When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mystery donors give over $45M to 9 universities

milsub5517

How cool is this? i hope this happened for the right reasons and not because money came from "questionable" sources. One of the conditions was that most of the money goes directly to students in scholarships.

Probably some hedge fund manager who made a killing in last 12 months shorting everything and everyone now feeling bad how college financing dried up ... in any case its cool that not everyone "up there" likes to show off.

In my last university the guy who gave millions every year made sure everybody knows where the money come from. Lol, you have to write thank you letters every year (if you receive a scholarship), like they care or have time to read these letters.

This guy (or guys) get thumbs up from me !!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090416/ap_on_...s/mystery_gifts

one of the conditions was that most of the money goes directly to students in scholarships.

starving people in developing countries? only if you go there yourself and give out money on the streets, otherwise most of it will end up in corrupt official's pockets. lol, i grew up there and seen how it works. unfortunately, with corrupt governments there is very little you can do by just giving money.

Stupid. They make enough money already. Give it to a charity, for marginalized people, or for starving people in developing countries...

Exactly, that's why money are going directly to students who cant afford insane cost of education and we need more educated people in this country.

on the other hand this is a drop in a sea for big universities. Here is how much some schools had in '08:

Harvard University $ 36.556 billion USD

MIT $ 10.069 billion

University of Chicago $ 6.632 billion

etc

one of the conditions was that most of the money goes directly to students in scholarships.

starving people in developing countries? only if you go there yourself and give out money on the streets, otherwise most of it will end up in corrupt official's pockets. lol, i grew up there and seen how it works. unfortunately, with corrupt governments there is very little you can do by just giving money.

Exactly, that's why money are going directly to students who cant afford insane cost of education and we need more educated people in this country.

on the other hand this is a drop in a sea for big universities. Here is how much some schools had in '08:

Harvard University $ 36.556 billion USD

MIT $ 10.069 billion

University of Chicago $ 6.632 billion

etc

That Harvard number is a little different now ;) They just halted construction of their 400 million dollar science center until their endowment pops back...

Still, a great gesture and, sadly, a necessity in a country where college funding has slumped so significantly in the last few years.

By the way- are you a student or faculty mil_sub?

im neither ;) but still have some love left for my Alma Mater.

yes Hahvahd is down by ~6billion this year, but their endowment is still bigger than entire economies of some countries. lol.

That Harvard number is a little different now ;) They just halted construction of their 400 million dollar science center until their endowment pops back...

Still, a great gesture and, sadly, a necessity in a country where college funding has slumped so significantly in the last few years.

By the way- are you a student or faculty mil_sub?

.. me thinks that this is something personal.

Maybe it was someone that is upset with the Ivy League, because by the looks of things none of the top names got anything.