When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona PN Vintage 6239 Poljot movement

hackR

I just recently bought a vintage Daytona that needs some work...it has the Poljot (3133) movement...is 36mm and has the higher caseback...

post-16947-1236093461_thumb.jpg post-16947-1236093474_thumb.jpg post-16947-1236093486_thumb.jpg post-16947-1236093507_thumb.jpgpost-16947-1236093519_thumb.jpg post-16947-1236093537_thumb.jpg post-16947-1236093546_thumb.jpg

I am reaching out to get some information on this model rep...Understandably, it's rare...Nearest from what i can find, it is from 2002-2004 or earlier...I am trying to learn about this particular model rep watch...The watch is vintage - yet has a lot of wear-aging on it...Info on this specific model rep and also any history of the actual gen model it reflects...

It runs great; but needs some cosmetic work -- possibly, repaint the bezel markers and it needs a new crystal...

Any help/suggestions on this would be appreciated...

I have scoured RWG, RWI, RG, etc and can't seem to find any pictures of this exact model and/or the movement...i don't have an opener, so i can't take the back off...the watch really just needs a litttle sprucing up to be close to "perfect vintage"...lol...the bezel is missing some paint (but i notice a few members have this same condition, so am wondering if i should attempt a re-paint or not)...and the crystal has some hairline cracks near 10 and an omega-logo size scuff on the middle of the dial between 2 and 3...i have stumbled upon t-21 crystals ( i think?!) - but i'm not sure if it take a T-21 crystal or not -- this watch does measure roughly at 36mm and i hear the gen is 37mm...a relative newbie to daytonas, but love this watch...help appreciated...

I am attaching some pictures...

Here's the info from the seller below:

For sale an interesting rare little Daytona 6239 with smooth pushers and black exotic dial.

This watch is out of production and quite impossible to find.

- Powered by a more than honorable Poljot manual movement, keeps great time (much more reliable than a Mystery DW)

- 36 mm case that fits the 19mm bracelet (logo on clasp, plain links)

- Pushers are NOT asymetrical on this watch.

- Correct twinlock crown

- you will also notice the slightly thicker case back

- Frozen handle on 12 hour subdial

- Chrono resets perfectly

- The dial is very crisp, with grooved sub dials.

- You will notice the slightly shifted position of all the sub dials to the left: one is closer from the edge than the right one: that's the Poljot syndrome!

- The case shows some extensive polishing, the engraved bezel lacks some paint in the engraving

- The crystal has three cracks between 10 and 11 O'clock. Not broken though, they are about 3 mm long, only visible on a certain angle.

Thanks...R-

I wouldn't worry about painting the bezel numbers- it's a sign of age and perfectly OK.

The T-21 is correct for the gen 6239's, whether it will fit your case, you can only try. I would buy an aftermarket T-21 from nostalgia2000 (Clark Watch Supply) on ebay for around $15 or so. That way you're not out much money if it doesn't work.

A watchmaker can polish the crystal and maybe then you just leave it alone w/ the cracks- heck, you're not going swimming with it. Just more legitmate signs of age.

This is a very rare watch, as you say- maybe you just leave it alone and cherish it as a collectors item. I haven't seen Poljot movements in reps around in 4-5 years.

This Daytona 6239 was originally made in the 60's - early 70's. I actually had one of these in 2000. Your piece has a nice "used" tone to it.

I would leave the bezel as is and not try to paint it. That rarely turns out well. A T-21 crystal would make a big difference as the crystal should not have rounded edges and be thicker, but I would measure the size first. It is unlikely that it will fit. The biggest issue is the thickness, this rep sits significantly higher on the wrist than a authentic 6239.

Also, I can tell you from experience that this dial looks very good with a black alligator strap & buckle.

Regards.

@alligoat --> any idea what material this crystal is?...will it polish?...thanks for the lead on where to get a crystal cheaply...

@addingwatch --> any idea when this rep was made/sold?...you had one in 2000?!...wow...you think this was made in the 90's?!...you're right that the current crystal has a rounded edge...is there a way to measure the crystal quickly?...i haven't experience is taking a watch apart (yet)...i assume the bezel bops off to expose the crystal...how do i measure it accurately?...does the watch have the higher stance due to the poljot movement?...i would have thought that being a manual wind, it doesn't need the height of a movement that has a rotor...i have not taken the caseback off yet...any suggestions on a gator strap/buckle?...i would prefer it have a worn'ish kind of look to go with the watch...

the cracks add to the aging...as do the marks, bezel, etc...if the crystal's scuff could be buffed out, that might hold me over...and at less than $20usd for a t-21 at the site referenced above, i might just try it...

i love the distressed look of this watch...and it's rarity is cool...add the poljot movement and i think i scored a good deal...

R-

The crystal is plastic, aka plexiglass. My watchmaker has a machine- you just stick the watch in there, crystal up, and it polishes it in about 10-20 seconds. you can also polish it by hand with some polishing compound and maybe a buffing wheel. Polywatch maybe is the name of the plasitic polishing compound for watch crystals- I've just used toothpaste for small scratches.

I still think your watch is quite nice as is. However, considering the watch's inherent inaccuracies (incorrect case size, symmetrical pusher layout, incorrect dial fonts, etc), I would to leave it as is because that natural age & wear tends to overshadow some of its more obvious flaws. But if you do decide to upgrade it, a Clark's crystal is a good move since they are both well made & cheap (in case it does not fit your case).

thanks freddy...i am considering going the polishing route first...the watch has a sizeable "scuff" mark on the dial that kinda obsures the dial and casts a shadow...i'd like to get that out of there...the cracks, and other minor scratches are fine aging marks...i bought it b/c of it's condition, the movement - and don't plan to do much...i do like the idea of trying out a black alligator strap and buckle...need to see that...is there a rep "rolex" logo'd buckle when these watches are put on leather?

i followed the lead above on the clark crystal - but none were listed for sale...i contacted them for a 25-21 - so i wait...

I've learned of some of the differences between this model rep and gen: case size 37mm gen vs. 36mm rep, non-sym gen vs. sym rep, poljot movement affecting the placement of the 3 and 9 subdials on the black dial, thinner caseback gen vs. thicker caseback rep, edged crystal gen vs. rounded crystal rep...what other differences are there for this model PN?...you referenced "fonts"...what else...

why is the caseback larger if the poljot movement is manual wind and doesn't need the height of a rotor?...is it just a rep-maker discretion thang?!...

R-

found this picture of a gen with black leather...(from a uk dealer)

post-16947-1236130354_thumb.jpg

did a quick side-by-side of the gen (left) and my rep (right)...

post-16947-1236130856_thumb.jpg

now i can see some of the other diffs: fonts, lume dots on dial, etc...

still nice, though!...and not noticeable unless someone is eyeing it very closely...

R-

yawn...rub eyes...tired from searching and reading...and to no avail...

@Freddy and others...how does one know which ss bracelet was "standard" on this model in its gen life?...did they come with the "riveted" bracelet or the "standard" bracelet...mine came with the standard bracelet...but i'm able to get a used "riveted" bracelet cheaply and am wondering if one or the other is closer to the original gen...

thanks!...R

Early 6239s were fitted with19mm riveted 6635-7206 with (permanently attached) 71 end links. Then, in the late 60s, Rolex introduced the folded link 7835 (also 19mm), which was fitted to the 6239 with (permanently attached) 271 end links. So either is correct. You are unlikely to find any of these gen bracelets &, if you do, you will pay a king's ransom for them. I use a folded link 7835 with (permanently attached) 357 end links on all of my Daytonas, which fit well & offer a very reasonable alternative.

If you are going the rep/aftermarket bracelet route, I would go with the standard solid link & steer clear of the riveted bracelets. They are real crap & make even gen watch heads look suspicious when I have seen them fitted. :bangin:

Thanks, freddy...

is there a good place to get pix of these bracelets?...gen and/or rep?...a lot of pix don't reference the bracelets...

curious on why riveted bracelets aren't good...is it a quality, look/feel/weight, issue?...based on the rep version i have, which one do you think would be best...you can see the one on the watch now...it's in "vintage/aged/used" condition...but i have the option on a new "riveted" bracelet and am wondering if i should give that a shot...

thanks - R

been searching and looking at gens to find the dial/version i have and which bracelet it came with...

(and i already know, i should just go with whatever i feel looks best, and is of decent quality...being anal on learning about this model)

thanks!...R