When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aligning the Crown Coronet esthetically

highoeyazmuhudee

On my Sub when I screw down the crown its final posistion is almost upside down. This looks odd to me. I have seen gens with the final screw down posistion like this as well, but was wondering what could i do to align it more anatropous. I have spare crown stems for the movement if it involves cutting new ones.

thanks

On my Sub when I screw down the crown its final posistion is almost upside down. This looks odd to me. I have seen gens with the final screw down posistion like this as well, but was wondering what could i do to align it more anatropous. I have spare crown stems for the movement if it involves cutting new ones.

thanks

It can only be fixed with a new tube/crown install as the threading of these determine the final position....not worth the effort IMHO.....although it is nice when they work out as seen on my "Fat Gal"

006.jpg

Forget it.

Crown position is simply luck-of-the-draw. Unless you're an expert at modifying/drilling, own tube taps & keys, it's not going to happen.

The reason why a crown always re-seats in the same position is for two reasons: 1) the crown-tube doesn't move--it's fixed to the case--and neither do the threads on the tube that determine where the screw-down begins and ends. 2), The threads on the inside of the crown itself are also obviously fixed and can't be changed either.

Removing the tube & going through the trial & error process of trying to find the perfect position for the crown to sit straight up is too redundant even for experts.

Your best/easiest bet is to buy a few crowns with stems from the original dealer & see if one of those will screw in differently on your case's tube.

Having just put a new BK crown and tube in a Noobmariner, I think it could be done. I noticed there was quite a bit of play between "tight" and "real tight" when screwing in the tube.

I believe if you coated the tube with red Loc-Tite and then screwed it in with the crown installed until it started getting tight you could adjust it at least to one of the two "correct" positions and then let the Loc-Tite set up.

Although I personally wouldn't care enough to worry about it. I also think that the crown posiition would slowly change as the O-ring at the top inside the crown became worn and crushed.

No offense, but I would find something else to neurose over. Trying to align the crown is an exercise in sheer futility since its position varies with crown tightness, air temperature/pressure & the age/condition of the rubber gaskets. Even if you spent the time & effort to align it perfectly, I would wager that, 1-3 days from now, it will have shifted position on you & you will pull the rest of your hair out.

Thanks for the info guys. I had always pondered the question. Now I consider myself lucky on the Gen OPD where the crown aligns 99% perfectly when screwed all the way down. On my SSD V2, to get it to align, I just unscrew the crown about a quarter of the way back out...just 'cuz I am that anal!! :p:D