When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

V2 Skyland Black Steel price drop

andreww

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Nebakanezzar... It looks great... but The Skylands have the bezel screw issue, with threaded screws falling out of the unthreaded bezel... i don't know if this is the best rep out of box to date.....

.. i give that honor to the skyland's first cousin and biggest influence: the one and only Superocean Steelfish

IMG_1794.jpg

Hi P,

I fixed the white balance on your SFSO picture. It's the least I could do for a guy who's defending my favorite rep. I'll defer to you guy's expertise on best out of the box, but I like to think you're right, and I LOVE my SFSO. I have the white face too, but on the SS bracelet, although I may go with a strap now that I've seen yours sitting on a rubik's cube. Just beautiful.

Where would I get such a strap, if I could ask?

sfso.jpg

I think that its probably too soon to start blaming any defects on the increased demand because of the lowered price. The manufacturers don't react that quickly, and we likely would have seen the BS go out of stock if the sudden demand was that great. The problems you list have always existed with this rep. Its more likely that if their supply is dwindling, that there may be more flawed examples left, as buyers have been asking dealers to pick one with properly painted lume.

Still most of what I've been seeing (aside from the bent hand example) has been just as good as what was delivered before the price drop.

Just a quick word of caution re latest flood of the AS Blacksteel reps. It appears that after the price has dropped considerably in the last few weeks, a BS maker is unable to keep with demand (this statement is supported by one of the dealers I keep in touch freequantly) and the QC standards have dropped considerably.

I've been hearing about even worse lumed dials with more than 4-5 dots badly applied, movement stopping for no apparent reasons (I thought rep makers have dealt with this issue already...obviously not), chrono pushers not engaging, bezel "screws" falling out, chrono hands falling off, chrono register hand at 6 o'clock register spinning continuously, inconsistent chrono pusher lengths...you name it, it's there. Normaly you'd expect these sort of things to be still there, let's face it we're dealing with reps, but the issues I mentioned above are usually few and far between these days.

Here's a couple of pictures from the latest batch of "cheap" V2 Blacksteels (from HBB maker), that I received from a source who wishes to remain anonimous. Both watches are from the same batch, made by same people.

Check the pushers length differences on these two, the pushers length on the second is even greater than on "standard" V1/V3 Blacksteels...also check the spinning 6 o'clock chrono register on the first picture.

Not trying to stir sh$t here, just aluding to that old "buyer beware"...and in case of Skylands and Blacksteels ALWAYS go with the dealer who will show you the photos of the watch you've paid for...;-)

I for one would go extra distance and pay a l ittle more to avoid that "OMG WTF have I just received" reaction after opening the parcel from a dropshipper.

DSC01547.jpg

DSC01550.jpg

cheers,

babola

Sorry Nebakanezzar... It looks great... but The Skylands have the bezel screw issue, with threaded screws falling out of the unthreaded bezel... i don't know if this is the best rep out of box to date.....

.. i give that honor to the skyland's first cousin and biggest influence: the one and only Superocean Steelfish

IMG_1794.jpg

The SFSO screws are the same as the Skylands. They are not real and can fall out just as easily.

Still most of what I've been seeing (aside from the bent hand example) has been just as good as what was delivered before the price drop.

Tales of problems and issues with latest batch of BS V2 are coming from PMs and emails off-line, and these people haven't shown theirs on forums, not yet anyway. Most are sent back to dealers for fix/replacement.

But let's wait and see. If I receive any more updates from fellow forumers I regularly keep in touch with about these BSes, will post them here.

Here are a couple of pictures of the beautifull Blacksteel i received from Hont. Excellent service from this dealer, along with the best price.

blacksteel2005.jpg

No quality issues seem to effect my watch. But saying that i am prob not as picky as some members. It is IMO easily one of the best reps out of the box. Any of the previously mentioned problems could effect any of our reps, not just the Blacksteel.

blacksteel2012.jpg

It hasn't left my wrist since it arrived, i am really pleased with my purchase.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Regards.

When you are looking for a 'deal' this is what you get.

They are getting rid of the last of the cr ap and this watch is done,sales dud.

Come on Dave, you and I both know Hont's watches come out of the same box as Josh's $458 version. At $458 of course it would be a dud.

I also buy from hont, my blacksteel ( no issue ), great ar coating, sorry to day that, some people just too stubbon, some people always think they are right, josh and hont sell the same watch,same service , oh no, hont provide better service, he will only ship the watch to you until you are satisfed with the lume dots, and josh ( too rich ) dont do that, im sure his sales will go down :D , he is also a very rude seller when he reply you regarding lume issue :rolleyes: