When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vostok-europe

mjmurphy926

I have had good luck with some of Vostok's automatic movements. In fact, they have a pretty good anti-shock system. I once rode 4 hours off-road dirt bikes wearing a Vostok Amphibian. It is also my skiing/snowboarding watch. Thing is still running in the winder perfectly after 3 years.

Movements are solid, but some of the case/crown external components could be improved. The 2 Vostoks I have had have both had wobbly crowns, loose bezels, etc.

I have had good luck with some of Vostok's automatic movements. In fact, they have a pretty good anti-shock system. I once rode 4 hours off-road dirt bikes wearing a Vostok Amphibian. It is also my skiing/snowboarding watch. Thing is still running in the winder perfectly after 3 years.

Movements are solid, but some of the case/crown external components could be improved. The 2 Vostoks I have had have both had wobbly crowns, loose bezels, etc.

Thank you sir...I believe this model does not have a screw down crown. Maybe I'll choose a different GMT model that does.

Like this:

regular_rocket_n1_2426-2204045_big_.jpg

I had nothing but problems with my Vostoks. As with all mechanical things Russian, their reliability is a shot in the dark--more so than reps, even. They are also a ROYAL pain in the ass to regulate/keep regulated.

Edited by gioarmani

I had nothing but problems with my Vostoks. As with all mechanical things Russian, their reliability is a shot in the dark--more so than reps, even. They are also a ROYAL pain in the ass to regulate/keep regulated.

Oh...bummer gio...Not what I wanted to hear. Guess I have a little more research and thinking to do. The research is the easy part...thinking always hurts a little... :pinch:

I've owned two over the years and they've never stayed long. You get what you pay for with these watches. I'd rather buy a Seiko any time of the day if I had the choice. One thing though, they do have some interesting designs. Good luck.

As usual, YMMV. ;) And as a Seiko owner as well, I would in fact take the Seiko over it. My Seiko Automatic survived 3000 miles on a motorcycle and a week at Burning Man, and 6-8ft waves while surfing with it. :D

Dont know about russian movement quality, but some russian made watch`es are with ETA 7750 also

I love that russian made diver watch:

stingray-black-half-side.jpg

stingray-side.jpg

# Swiss Made

# Movement ETA 7750

# Automatic winding, 25 jewels

# Hours, minutes, seconds

# Date calendar

# Diving watch, 30 atm water resistant

# Sapphire glass

# Titanium case

# Screw-in back cover

# Screw-in crown with safety capsule

# Diameter 52 mm

# Height 18 mm, with safety frame 21 mm

# Weight with strap about 197 g

# Genuine rubber strap

# Strap lag 24 mm

# Limited to 500 pcs

Only price is unknown... probably price is not very low.

If I will sell all my rep

I have had this one for about a year now and had no problems (I do not wear it everyday though), it keeps great time and looks fantastic. True, Russian watches do tend to fall a bit short compared to their swiss counterparts, and they really do not hold a candle to Seiko's quality (Seiko is a true under-appreciated watch IMO). Still, some do have thier own collectable quality. Some Tudor Monte Carlo frankens are done with Poljot movements, and many vintage Pam models are done with Molnija pocket watch movements. All in all, I don't think any Russian watch would be too much more of a risk than the average rep especially considering that many models from Vostok Europe are a couple hundred or less to buy.

Here is mine

VostokExpedition1.jpg

Here is Soviet era Molnija pocket watch, does this movement look somewhat familiar?

Molnija2.jpg

Cheers B)

This might be a bit different from the current line of Russian watches, but my Poljot "Sthurmanskie" has proved to be reliable.

DSC_3749-1.jpg

A cool vintage military watch, with true cold war Air Force heritage.. B)

• 8 months later...

I too liked the Buran Stingrays when I first saw them. Looked like a "Russian" type of watch with Swiss craftmanship. Then I, unfortunately, found out that it also comes with a "Swiss" price tag. :( Bummer, I would consider a Buran if it were in the $1k price range. As it is though, it's priced too high for what it is IMHO.