When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Decent reps in Dubai ?

exper

I was wondering if anyone on here who has been / lives in Dubai has some recommended Dealers? Seems like the fake trade is pretty thriving there - mostly the lower end stuff on the street corners, which I'm hoping means the higher quality stuff should be around too for those in the know.

Looking to replace my Hublots as they are pretty battered and maybe pick up a few luggage peices etc.. Not really looking for gen stuff tips as I can find that myself.

Have pm'd a few members but figured a general post might get a better response

Cheers

Edited by exper

I was there past week and I'm sorry to tell you that IMO was a myth. Reps are low grade chinese fakes and located just in one market (can't remember the name) and gens was more expensive than in Europe. Was trying to find a well-priced gen aquanaut but only found it at MSRP, as well as rolex...

I was there past week and I'm sorry to tell you that IMO was a myth. Reps are low grade chinese fakes and located just in one market (can't remember the name) and gens was more expensive than in Europe. Was trying to find a well-priced gen aquanaut but only found it at MSRP, as well as rolex...

I was there 2 weeks ago and confirm this as well....no reps and gens at EU prices....

For what its worth I can tell you this - there are some outrageous reps available in the right locations. My good friend and neighbor (from Pakistan) just came back from Dubai three weeks ago. He brought back with him a small bag full of jewelry - literally - mostly handmade 18-20K necklaces for his wife and sister that have that rustic hand-pounded gypsy look. The one piece that caught my eye was a solid 18k presidential with a custom lapis face that he was wearing. My father has a gen one so I'm quite familiar with them. It was nothing short of spectacular and weighed a ton (mild exaggeration) which he openly admitted was a replica he got from a long-time friend who is a jeweler near the Burj al Arab hotel. There was one major flaw- if you want to call it that. The band did not have the Rolex crown on it - instead it had a cabochon sapphire. He paid $3500 US for it so it was no bargain, but it is one hell of a watch and according to him, it had an older gen Rolex movement in it from a different watch. He said all sorts of extremely high-end Rolex reps and hybrids (part gen, part rep) are available if you know the right people and can pay cash - especially iced reps with genuine diamond faces and bezels. Apparently solid 18k cases and bands that are encrusted are quite popular. He did tell me that he shipped it back in two pieces instead of taking it through airport customs.

Hi,

I live in Dubai since 3 years now (will leave in Summer and go back to EU).

As Dubai is badly affected by the economic crisis it's definitely a good time for shopping here. Never forget, you are in Arabia, so you'll always have to negotiate. I just recently bought a necklace for my wife on the Gold-Souq. White gold with some brillants etc. Of course she fell in love immediately. Starting price was 32,000 Dirhams (approx. 6,400 Euros) and of course I didn't want to buy it at all. Half an hour later my wife went out with it and I got it for 2,500 Dirhams (500 Euros)! I'm serious, they stopped us three times when we were about to leave the shop.

If it comes to rep watches the gold souq is the right place for you. Just take a taxi to get there. Walk through the souq one time and minimum of ten guys will ask you wether you want "copy watches and handbags". They then take you into some small apartment in the near, where they have there stuff. Don't pay more than 100 to 200 Dirhams (20 to 40 euros) for a watch, they will as for something like 700. Be aware that they only have the cheap stuff, nothing compared to what is dicussed here. Make it clear right away that you are resident not a tourist and that you know the prices!

Hope that helps,

Newton

Hi,

As Dubai is badly affected by the economic crisis it's definitely a good time for shopping here. Never forget, you are in Arabia, so you'll always have to negotiate. I just recently bought a necklace for my wife on the Gold-Souq. White gold with some brillants etc. Of course she fell in love immediately. Starting price was 32,000 Dirhams (approx. 6,400 Euros) and of course I didn't want to buy it at all. Half an hour later my wife went out with it and I got it for 2,500 Dirhams (500 Euros)! I'm serious, they stopped us three times when we were about to leave the shop.

If it comes to rep watches the gold souq is the right place for you. Just take a taxi to get there. Walk through the souq one time and minimum of ten guys will ask you wether you want "copy watches and handbags". They then take you into some small apartment in the near, where they have there stuff. Don't pay more than 100 to 200 Dirhams (20 to 40 euros) for a watch, they will as for something like 700. Be aware that they only have the cheap stuff, nothing compared to what is dicussed here. Make it clear right away that you are resident not a tourist and that you know the prices!

Hope that helps,

Newton

Excellent info mate....I might be in Dubai in about a month or so.....will check out the Gold Souq...my last time there...couldn't make it to the souq.

Hi,

Hope that helps,

Newton

Hi Newton,

which gold souq is this you are talking about? The one in the Dubia-Mall?

Thanks!

Thanks, shall pop into the Souq to check it out - cheap reps are not me at all but the bags etc might be worth giving a go to make the Mrs happy..

Funnily enough spoke to the AD in Dubai who I got my SS daytona from after 3 months on the list and guess what.. he has another white one at very slightly over RRP which I have paid a deposit and booked for a friend.. guess this blasted recession has some advantages.

Newton, any ideas about good second hand dealers for gen watches ? Usually get friends to pick things up for me as I haven't been for a while but looking forward to it as might be able to get a bargain hopefully judging by the sound of things

Edited by exper

Thanks, shall pop into the Souq to check it out - cheap reps are not me at all but the bags etc might be worth giving a go to make the Mrs happy..

Funnily enough spoke to the AD in Dubai who I got my SS daytona from after 3 months on the list and guess what.. he has another white one at very slightly over RRP which I have paid a deposit and booked for a friend.. guess this blasted recession has some advantages.

Newton, any ideas about good second hand dealers for gen watches ? Usually get friends to pick things up for me as I haven't been for a while but looking forward to it as might be able to get a bargain hopefully judging by the sound of things

Sorry. I don't know any, will try to find out and let you know!

• 6 months later...

You know, been looking at the 2nd hand market in Dubai. Some of the stuff they sell there is more expensive than the freaking AD!!

I asked about an IWC Portugese - the AD had it for 25k, but was willing to give a 30% discount (ie: ~19k). I went to the pre-owned store, and he offered it for 21.5k and wouldnt budge...

Even the rollies, the discount on the newer models is basically $100-200; simply not enough when you consider you're getting a 2nd hand piece (and we know people here can be quite abusive with their property). If you know of any honest 2nd hand guys, let me know. Would love to get a gen PAM or Rolex. barring that, any decent rep stores would be fun too :)

Edited by kingkaiser