When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Really torn between choosing a Pam

clkcadet

First things first, I have a 6" wrist (dont make fun :p )

I have owned a gen 48, and a rep 111 in the past. The 48 was great and I only sold it because I bought low and sold it for an awesome profit. A few months down the road I bought a 111 which I wore from time to time. It wasnt too big but it did look like I was wearing something large and people would question me and say wow that watch is huge.

Anyways.. I can source a rep 48 so thats not a problem, but now my eyes have caught the 253 which I totally love the look! It seems really perfect because there arent many flaws on the newest version. It looks as if it might be about the same size of the 111, but then again it can be bigger due to the chronos and thickness of the crystal.

Does anybody have any advice for me so I can finally plunk down my cash and make a decision! If the 253 is a rather large watch, I will just skip it because I know it will sit in my drawer like my 111 did.

Heres a little eye candy

Panerai253p1mid.jpg

panerai48.jpg

First things first, I have a 6" wrist (dont make fun :p )

I have owned a gen 48, and a rep 111 in the past. The 48 was great and I only sold it because I bought low and sold it for an awesome profit. A few months down the road I bought a 111 which I wore from time to time. It wasnt too big but it did look like I was wearing something large and people would question me and say wow that watch is huge.

Anyways.. I can source a rep 48 so thats not a problem, but now my eyes have caught the 253 which I totally love the look! It seems really perfect because there arent many flaws on the newest version. It looks as if it might be about the same size of the 111, but then again it can be bigger due to the chronos and thickness of the crystal.

Does anybody have any advice for me so I can finally plunk down my cash and make a decision! If the 253 is a rather large watch, I will just skip it because I know it will sit in my drawer like my 111 did.

The newest Version3 of the 253 has plenty of flaws. It doesnt detract from it being a well made and good looking watch though. I just did a review on V2 and V3 of this watch. have a look at it. Both versions are worth considering

Well, I am in the same situation as you. My wrists are 6.1 inches in circumference - puny, teeney whatever....

To have that thought of considering another 44mm all over again and contemplating is a thought in action. You know you will eventually get the 253 very soon.

Why? Because you have pulled off a 111 in the past. The saying is true, "Your Past will come Haunting You." - it almost always does.

To overcome small wrists, in my opinion is to strap on either a tapered strap like the OEM Calf with a 22mm thumnail buckle, or go to the extreme: Try unstitched 5-6mm straps with a Pre-V buckle - that's how I do it anyways.

Chunky as they are, 44mm(s) are just about the maximum size I would go. A 47mm will look like I just got out of a Clock factory - sponsorship in progress.

I am not sure how good the movements are. Remember that the more complications in a movement, the more likely of on-coming problems - logically that is. So that's where I would worry more....

Just get it already - a researched bought-and-proven piece that is - you will love.

I believe that a 44mm 1950 case should be on par if not shallower than a luminor case (might be wrong on this), oh well, at least it feels like it.

Well, I am in the same situation as you. My wrists are 6.1 inches in circumference - puny, teeney whatever....

To have that thought of considering another 44mm all over again and contemplating is a thought in action. You know you will eventually get the 253 very soon.

Why? Because you have pulled off a 111 in the past. The saying is true, "Your Past will come Haunting You." - it almost always does.

To overcome small wrists, in my opinion is to strap on either a tapered strap like the OEM Calf with a 22mm thumnail buckle, or go to the extreme: Try unstitched 5-6mm straps with a Pre-V buckle - that's how I do it anyways.

Chunky as they are, 44mm(s) are just about the maximum size I would go. A 47mm will look like I just got out of a Clock factory - sponsorship in progress.

I am not sure how good the movements are. Remember that the more complications in a movement, the more likely of on-coming problems - logically that is. So that's where I would worry more....

Just get it already - a researched bought-and-proven piece that is - you will love.

I believe that a 44mm 1950 case should be on par if not shallower than a luminor case (might be wrong on this), oh well, at least it feels like it.

Thanks for the wise words. As I am finding the 48 hard to find, I will probably go ahead with the 253. Hont can get me a 48 but I am waiting on his photos and pricing. Worse case scanerio, it doesnt fit I can sell it to somebody and make a new search for a 40mm pam. That being said... I gotta sell my SSD!

The PAM253 will look a bit bigger. difference is because of the chrono pushers and the higher crystal.

Like Pre-V said, you could mount a big think strap with buckle on it. That is what I did on my pam253. And a brownisch color strap makes the watch head 'pop out' more than a black (rubber) strap, because of more contrast.

I believe V3 has more white lume. Gen has more greenish (c3) lume. And v2 has some issues with font. difficult to choose.... :)

V3 for sure on this one (found a good price from trevor on rg)

I have a DSSD as well, is the 253 size much bigger than a DSSD? I think it fits nicely :)

As for extra straps I would defintely do a brown strap but I can't pull off the thick ones.. Ill get one to fit the deploy (or thumbnail I have at home from my 111)

Update:

Found a 253 v3 at a great price, BUT I also found a great source for a 48. I know the 48 is rare and this one looks real good.

It is killing me to make a decision now!

If anyone needs the source to finding a 48 feel free to email me. I don't want to put it publicly as they are not a dealer on this forum. I have done business with them before I came to rwg and I was very impressed with their quality.

I am leaning towards the 253 only because I think the 48 can be my backup if I really can't handle the size. I just wish the local AD had one to try on for size!

Get both!

The 253/212/213 wear smaller than "normal" Luminors because of the 1950 style case, IMO.

Good luck!

Would you say its comparable to the deepsea? I have that at home and it fits pretty well. I am down to the wire... Must make a choice by tonight (so they can ship same day)

I am a crazy mind changer!

I am pressing the button on the 48... They are so rare so I gotta try it out. If its no good I will pick up a 253 afterwards.

On the 48... Is the valjoux 7750 the good movement? It has a beautiful date font... Can't wait to show you guys

• 1 year later...

This feels a bit like necrophilia, but what became of this? I'm really interested in 005's at the moment, but I have small girly wrists too.. Just over 6.5"..

A 44mm seems like it would draw too much attention. Are there any other comparably well made Pams in 40mm sizes?

The MBK/MBWs are the best of the bunch but quite pricey mate...try contacting Narika (Reg) He would be able to pick you one up...