When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My modded WM9 v1

mjmurphy926

I purchased this watch from a fellow member here. It is PT's ROLEX SUBMARINER 2008 SUPREME EDITION 1:1.

When I got it, I was really impressed with the gen like appearance of the case, but upon closer inspection, I noticed the crown guards were covering the crown too much and set out to trim the inside of them. Once I was happy with the inside of the CG, i noticed the upper CG was considerably fatter than the lower!! How does this happen? Also, I noticed that the rehaut was kind of rough with several nicks and the date wheel had 1/2 the numbers too low in the window.

Discouraged, I threw it in my watch box and forgot about it.

While reading through some of BK threads, I saw a thread where he showed how to trim the outside of a CG that is too thick, so I decided to give it a shot.

I also decided to try to clean up the rehaut and install the date wheel from my v1 SSD that had all the dates centered in the window.

The CGs took a lot of work, but came out pretty nice I think. The rehaut came out nice as well.

I also wasn't too thrilled with the grayish print on the dial and decided to swap the dial with a noob dial I have had laying around for years. I also installed a watch material pearl, Clark's crystal, a noob bracelet, but I kept the wm9 clasp.

Chieftang says he still considers the noob dial as the best available (including the wm9 v2). I can't say I disagree.

I'm so happy with this watch, I think I'm going to send it to The Zigmeister for movement service and Lume.

What do you think?

IMG_0194_edit_color_small.jpg

IMG_0179_edit_color_small.jpg

Nice pics, your pearl looks very interesting, got any closer pics of it? perhaps through a loupe or something?

The pearl is from Watch Material.

Sorry, I don't have a macro lens to take closer pics, but I can tell you that it's the closest thing out there to gen. I have a gen pearl that will eventually end up on this watch as soon as I find a satisfactory insert, and other than a slight color difference (gen is very white and whereas this is kind of yellow), this pearl is pretty damn close to gen.

You can do a search on Watch Material to find more info. They're pretty popular around here.

Ah well those end links are much crisper than my noob end links.... See below.

Wow chief, that's a purdy watch!!

The thing I like most about the end links on my noob are that they fit nice and tight in the WM9 case. If you look closely though, the center of the links are not that crisp. Look at the top pic of the top end link.

It looks great, well done.

RG

Thanks R.

I've reevaluated my current projects and think you will be seeing this one very soon. :D

BTW - Thanks for the tip on crystal install...I worked out great!!

I do think the idea of a trip to the The Zigmeister spa is excellent. I know I'm still very happy with the relume on my matte dial 16800- it just makes for a fun watch. And with a movement service, you're good to go for the next 4-5 years.

Yep alli...I think it's heading North in May.