When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Transplant Time

RobbieG

I have a new 7750 that I have been trying to sell, but it won't sell so I surrender. I have decided to also surrender to an impending rep project itch at the same time and find a suitable candidate for a transplant. From there I will do AR and lume if needed so without using those as a judge if they are substandard or missing, what would you suggest I use for the ultimate rep to put a standard layout 7750 in? Maybe if the project turns out well I can sell the movement via a whole watch instead. lol.

How about the Omega Seamaster Chrono? Still one bloody awesome rep.

smp_dial2.jpg

No need to AR it, either as the older gen version didn't have any. However, with 2XAR and ETA 7750 transplant it'd be really sweet.

Discovery is a great candidate, but given that gens can be obtained for as low as $1.9K (with all dealer discounts, etc.), does it make sense to invest tons of money on a franken? I mean, if you're going to put the watch for sale in the $800 - $1K range. Doesn't make much sense to me.

But then again, it's the same dilemma with pretty much all 7750-based gens. They're $1,5K - $2K watches mostly.

This kind of project is only good if you're building the watch for yourself... something that you're going to wear yourself, long term.

My 2c.

That's a great point BT. Depends how far you take it beyond the movement swap.

My rule is not to spend more than 30% of a Gen all-in

That's the whole dilemma with this kind of projects... those great franken-PO's for example. With all total costs, parts and time invested, you're soon in the 1K range (+ in this case you have to take the ETA 7750 market value into account).

When I look at some $500 "super reps" they simply don't make sense to me. You can buy genuine quartz Seamasters, Breitlings and TAGs for that price in the (dramatically depreciated) preowned market. And yes... while I love reps they simply can't compete technically against genuine Swiss made watches... especially the Asian 7750 ones.

Using reps as simple "base project watches" has gotten too expensive nowadays.

BCE? Unless you mod an older slow beat 7750 rep you'll have to broach (widen) the chrono second hand to fit on a gen ETA movement though, which can be pretty risky...

I already did a BCE 7750 job and flipped it. As nice as the watch looks it pictures I came to loathe the design - the crown, the case shape, the bracelet. It wears very big - although I do prefer it on croc or calf to the bracelet. I much prefer the Avenger line, although I don't love those either. I also had a gen Fish for a bit and sold it for lack of wristime - to be fair though that was partly because it was blue dialed which doesn't go with alot of my wardrobe which is alot of black and earthtones. My fav Breitling is still the classic 41.8MM Navitimer.

For something different a Blacksteel is in the running or a Porche Flat 6. I need to find out of the datewheels and rotors are backward compatable so I can sawp both from the Asian movement over. From there the hands just have to be done and that is it. Hopefully someone can confirm that for me.

The broach job isn't so bad on the 7750's really, but you are right, the hands are not compatable...

That's the whole dilemma with this kind of projects... those great franken-PO's for example. With all total costs, parts and time invested, you're soon in the 1K range (+ in this case you have to take the ETA 7750 market value into account).

When I look at some $500 "super reps" they simply don't make sense to me. You can buy genuine quartz Seamasters, Breitlings and TAGs for that price in the (dramatically depreciated) preowned market. And yes... while I love reps they simply can't compete technically against genuine Swiss made watches... especially the Asian 7750 ones.

Using reps as simple "base project watches" has gotten too expensive nowadays.

Yeah, that is why I'm leaning mostly toward not doing it at all. The thousand dollar rep escapes me I guess. I'm just trying to find something for the movement. I should probably just blow the movement out for cheap and be done with it - or keep it for parts.