When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help, what do dealers do to evade customs?

chin-up-27

Hey, i'm all but set to order my first replica, but the only thing I am worried about is the customs issue.

I live in New Zealand, and according to http://www.swissreplicarolex.net/,

My country is in the named "worst countries" for customs seizure.

Before you blast me, I have read around, and I know most dealers policies are essentailly if one goes south then we will send another and thats the lot.

This is more than generous but what do you do if you legitimately get 2 watches siezed? In real terms, is there a credible chance of this happening? Is it really 1 in 10 watches or is it a lot higher, or is that site bunk, how do they come up with such a figure?

I know people from US and UK have said on this board their customs let these babys through, but my country is only a small country of just over 4 million. They dont have neally as much traffic coming through. I found this site:

http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/ContentTo...y____24678.aspx

In a nut shell it says its illegal and finable up to $150 000. I know it says personal use is excluded but it seems a little hazy. From what I see on tv our customs is pretty stringant.

What do people think?

Thanks.

James

first you could try to ship it to your address with tracking, but without your REAL name. If it gets seized just ignore letters or claim that you don't know anything about it.

James you have next to nothing to worry about mate...No real problems with NZ or Australian customs.

Hooky remember you have to show ID to pick an EMS package up if you're not home when the postal dude turns up...Not a good idea to provide a false name with the dealer.

You are not going to get any answers here on how do dealers evade customs, methods and details of will never be discussed - All I would add is watch out for Golf Clubs....

If you choose your watch and choose your dealer, have a discussion private with the dealer.

Peace & welcome to the board

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

James you have next to nothing to worry about mate...No real problems with NZ or Australian customs.

Hooky remember you have to show ID to pick an EMS package up if you're not home when the postal dude turns up...Not a good idea to provide a false name with the dealer.

As a matter of fact you should always provide your real name so as to be in position to claim your goods as bwhitesox said...Never ever provide a false name as you will not be able to proove that something is yours!

But then again...exaggerating the crime is useless too... buying a counterfeit watch isn't the biggest of crimes. In some countries it's not even a crime at all. In my country it was still 100% legal to buy counterfeit watch for your own personal use. I don't know if they have changed the law lately... but they only wanted the vat 22% for it (if the customs stopped it).

Even if your watch gets seized, they're not going to shave your head and throw you to jail for buying a knockoff watch. These customs have much bigger concerns... like drugs and weapons for example.

It's a slight annoyance if that happens and you might get a threatening letter from Rolex (that you can wipe your arse with). In most countries that kind of letter is equals toilet paper (legal wise). Thank god corporate pigs like Rolex and Microsoft can't write the laws for us (at least not yet).

It's completely different thing if you're trying to import large amounts of counterfeit items for commercial use. Then you're in deep trouble.

PS: In most countries the customs law is downloadable in pdf format. Check your local customs homepage and read what it says about counterfeit items. It's simple as that.

The real name thing is tough, especially if you find yourself needing to pick it up from the shipper.

In the past, I have dropped or substituted a letter in my last name. In that case, it was a "simple typo", but still leaves some plausible dependability and is usually not an issue for pick-up.

However, at the end of the day it is not really worth being too paranoid and hiding your identity. If you get into the hobby, and start using PayPal it makes it tough. Although, there are still ways to hide from Paypal, the effort is almost not worth it.

They have bigger fish to fry....

-Ronin