When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Video of guy assembling an ETA7750

801run

While awaiting some tools to be able to do my first attempt to fix a watch movement, I was doing some research and found this video of a skilled guy assembling the ETA7750 movement:

http://blip.tv/file/324970/

Oiling and cleaning parts has been cut out of the video to save time. I think this can be a great resource for beginners, like me, to get some tips on some tricky parts, e.g. the automatic device bridge and hour hammer spring. Also just to see the how a skilled person works with the tools is great, for instance when he stabilizes the screw driver by holding it with the tweezer, neat little trick.

Great stuff, enjoy!

Regards,

801run

This is a great video!

I found it somewhere else on the web, and have already used it to repair broken parts on two Asian 7750 movements. So far, I've done everything from about 7:40 on the tape onwards. It really takes the intimidation factor out of these movements when you can just follow along like this, step-by-step.

This is a great video!

I found it somewhere else on the web, and have already used it to repair broken parts on two Asian 7750 movements. So far, I've done everything from about 7:40 on the tape onwards. It really takes the intimidation factor out of these movements when you can just follow along like this, step-by-step.

Totally agree. Great to hear you've used it and succeeded with you repairs! This video along with the ETA7750 flash guide is a good start i think when attempting this movement.

801 That's incredible, the thing that gets me is not just how it's assembled but how someone came up with the original design to create such a piece of amazing engineering :headhurt:?

Yes I know, that strikes me as well. Feels like an impossible thing to come up with =) .. I'm only guessing, but perhaps the main parts of this caliber is about the same, sort of, as some other more basic movements, and then the chrono functions have been incorporated into the design. It's like adding the dynamo to the wheel of a bicycle, voila you get the lights. So it's probably not such a great invention after all. Lol, only kidding! It's really a great piece of engineering.

Yes I know, that strikes me as well. Feels like an impossible thing to come up with =) .. I'm only guessing, but perhaps the main parts of this caliber is about the same, sort of, as some other more basic movements, and then the chrono functions have been incorporated into the design. It's like adding the dynamo to the wheel of a bicycle, voila you get the lights. So it's probably not such a great invention after all. Lol, only kidding! It's really a great piece of engineering.

I'd say!

Got to have a lot o patients as well, I was contemplating doing my own repairs on some of my watches, but after seeing that I think I have more chance falling pregnant (NB I am a man & have definitely not had a sex change to become one either).

Excellent video! Great find!!!! Question: The balance wheel is running the whole time.. is the barrel wound and powering the wheel or is it just momentum?

I was wondering the exact same thing .. he does that part really fast also, almost seems a bit sloppy =) .. puts the balance in place in like one sec and just nudges it a bit, and then it never stops. I guess it could be momentum? Could the barrel even be wound when putting it in place like he does? Wouldn't it just unwind uncontrollably then? ..

Had a look at the video, it's interesting and amusing but far from reality.

No watchmaker would use #5 tweezers to assemble any movement, it would be equivalent to someone putting a 3/4" socket on a 1/4" ratchet. Using tweezers to "stabilize" the screwdriver is a no-no, there is no need to do it, and it's just not practical.

As for the actual assembly, although it looks as if he assembled the parts, a real 7750 in the real world can't be assembled in the way shown. For example, the cannon gear is installed in the video by simply dropping it on the great wheel, in real life you have to press the cannon gear in place with a jewel press...the tilting pinion is dropped in place while the movement is running, and the lever is then installed on the tilting pinion, impossible to do in real life...and there is more...

I would suggest that anyone viewing it take it for what it is, a show and tell on how a 7750 goes together, but if your expecting to use this as a guide in assembling a 7750 in real life, your going to be in for a rude awakening when it doesn't go together as shown...

Thanks for posting it, it provided a nice touch to eating my lunch.

RG

Had a look at the video, it's interesting and amusing but far from reality.

No watchmaker would use #5 tweezers to assemble any movement, it would be equivalent to someone putting a 3/4" socket on a 1/4" ratchet. Using tweezers to "stabilize" the screwdriver is a no-no, there is no need to do it, and it's just not practical.

As for the actual assembly, although it looks as if he assembled the parts, a real 7750 in the real world can't be assembled in the way shown. For example, the cannon gear is installed in the video by simply dropping it on the great wheel, in real life you have to press the cannon gear in place with a jewel press...the tilting pinion is dropped in place while the movement is running, and the lever is then installed on the tilting pinion, impossible to do in real life...and there is more...

I would suggest that anyone viewing it take it for what it is, a show and tell on how a 7750 goes together, but if your expecting to use this as a guide in assembling a 7750 in real life, your going to be in for a rude awakening when it doesn't go together as shown...

Thanks for posting it, it provided a nice touch to eating my lunch.

RG

(a little provocation) Well Mr. know-it-all... than make me a video on how it should be done :lol: