When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help me decide

wraithride

I need help making a decision on which watch to get. I've narrowed it down to three watches, and i'll be buying 2 out of the three. Thanks to the outstanding review of the IWC 3717 Spitfire by Toadtorrent, that's one I'm definitely going to pick up. The race for second place is between the Breitling superocean steelfish with the blue face, and the IWC Aquatimer. Here are some thoughts.

1. I do like the simplicity of a watch that is a non-chronograph. A nice clean look with the time and date on a nice looking face. That puts 1 point towards the superocean.

2. The fact that the superocean is "waterproof" is a nice feature. The idea of having a rep that can actually survive getting wet, is a great luxury. I know, I know, test it first and all that, but still.... :). Yet another point for the superocean.

3. The aquatimer just looks friggin cool! I love the size and design. If I pick that one up, I'm sure it'll be in line for a super lume job by the ziggmeister.

By all accounts and adding up the points, i know it seems like the SO should just win out. Of course in the world of reps, it's never that simple! :)

HELP!

WR

P.S. - Toadtorrent - Please keep your reviews to a minimum. My bank account would very much appreciate it! ;)

Edited by wraithride

You're already getting an IWC. The choice is simple. ;)

The SFSO has a great presence. Its going to be a must for your collection, now or later.

DSC01624.jpg

*sigh* yeah, that thing is just awesome. I'm being lazy, and I'll hit the search button in a second, but does anyone have any handy pics of the SO on a leather strap? Preferably black?

WR

You mean the Superocean Steelfish...not the Superocean Heritage.

I would have to say the Fish is more "practical" for daily wear...and flexible as you can change the look of it with rubber, leather, bracelet.

I love my AT though....wear it all the time...but have other watches that fill the Fish's void.

If you can get both...otherwise...I would start with the Fish...and get the AT later...especially if it goes on sale!!

You mean the Superocean Steelfish...not the Superocean Heritage.

I would have to say the Fish is more "practical" for daily wear...and flexible as you can change the look of it with rubber, leather, bracelet.

I love my AT though....wear it all the time...but have other watches that fill the Fish's void.

If you can get both...otherwise...I would start with the Fish...and get the AT later...especially if it goes on sale!!

Yes, the steelfish. I just edited my OP to restate that. I think you're right, i'll probably pull the trigger on the SO. Unless anyone has any other thoughts? I will definitely own the AT eventually.

Going once!

WR

If you're able, I'd suggest visiting an AD to try them on first. With the SFSO, when I tried one on, I felt that the dial was too small for the actual size of the case, like putting a Submariner dial into a 45 Planet Ocean case... It always looks awesome in photos, but when it came down to 'in the flesh', it just didn't do anything for me, so I'd definitely suggest a 'trying on' trip to help narrow your selection :)

If you're able, I'd suggest visiting an AD to try them on first. With the SFSO, when I tried one on, I felt that the dial was too small for the actual size of the case, like putting a Submariner dial into a 45 Planet Ocean case... It always looks awesome in photos, but when it came down to 'in the flesh', it just didn't do anything for me, so I'd definitely suggest a 'trying on' trip to help narrow your selection :)

That's a good idea, it'll give me a good idea of how they feel. The downside is that I can't seem to find an AD that carries the AT. Thanks for the idea!

WR

That's a good idea, it'll give me a good idea of how they feel. The downside is that I can't seem to find an AD that carries the AT. Thanks for the idea!

WR

No problem, glad to be of help :good: Just remember the key words to escape the AD: I'm going to have to go away and have a think about this... ;)

i say go with the SFSO,

why have 2 IWC's as ur first reps?

mix 'n match

Actually, these aren't my first reps. I have 9 or so (i think - I'm not at home and I keep miscounting in my head), so these would just be an addition to my collection. Since I know i'm getting the 3717, either the steelfish or the AT would make it so I now have 2 watches of the same brand. I already have a navitimer, and now I'll have a spitfire. :)

WR

No problem, glad to be of help :good: Just remember the key words to escape the AD: I'm going to have to go away and have a think about this... ;)

I was actually wondering about that. I like going into ADs to look, but I have yet to ask to see something behind the counter. Ok, that's not true. I was in vegas a couple of years ago when the Big Bang first came out, and a lady showed it to me without me having to ask. I wasn't sure what the easiest way to escape from an AD, when I really do have no intention of buying. I guess the worst case scenario, I'll point behind them and yell "what in the world is that!?!?" and run like hell :)

WR