When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Isotonic sports drinks following a seizure?

TeeJay

A friend was taken into hospital earlier following a seizure, and although now home, is understandably feeling like they've run a marathon. Would an isotonic sports drink be a good idea to help them replenish electrolytes and whatnots? Thanks in advance :)

I just went to a Medical Forum and asked a question about Replica Watches.

Did you go to an Off-Topic-Emergency-Room? ^_^

@TJ. Sorry for your friend. I have no idea whether that could be a problem. But I'm sure there's some medical professionals here.

Yours kindly

Valerian

I surely hope your friend is doing better, seizures are scary. I have never had one (knock wood), but my wife's nephew has been through some after being involved in a car accident. As he recovers, enrergy drinks and soft drinks like Mountain Dew are off limits to him, and I would imagine any sports drink would fall into the same category. Hopefully some members of the medical community can chime in, but it is really a matter left up to your friends healthcare professional.

Although, a few pints and a packet of peanuts is all Authur Dent needed to get through the matter transference beam when the Earth was demolished to make way for a new hyper-space bypass...

The best of health to all out there B)

Thanks for all the feedback and good wishes, guys :) I've been PMd some very useful information, which has been passed on to my friend's wife. (they live quite a distance away, and were the witnesses at my wedding) I guess my main concern was that he is an older gentleman, and might have found something beneficial in such a drink :) Thanks again, it's much appreciated :)

Well, if you want to give him an isotonic sports drink (regardless of why) I would recommend Coconut Water. I use Coconut water as it is the perfectly ph balanced isotonic. Best cure for a hangover, and many many times more effective then gatorade, which is trash. I buy this brand at whole foods stores http://www.vitacoco.com/

Well, if you want to give him an isotonic sports drink (regardless of why) I would recommend Coconut Water. I use Coconut water as it is the perfectly ph balanced isotonic. Best cure for a hangover, and many many times more effective then gatorade, which is trash. I buy this brand at whole foods stores http://www.vitacoco.com/

Thanks for the recommendation :)

Orange juice cut in half with water is a great electrolyte replacement also. Cut with water to avoid upset stomach. Of course make sure your friend is not allergic to oranges.

Thanks for the advice, I'll pass the information along :)

Orange juice cut in half with water is a great electrolyte replacement also. Cut with water to avoid upset stomach. Of course make sure your friend is not allergic to oranges.

Since Orange Juice has zero electrolytes in it, it is pure carbohydrate.