When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 Red Modified

erd04056

Been working on this one for a while

New 127 tropic

New date wheel

replacement bezel

relume the over yellow hands and hour markers

Messed with the CG's slightly

And done by me and a bit of help from the DIY articles here and on the Darkside.

95982-27310.jpg

Better camera is definately needed.....Best I can do with what I have to take fotos with.

Its from TWG ....I popped the pearl as I like the looks of a vintage without it. As a matter of fact, I sent the pearl to another member from spain who was looking for one. The tropic is from Edge. I really like Andrews 1680 because the red submariner is small like the gens. Ebay is where I found the correct datewheel with the open 6's and 9's.

I do have an extra open 6 & 9 date wheel overlay if someone is interested in fixing their 1680. It does have the white background and not the silver though.

Also have a replacement tropic 127, NOT GEN, that I'd be willing to help a fellow member out with.

I am working on a different type of "Franken" watch, so I will not be needing those two items. They are new and never been installed.

Yes, tell us about the parts and fitting them to a TWG watch. I'm amazed that a 127 would fit. Your date mag is huge- looks awesome!

And did you use white lume to tone down the yellow? I've got a TWG 5512 which I stained, but I've also thought about reluming w/ the white.

A smaller gen crown would be the only other thing that I think would look good. You're off to a great start.

127 tropic from Edge

Date wheel from ebay

Relume is not really lume at all. These usually do not glow anymore, so I looked around and tried several different combonations of things. After experimenting....I came up with JB Weld hardner. It dries to a shade that is still vintage without the overpowering yellow.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, tell us about the parts and fitting them to a TWG watch. I'm amazed that a 127 would fit. Your date mag is huge- looks awesome!

And did you use white lume to tone down the yellow? I've got a TWG 5512 which I stained, but I've also thought about reluming w/ the white.

A smaller gen crown would be the only other thing that I think would look good. You're off to a great start.

alli : what size of crown came on the original 1680? I am getting ready to start my 1680 project and I have a gen triple dot crown that came on a GMT II rep....it is the correct size crown for the GMT II but is incorrect because it has the 3 dots instead of the bar. Is that the correct crown for the 1680? I don't have a pic available yet since I'm at work.