When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blacksteel from Hont

turbox7

Ah ok I know what you mean now. This should be a very simple case of removing the hand and re-installing it if it isn't on the hand post properly. This would be a very simple job for a watchsmith. I would try that first before sending it back, it would probably cost lest too!

Sending it back would cost you more than doing this yourself or by a watch smith.

I don't even think you need to reinstall the running seconds hands, but maybe you can just gently push it in place with a tooth pick. Then first you need to get the movement + dial out. should not be a too biggie problem.

start with looking here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Installing-Valjo...ewh-t37058.html

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Guide-replacing-...n-7-t24754.html

or find some more info on how to remove the crown stem.

Good luck and post us the update!

@hooky - Thanks for the advice and threads! Some awesome information there. The work does look straightforward, but I don't have the tools to perform this change :unsure:

Further inspection (aka alot of staring), I am unsure if the hand itself is misaligned, or if the entire stem is crooked :doh:

a better (MORE SHARP) picture might help.

what you always need with replica's are some (cheap) screwdrivers. You need one that will fit in the hole on the movement to push in to get the crown stem out. Easily findable on ebay. a rubber ball to get the case back open is also helpful. put in the search bar on ebay the words: panerai ball. and you will find what i mean. I had both pink and yellow. the yellow worked better for me, more stiff ball.

Cheers!

Agree as well. better send it back AND discuss custom risk of sending it back with the dealer. he might want you to use a specific shipping method for him taking custom risk!

I wouldn't do anything with the watch if I were you, meaning I wouldn't send it back yet. This is of course under assumption you have an access to a local watchmaker.

Contact Hont and ask him to send you a replacement chrono hand. He has a good plug in with both the makers of V1/V3 and V2 Skyland Avengers and getting a spare like this would be a doddle for him. Then get it installed localy by a watchmaker. I'd only resort to sending it back for such a simple fix if I couldn't do it myself or find a watchmaker in my area that would do this.

Good luck!

I wouldn't do anything with the watch if I were you, meaning I wouldn't send it back yet. This is of course under assumption you have an access to a local watchmaker.

Contact Hont and ask him to send you a replacement chrono hand. He has a good plug in with both the makers of V1/V3 and V2 Skyland Avengers and getting a spare like this would be a doddle for him. Then get it installed localy by a watchmaker. I'd only resort to sending it back for such a simple fix if I couldn't do it myself or find a watchmaker in my area that would do this.

Good luck!

Hmm, if i take another look at the picture, it seems that the running seconds hand sits higher on its pin than the other small red hands. Even though it looks funny to the side. this could mean that it is just not properly placed and still can be repaired very easily. I really suggest that you try that first, so get the case back open, get the movement out and reinstall the hand. If that does not work, than send it back. You can also ask a watch smith to try it. should not cost more than 15usd, because to get the movement in and out, all together should not take more than 10minutes for the experienced person.

Good luck!

I really suggest that you try that first, so get the case back open, get the movement out and reinstall the hand.

The hand is crooked, it's two-part construction, tube and hand that's pressed onto the tube and tube top that's press-rounded on top of the hand.

While the tube appears Ok, the hand itself seems to have detached from the top of the tube and twisted. For someone like The Zigmeister this could be a simple fix but for most of the others without appropriate skills and tools, it would present a challenge.

I still stick to my original suggestion...first Hont for the hand, then watchmaker for install ;-)

I just double checked it with my own Black Steel V3.

when taking a look at this picture:

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4921/bspinup.jpg

the running seconds hand seems quite high from the dial. I mean, you can totally see the tube. On my own Black Steel the tube cannot be seen by far. the small hand is almost pressed on the dial. Can't see the tube from any angle.

You can also compare this to the other 2 small red hands. with them you cannot see the tube. So my first guess is that the seconds hands is not properly installed and has space to hang half on its pin, looking crooked like it is right now. And I would first try to see if the problem can be corrected by reinstalling the hand or by pushing it IN ITS Place on the running seconds pin @ 9.

if that does not work, then sending it back to Hont, or get a new hand from Hont if the hand is not ok or ask a watch smith.

Lately I am lazy with those things and I always let my watch smith arrange it. But then again, he also work on original expensive watches and is very good and very cheap. :)

Yes - compared to the other subdial hands, the second hand is really off. I've emailed Hont but he has yet to reply. This is my first time dealing with him so I'm hoping for the best.

Can anyone recommend a rep friendly watchsmith in New York if a replacement is not an option?

• 4 weeks later...

Update: So it's taken some time - but I finally got a replacement. Everything looks good - second hand is not crooked, lume dots look surprisingly good, and the replacement movement is even quieter than my first one.

I was pretty happy that I sent it back - until I ran the chrono :( I started the chrono and now it won't stop. I cannot stop or reset the chrono at all. The pushers look/feel like they are pressed down already - pushing these don't do anything.

Can anyone help?

It's a beautiful piece - but so far no luck at all :(

you should open the case back to see what is going on. and maybe make some pictures while trying to push the reset button.

still think that the running seconds of the other model could be easily repaired. This one can be more difficult and maybe has to be sent back again if you don't find a rep friendly watch smith.

This sounds like one of the bad batch of V2's? Some of the a7750s installed in SuperAvenger's and Skylands were a bit....crap. In your case, it sems like the levers are jammed.

I'm not sure if I'd even bother to get it fixed. Send it back again.

The QC should have been done on this :rolleyes:

It is not always who is right or wrong. it is balancing between choices about what is best for you with terms of costs of shipments, how many weeks you don't have your beloved watch and what to expect next with the other watch. Even if I have a warranty I always try to fix my watch locally with estimated costs under 45usd. If estimate costs are more I will ship them back to China.

Normally Hont's stuff is very good. If you need to send it back again, I would demand an extra strap or something when they send it back or a huge discount on the next watch to cover your shipping cost and efforts.

good luck.