When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which watch to get...decisions, decisions!

Zack G.

Hello all!

I'm new to this site, however I've been in love with watches since I was small. I just sold my Panerai PAM 253 (rep), and I am looking for a replacement daily beater. I have a gen Breitling SuperOcean, however I rarely wear it because I don't like to bang it up! This watch was a gift to me and I would like to keep it in good condition so I don't wear it as much as I probably should!

I currently have my eye on a few watches that I love the designs of. I love the Hublot Big Big, AP ROO, and the Graham Swordfish with black dial. My wrists are pretty small (only about 6.5"), however I love larger case watches which have thick cases. I like 44-47mm, and 14-17mm thickness, I believe that anything over a 47mm watch would look plain silly big on my wrist.

Which watch would you suggest I get from the above 3 choices? It's such a tough decision because each watch is beautiful in its own way, but if you had to only pic one...which would it be?? Which is the closest to the actual gen watch?

I would greatly appreciate any inputs and or wrist shots of the above watches if you have, maybe it would make my decision much easier!

Thanks guys! :)

Zack

I'm afraid I cannot help with the choice.

But I couldn't resist to shout loud: WEAR YOUR GEN ...

That is why they are made :D

I agree with Stephane...Wear your gen ;) There is no point keeping a watch, no matter if it is rep or gen, without wearing it cause that's the reason it was made ;)

even more important: it was a gift to you by someone who did not think 'oh, i hope he wont use this watch that much so it doesn't get banged up' but by someone who thought 'i like this guy so much i will give him a supernice watch so he can use the sh*t out of it'.. B)

the emotional attachement grows by wearing it, not by looking at it behind glass.

Thanks guys for the inspiring words, I will wear the Breitling more often :)

But...I need some help choosing which of the 3 watches to get!! I think the Graham Swordfish with black face may be the best bang for the buck at around $350 or so, what do you think??

I agree with Stephane...Wear your gen ;) There is no point keeping a watch, no matter if it is rep or gen, without wearing it cause that's the reason it was made ;)

Agreed. If someone was too worried about banging up a watch, they could always sell it and use a couple of those bucks to purchase a framed print of the watch they adore- heck, I'm sure that someone here would take a great photo of one for them to print off, we've got some great photographers here! :)

I have to chuckle a little bit when I first read this post, thinking about those here who go to great lengths to "vintagize" their reps with oven baked and tea stained dials, dinged up cases, scratched crystals and missing pearls... :D Each time you wear it and something happens, think of it like the marks a parent puts on a door jamb to record the growth of their child. It's not really yours until it has a little character!

well i like the roo the best.. although i am not a fan of chinese movements..

I want the watch to have a "good movement", not just some garbage. Is the chinese movement you are referring to Asian 21J? Is that movement only found in quartz watches? I am still a noob when it comes to movements. Which is the best movement to have in a rep?

I want a good quality watch with automatic movement offcourse.

Edited by Zack G.

AP ROO movement is problematic, the swordfish is just plain ugly IMO. I have a HBB and this is the watch I would choose of the three. All have Asian auto movements which have been good for me but have heard of issues here and there. I typically limit my exposure to the Asian 7750 and try to stick with the non chrono ETA movements. I would suggest a Rolex DSSD.

Great poast :thumbs: Im also into the big watch phase. Im waiting for a Pam 217 Destro. At 47mm it should be plenty big. The biggest watch that I have now is the Pam 250@ 44mm. My wrist are fair size at 7.4. Although I dont think I will go beyond 48mm,but then one never knows. Personaly I like the Hublot BB. I think the sword fish is a googley eyed watch,good name anyway. :D I dont think you should wear your Gen,nope. Send it to me, I promise to take good care of it. :p Good luck with your decision :) Mike

Hey Zack,

Welcome. Check out the link in my sig. for some info on movements... the Asian 21J is a lower end automatic movement. The ETA Clones (Asia 2836s) are generally well regarded, as are most of the Gen Swiss ETAs (If you can still find them).

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it! :)

I will be on the look out for the above watches in the classifieds. I love the SS HBB with Ceramic Bezel and CF Dial, its a beautiful watch, and so is the AP ROO. The Graham Swordfish is just the most affordable out of the 3. However I will look out for anyone who wants to part with theirs if they get tired or want something new as I can't justify buying a brand new one from the dealers, but would pickup a nice used one in very good condition :)

Edited by Zack G.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it! :)

I will be on the look out for the above watches in the classifieds. I love the SS HBB with Ceramic Bezel and CF Dial, its a beautiful watch, and so is the AP ROO. The Graham Swordfish is just the most affordable out of the 3. However I will look out for anyone who wants to part with theirs if they get tired or want something new as I can't justify buying a brand new one from the dealers, but would pickup a nice used one in very good condition :)

Hey Zack, welcome aboard!

Firstly the AP ROO movement is a worry. Some have had good experiences, some bad (mine was bad) but it's a great looking watch that really wears well if it works. The HBB is a killer in my book, am looking at pulling the trigger on an Ice Bang, although I also like the SS (very good rep). Apparently the Swordfish is a fantastic rep but if it were me I'd go Big Bang. Better in the long run. Look at the watches section, they often pop up for sale.

Oh yeah, I have a Super Ocean gen, had it for years. Wear it most days.... it'll last a life time. Get it on!

A

Don't ask "us" what rep you should buy... all of them are imperfect, you should get the one that you like the most and the one that makes you the most happy.

Just remember to choose with your heart and pay with your mind.

Edited by Corgi

Hey Zack, welcome aboard!

Firstly the AP ROO movement is a worry. Some have had good experiences, some bad (mine was bad) but it's a great looking watch that really wears well if it works. The HBB is a killer in my book, am looking at pulling the trigger on an Ice Bang, although I also like the SS (very good rep). Apparently the Swordfish is a fantastic rep but if it were me I'd go Big Bang. Better in the long run. Look at the watches section, they often pop up for sale.

Oh yeah, I have a Super Ocean gen, had it for years. Wear it most days.... it'll last a life time. Get it on!

A

I have it down to 2 watches after this post! I love the AP ROO, but if the movement is troublesome then I'd rather get something else. So its down to the Graham Swordfish and the HBB (Either SS, or Black Magic...but I want a Ceramic Bezel). Looks like everyone has something positive to say about the HBB...there must be a reason for that. :)

Don't ask "us" what rep you should buy... all of them are imperfect, you should get the one that you like the most and the one that makes you the most happy.

Just remember to choose with your heart and pay with your mind.

Great advice! Thank You!

Edited by Zack G.