rep-comex-dial ....

BUT - i strongly suggest to leave the watch as it is - i guess you

have already too much money in this (extremly nice) watch :D

cheers,

Frank

ARGH! Don't do the service replacement dial! Are you KIDDING me?!!! :yuk:

i figured you (and the other purists) were going to say that :lol:

i'm inclined to agree, although i'm wondering how long it is going to take to find a genuine tritium dial that i'm happy with. i guess your suggestion would be to get any old dial that is in good condition (ie. no scratches) and have ziggy relume it? any thoughts/suggestions on where to find one of those? :g:

deltatahoe

Of course, Ziggy could do wonders for a glow-challenged gen dial. But, in the long run, I think you will be happier with a more nearly totally gen (except the case, which will be our little secret) watch. I also think that while the dial you are considering would probably be perfect for you (since you value glow over originality & that 1 is a later service/replacement part), it seems a bit on the pricey side. Not overly so, considering the pristine condition. But I think that, with patience, you could get a similar dial (with the present economy in the state it is) for a bit less on ebay or from 1 of the sources I PM'd previously. The handsets looks good, too, though, again, also a bit on the pricey side.

thanks for the response freddy; i know deep down that you guys are correct and that i'll be happier in the end with an original dial. given this, i'm thinking i will probably make an offer for one of the hand sets from TZ -- i have a value in mind that feels fair for these, which is definitely below the seller's asking price. assuming i can pick these up for a reasonable amount, i'll just keep an eye out and be patient for a genuine tritium 1665 dial that i'll be happy with...

but i'll be honest -- given i like the luminosity of superluminova, the service dial is a pretty tempting option. it may sound crazy, but i'm actually tempted to buy the service dial & hands while i wait to find the right tritium dial i know i'll be happy with in the long run. given the history of vintage rolex prices, i'm guessing i won't have too hard of a time selling the service dial for close to what i paid for it.

with this in mind, i have one last question with regard to the price, do you still think it is overpriced considering it includes both the luminova dial and hands? or is this typically how these are sold -- as a pair?

thanks again :victory:

deltatahoe

i have one last question with regard to the price, do you still think it is overpriced considering it includes both the luminova dial and hands? or is this typically how these are sold -- as a pair?

In my experience, dials & handsets are more often sold separately than together. But it may be worth the price premium to get a matching set. This, of course, assumes that all of the parts actually did come from the same watch, which, also in my experience, is often not the case.