When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Audi TT - Need some infos!

slay

Hey,

Since my car is giving me nothing but trouble, I'm looking to get an Audi TT. But while checking for used Audi TT's (not the brand new model!) I noticed that quite a few of them have a replacement engine...

Can anyone tell me about the ups and downs of this car? Does anyone of you ever had a TT and what can you say about the car? Looking for any input I can get :) (even alternatives)

I have never driven one, but as a whole, Audi build some great cars, with very good engines.

The older TT's (the first batch) were supposedly a bit of a nightmare to drive hard on twisty roads, but as an everyday car they're very good.

If you're after a good roadster also have a look at the Honda S2000 (one of the best in it's class), the Mazda Mx-5 (a legend in its own right) and also if you want something German, the BMW Z4 is a great little car!

The Z4 is also very nice, to be honest I'd prefer it over the TT, but I'm sort of on a budget and the Z4 is still a bit expensive for me (this will probably change in a year when the "new z4" is out).

Why exactly are the earlier TT's a nightmare to drive? I was actually looking to get one from '00 :p

Edited by slay

One of my biggest hobbies other than watches are CARS. I have had Audi's, Mercedes, BMWs, and Porsches

Yes Audi s make a GREAT car but I believe they are overpriced VWs. I would stay way from any of the 2.7 turbo engines. Over time the turbo will go bad and can be costly. This is what happened to my A6 with 68K miles.

I am not sure where you are from but my dealer I deal with will ship anywhere.

Depending on your budget I would take a look at the Mercedes SLK 320.

Here is one at the dealer I buy all my cars from. http://www.westtownimportedcars.com/cgi-bi...1&d_id=1003

If I were to rank my cars they would go:

Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, & Audi - Yes I only like GERMAN cars.

There are some great deals out there. You should find a great car from $13-$18K for a 2000-20002 models.

Good LUCK!!!

The old TT sits on a Golf platform which paired with the TT's shape and stiffened suspension lead to oversteer. Some people lost control at high speed and after a couple of fatal accidents Audi decided to add a boot spoiler for added traction. Best to go for the 3.2 quattro, as the turbo's won't last too long plus you'll need to get the cam belt changed quite frequently. The new TT is worlds better, especially if you are not just after a cruiser.

I have a 2003 A4 3.0 manual with the sport package and I like it a lot.

If you are going to buy a TT the only way to go is with a pre-owned certified with the extended warranty. There will be little things here and there that need to be fixed and they tend to be pricey on an Audi. You can get it from a dealer or a private seller just make sure it has the extended warranty to 100K, it will save you thousands.

Audis are great, I love German cars too. I had a Audi A8 Quattro for 4 years which I enjoyed thoroughly until my tranny went out, a costly $8000 fix. Lots of 4 wheel power for a heavy car. Other than the transmission problem, it drove like a champ. My girlfriend currently has an Audi A4 quattro which is a fun little car to drive, great for parking in San Francisco. I love BMWs too, but they've let me down...owned a 3series convertible in my 20s which was in the shop often, and my last was a 540i which was a blast to drive until things started falling apart on it around 85k miles, 2 cylinders were misfiring, etc.

I've driven the Audi TT and it's a fun car with fun performance. I'm currently driving a CL500, but thinking about going smaller again in my next car.

The funny thing is...the only car that NEVER gave me any problems was my Honda Accord I used through High School and College...forgot to do oil changes, sometimes a service here and there, and it served me well on long roadtrips through college until it got in a wreck. The only car that never gave me any problems...but of course not the same driving experience we're all talking about ;)

i'd stay away from used TT's if you want a reliable daily driver. Its fun to have as a second or weekend car though.

A couple of years ago i was looking into TT's and from what i read in reviews and forums they were problematic. Many "recent" audis (late 90's early '00's ) are.

Talk to the owners on audi forum, they'll give you pro's and con's.

Don't do it.

Having nervously taken receipt of a new V6 TT as a courtesy car (whilst my beloved A5 is in hospital), I have to say I was surprised and impressed. But then that's beacuse it's NOTHING like the Mk I version with a weedy engine and ropey handling (and horrible reliability, so I'm told) - no, this is a true car in its own right. No wonder the talk of the TT RS (yes they're making it AS WELL as the just launched TTS) is that of a 'baby R8'.

I'd steer well clear of the Mk.I for the reasons above (and unless you like the gay hairdresser look) and see what's on offer in the early Mk II 2006 sector....you may be surprised how little one of these (high mileage in 2.0 manual form) would set you back.

Yes Audi s make a GREAT car but I believe they are overpriced VWs.

:rolleyes:

That's like saying a Bentley is just an overpriced 7-series.....or is there more than meets the eye?

Truth be told, you can't really generalise like that - there are only good cars and bad cars. Your beloved Porsche (bleeuurgh) have made some god awful cars (not to mention deathtraps) in their time, whilst Mercedes (who I defected from last year) make quite a few you think 'what the hell were they thinking?!' whilst still bringing out the odd gem occasionally. For me Audi are the best all-rounders....there are just no real stinkers in the range (boring at worst) but a handful of standouts (V10 R8 obviously, S5, RS6, TTS).

If I ever stumble on something lucrative in my lifetime, I may indulge myself say, with a Maserati GT, a DBS V12, and a '58 300SL for 'fun', but I'll always look to Audi for an everyday ride. Overpriced or not. :p

What do you think about the following cars:

Late 90's Mercedes SLK 200/230

Late 90's Mercedes CLK 200/230 (would consider a 320 aswell, seeing that the 200 has only 136HP)

They are all in the range of 7000-8000Euro (11.000$), better "bang for the buck" than the TT? I don't want to visit the shop all the time, so I guess you guys convinced me that I should better stay away from the TT, sounds problematic. I really like Audi, but I feel they are awfully overpriced, I can't get a decent A3 for less than 15.000Euro (!), I'd rather get an older CLK or SLK than then old A3 model.

Btw. one of my friends had the new TTS in orange, looked sooo wicked!

Edited by slay

What do you think about the following cars:

Late 90's Mercedes SLK 200/230

Late 90's Mercedes CLK 200/230 (would consider a 320 aswell, seeing that the 200 has only 136HP)

They are all in the range of 7000-8000Euro (11.000$), better "bang for the buck" than the TT? I don't want to visit the shop all the time, so I guess you guys convinced me that I should better stay away from the TT, sounds problematic. I really like Audi, but I feel they are awfully overpriced, I can't get a decent A3 for less than 15.000Euro (!), I'd rather get an older CLK or SLK than then old A3 model.

Btw. one of my friends had the new TTS in orange, looked sooo wicked!

Stay away from the 2-litre diesel engine on both, it's so asthmatic it's laughable. The 220CDI is much better and the torque will benefit you in the bigger CLK. If you choose the SLK (or SLGay as it was nicknamed) then go for the 230 petrol. Late 90s models were still all dogs though.

No diesel for me, the CLK200K and 230K are both gasoline, not diesel? I don't like the older Diesel, acceleration is awful, plus you pay a lot of taxes for them here.

SLK looks a bit gay, or like a womens car, you are right, but its a convertible with a steel roof (I don't like the textile roofs) and it's good value for the money. I'd prefer the CLK, but if I get a nice deal on the SLK, why not!

Edited by slay