When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A little more DSSD modding. Pic heavy.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Thanks carlsbadrolex and gioarmani!

One question, are the hour markers on your dial flat or slightly domed or raised? I couldn't tell from the pics.

With all these mods, we'll make our own super rep in no time!

Keep the innovation going!

Thanks again!

Great info guys. The steel differential is fascinating. We know that Rolex added their own foundry capability as part of their own upgrade to ensure consistency in precious metals (just in time for a 23% drop in sales). Maybe they are doing the same with the stainless. I have had the opportunity to compare generic 9xx to 316L steel in ingot form and it is not that different. In fact a well polished 316 piece can outshine the other. I wonder if they could be throwing in a dab of rhodium (is it possible?) into the SS for the DSSD. And thanks you guys just saved me a good amount of money as I was about to build an Ultimate DSSD combining the best parts of the V3 and V4 watches (unfortunately I already own both watches) and sharpening the edges of the date window (one of the few benefits of having to matte spray the dial is you can file, repaint the small area and then matte coat the dial). But I am not going to bother if the metal is that far off.

Great info guys. The steel differential is fascinating. We know that Rolex added their own foundry capability as part of their own upgrade to ensure consistency in precious metals (just in time for a 23% drop in sales). Maybe they are doing the same with the stainless. I have had the opportunity to compare generic 9xx to 316L steel in ingot form and it is not that different. In fact a well polished 316 piece can outshine the other. I wonder if they could be throwing in a dab of rhodium (is it possible?) into the SS for the DSSD. And thanks you guys just saved me a good amount of money as I was about to build an Ultimate DSSD combining the best parts of the V3 and V4 watches (unfortunately I already own both watches) and sharpening the edges of the date window (one of the few benefits of having to matte spray the dial is you can file, repaint the small area and then matte coat the dial). But I am not going to bother if the metal is that far off.

maybe im cracy - but could it be that the rep factorys use different steel / finnishing tecs ?

imho the "steel" on the SSD look more gen like than Rollies form the "Nobb Factory" ....

cheers,

Frank

carl I cant wait to hear about when you next get to compare yours with the gen after the metal cleaning/polishing also which you said makes a world of difference!

I was worried that doing this would remove the brushed finish, although the steel of our reps does look somewhat 'dirty'!

Comparing my gen GMT to my rep Panerai (316), I'd have to agree with the cleaning hypothesis. The polished parts of the rep case are spot on to the gen, whereas the brushed parts have a slight brownish cast. I'm going out to buy some stainless cleaner tomorrow.

Where are you guys getting a gen DS to compare? Here in Zurich there is a 1 year waiting list and no examples in the stores.

Edited by Toobs

Guest carlsbadrolex

I know of two AD's in North San Diego County that have them. One of them will sell it today for 10% off retail of $9250.00 and the other asked me to "make him an offer".

Check RF, they are selling for right around $7k (some people are still asking way more, but I saw one that sold for $6800)