When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage domes

Nanuq

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely love the domed crystals! Reminds me of my sold Speedy Pro... Is there a good/decent out of box rep for any of these? I know all of you put good time and effort in sourcing all of the parts/assembling them, but I have no watchmaking ability and the worst part is that it seems like it'll take months to years to get it done. I've done some searching but it seems like they are all personal creations. I admire your hard work and love the eye candy!

Ah, good question Steve. There are a couple of good sources and there have been a few comparisons done here on the site showing who has what pearl.

Ofrei has good ones, and another company (PMWF?) has 'em too... Freddy333 is a good source for that info.

There are also pre-aged pearls available on Ebay, where the back is dug out and nasty brown speckled goo is pushed in, so it looks like an authentic aged tritium pearl. They're about $25 each, I've bought a few and they look great.

@ Freddy333 the moisture got in swimming in Sardinia. I have opened the back and the damage does not seem too much (I am far from an expert) but the watch was cheap and I don't think it is worth paying to have it repaired. My 1665 is now my daily beater and is tested to 5 atmospheres and as I don't dive I am happy with it as it is. One day a gen movement and consequently a new dial will make it complete (much the same as your beauty).

@ One4adventure I'm keeping it for sentimental reasons and I might use the dial on another watch.

@ One4adventure I'm keeping it for sentimental reasons and I might use the dial on another watch.

Thanks Dieselpower, I am looking for an empty MBW case as the base of a fantasy watch project, do you know if anyone sells the empty case new? I am not even looking for Rolex markings, just that it be compatible with gen parts (crown bezel insert etc.) I am planning a tritium tube powered vintage sort of old meets new :) think of it like dropping a CRD into my series rover......

• 2 weeks later...
Is this the Mother of All Domes? The Fortis Marinemaster... all hail the dome! :notworthy:

Jeez, never mind the frickin' dome, that thing could induce an epileptic seizure! :shock:

Already I can feel my retinas burning, and the drool (not the good kind) starting to form at the corners of my mouth.....

Wow, Freddy... not only is that a nice dome, but just LOOK at those compound curves where the lugs extend down from the crown. Wowwwwwwwwwww. :wub: