When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Never bring a rep into an Authorized Dealer

mick92627

Flaunting a rep anywhere to anyone is in bad form, and absolutely moronic to try and fool an AD. I would hope that every AD would call out the fool and embarrass them in public, because they deserve to but put in their place.

Wear your reps discreetly. It's really for your own satisfaction anyway. I think it's really embarassing when I see people seeking attention with their fake watch by waving it around to get eye contact from strangers.

Dam you mean I cant wave my fake around anymore, Dam. People were giving me strange looks when I would make a big production while looking at my watch with a wall clock 10 feet away. :D Actually I agree 100% with everything you said :thumbs: Mike

Probably worth relating this tale.

About 25 years ago, I was in HK, and purchased a copy Rx Sub. @ $5 or close to that, back then....couldn't even tell you if it was quartz or mechanical, 'cos I wouldn't have known myself :)

So in my naive little existence, I was wandering down the street, and saw a Rx distributor.

Even back then, I must have had some "how close is this to gen?" inklings, so I wandered in to the AD, and asked to see a Rolex Submariner. It was put on the counter in front of me, and I reached into my pocket and pulled out the rep, and sat it along side the gen. I then sensed a "presence" next to me, and standing alongside, with a pistol unholstered was a LARGE security guy. The words spoken were...."Don't even think about it!" (In stilted Chinglish)

In all honesty a switch had never entered my mind, however I immediately repocketed the rep, and beat a hasty exit.

Later it occurred to me just how often this sort of thing must be tried on.

So even 15 years before getting involved in the rep game, I was learning why you never take a rep into an AD!

Offshore

Probably worth relating this tale.

About 25 years ago, I was in HK, and purchased a copy Rx Sub. @ $5 or close to that, back then....couldn't even tell you if it was quartz or mechanical, 'cos I wouldn't have known myself :)

So in my naive little existence, I was wandering down the street, and saw a Rx distributor.

Even back then, I must have had some "how close is this to gen?" inklings, so I wandered in to the AD, and asked to see a Rolex Submariner. It was put on the counter in front of me, and I reached into my pocket and pulled out the rep, and sat it along side the gen. I then sensed a "presence" next to me, and standing alongside, with a pistol unholstered was a LARGE security guy. The words spoken were...."Don't even think about it!" (In stilted Chinglish)

In all honesty a switch had never entered my mind, however I immediately repocketed the rep, and beat a hasty exit.

Later it occurred to me just how often this sort of thing must be tried on.

So even 15 years before getting involved in the rep game, I was learning why you never take a rep into an AD!

Offshore

A lesson learned thats for sure. Thanks for the reminder :) Mike

"Well the the UK, conterfeit products are treated almost like stolen property, and if the copyright owners get a hold of the watch they will "take care of it", potentially even sue you for it."

It's not that bad in the USA...yet.

It may be before long though...all copyright owners have to do is get together and bribe a few high level politicians with expensive "gifts" (a watch or two) and "campaign contributions" (a stack of $100 bills).

Many politicians are extreme low life characters. B)

"The AD I would imagine is a different case because he is an independent who doesn't own the copyright, he doesnt want to deal with the hassle so will most likely turn you away after embarassing you."

Most good AD clerks can size up a customer in about 5 minutes...buyers are courted and tire kickers are rushed out the door.

Anyone wearing a replica is probably not seen to be a buyer but I think most sales clerks will still be polite...while they rush them out the door.

There are exceptions of course.

I would guess a very accurate replica would pass for genuine as long as a knowledgable clerk did not examine it closely and the replica owner kept his mouth shut about replicas. The last thing a replica wearer should do is brag about their watch being a replica in an AD.

Independent Mom and Pop watch stores are sometimes not too bad because some may have a replica or two behind the counter..."these belong to a cousin".

I've heard the more senior guys here repeatedly advise folks not to bring a rep into an AD. I respect their experience, so that advice is good enough for me.

But I am curious as to why it's a bad idea. I'd like to hear what the informed consensus is from the more experience members.

Gentlemen?

I wore a rep into an AD last year.. and ended up getting treated like a millionaire! read about it in my post: http://www.rwg.cc/members/treat-millionaire-t33734.html