When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSSD Dial ~ Correct Date Window

lanikai

After much frustration and venting ...... it seems that the project to finally take care of the dial issue is underway ..

The maker decided to go with the smaller non beveled date window due to costs. on the V3 and V4

I am told the genuine dial (on the(Edit).. left) is manufactured in 2 pieces then fused together .. I'm not altogether clear on the reason .. it has something to do with the wider date window .. (something is lost in the translation to me)

I am also informed that the correct dial is underway .. and will be made in 2 pieces and fused .. same procedure as the genuine.. it all came down to the cost of a 2 piece fused dial

Now.. I'm not asking anyone to believe me ... because the proof will be in the final product.. I trust that this info is accurate.

so we shall see.. it really makes sense that the cost of the replication came into play .. it is such a glaring flaw when the maker had the genuine available..

the genuine dial for sample is on the left.. the rep V4 is on the right.. I had to brighten and increase the contrast to be able to see the detail of the date window.. doing this has distorted the colour a little..

deepseagenrepdial.jpg

I decided to post this.. as I was torn between posting and not posting this info.. as I am aware that I am sticking my neck out with this.. so take it for what it's worth to you.. I am not trying to "promise" anything as I am just passing on info..

the proof as I say will be in the final dial..

I am not trying to stir up a rousing debate over dealers and makers either .. so please keep your comments under control B)

Hopefully the maker will come through ~

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

Lani, her you say the gen is on the right...

am told the genuine dial (on the right) is manufactured in 2 pieces then fused together .. I'm not altogether clear on the reason .. it has something to do with the wider date window .. (something is lost in the translation to me)

And here, you say the gen is on the left....

the genuine dial for sample is on the left.. the rep V4 is on the right.. I had to brighten and increase the contrast to be able to see the detail of the date window.. doing this has distorted the colour a little..

MM

Lani, her you say the gen is on the right...

am told the genuine dial (on the right) is manufactured in 2 pieces then fused together .. I'm not altogether clear on the reason .. it has something to do with the wider date window .. (something is lost in the translation to me)

And here, you say the gen is on the left....

MM

sorry ma bad.. the genuine is on the left.. (watching the NBA playoff and trying to type this.. :p )

I'll edit it..

thanks M..

Two questions:

What is the final answer to the whether the gen dial is matte or glossy? There are posts that go so far as the show how to "correct" or simulate a matte dial, yet I have had a conversation with a dealer that states that the gen dial is indeed glossy. From what I can find on line for gen dials, they seem matte to me, but it's a challenge to tell in most of the photos.

When these next generation dials are made, is there any chance that they'll be sold individually for dial swaps?

Two questions:

What is the final answer to the whether the gen dial is matte or glossy? There are posts that go so far as the show how to "correct" or simulate a matte dial, yet I have had a conversation with a dealer that states that the gen dial is indeed glossy. From what I can find on line for gen dials, they seem matte to me, but it's a challenge to tell in most of the photos.

When these next generation dials are made, is there any chance that they'll be sold individually for dial swaps?

I have yet to come across a genuine pic that shows beyond a doubt that the dial is matte.. and not "semi glossy"

look at the pic and notice the reflection on the date window bevel.. the thickness of the crystal also adds to the look of the dial being somewhat more glossy than it is.. but I do believe it is 'semi' glossy.. but I will be going to the AD this week.. now that I can wear a genuine.. seemed out of place in the pass to enter wearing nothing and having a tan line on my wrist.

541o.jpg

5410pzg.jpg

look at the dial comparison on the start of the thread.. the genuine and replication look equal... but again the colour is distorted on both due to brightening the image for detail..

@MM.. thank you .. your support is always appreciated !!

aloha

L

Much thanks for the update. Can't wait for the next version. And I may be missing something but your pic of rep and gen dial convinces me that the gen dial is semi-gloss and not matte. Of course you can never tell from pictures for sure but that is my bet. :)

True 2... I don't know where the "matte" dial originated.. I never viewed the genuine pics and translated the dial as "matte" and it looks even more so(glossy) due to the "coke bottle" thickness of the domed xtal.

regardless .... the pics of the genuine watch in my post were the same ones used in the pictorial review.. and were out long before the replication was released.

After much debate with my dealer.. and to his credit .. on his current trip to China.. requested the genuine dial and the rep dial be photographed as a side by side.

the issue of the fused dial.. has to do with the wider date window (I need to clariy that point with him) .. but the cost of doing this was at first unacceptable to the maker.. but being that there is (for whatever reason) no way around it .. our dealer has convinced him this is a "must" for the DSSD..

I was wrong when I stated that "I can live with the Date Window".. :rolleyes:.. wasn't the first time.. and probably won't be the last either..

Aloha

R

It's funny that we have always been after the date window/glossy/matt issue of the dial which I feel only plays a small part of the flaw when considering the actual appearance of the hour markers. It is an immediate tell by looking at the metal rim of markers the dial/watch is fake. The thickness of the metal rim is simply just too much as compared to the gen. This is the same case as with the LV Maxi dial - even with the Noob dial or the upcoming WM9 LV dial, the markers are all wrong.

There used to be a very accurate Maxi markers for the LV in the old days, and now it is nowhere to be found anymore.

Nice Lani as usual

But I'm fed up on this one. If I can get Josh or Andrew to sell me the dial only and have Rex mount it for me I would be a happy camper but to go thru this whole version of the month thing again makes me want to vomit!!!

Nice Lani as usual

But I'm fed up on this one. If I can get Josh or Andrew to sell me the dial only and have Rex mount it for me I would be a happy camper but to go thru this whole version of the month thing again makes me want to vomit!!!

I know the feeling T... I thought I would be ok with the dw... but it is in the making now.. so check with your dealer ;)

but the dial is not Matte .... it is semi glossy.. my dealer went so far as to make the trip to the maker and send me the pics of the genuine.. unfortunately I had to take out so much saturation it dissolved the gloss look.. I did this to shoe the detail fot he dw

I think what was being explained to me was the dial is in 2 pieces (sandwiched) together that is why the dw was not replicated by the maker at first and the one that was... is still not accurate.. look at the bevel on the genuine.. it is like a framed double bevel.. ergo the "fused" dial to give it this detail..

I'll let you know more as soon as I am informed T. B)

L

• 2 weeks later...

I am far from beeing a Rlx expert but it seems to me that the "S" of the "SEA", both the big and the small one, have not the same font as the gen... I am wrong ?

After much frustration and venting ...... it seems that the project to finally take care of the dial issue is underway ..

The maker decided to go with the smaller non beveled date window due to costs. on the V3 and V4

I am told the genuine dial (on the(Edit).. left) is manufactured in 2 pieces then fused together .. I'm not altogether clear on the reason .. it has something to do with the wider date window .. (something is lost in the translation to me)

I am also informed that the correct dial is underway .. and will be made in 2 pieces and fused .. same procedure as the genuine.. it all came down to the cost of a 2 piece fused dial

Now.. I'm not asking anyone to believe me ... because the proof will be in the final product.. I trust that this info is accurate.

so we shall see.. it really makes sense that the cost of the replication came into play .. it is such a glaring flaw when the maker had the genuine available..

deepseagenrepdial.jpg

I decided to post this.. as I was torn between posting and not posting this info.. as I am aware that I am sticking my neck out with this.. so take it for what it's worth to you.. I am not trying to "promise" anything as I am just passing on info..

the proof as I say will be in the final dial..

I am not trying to stir up a rousing debate over dealers and makers either .. so please keep your comments under control B)

Hopefully the maker will come through ~

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

And with proper bezel fonts and thickness the next version could be a sight to behold. I had a V3 but the thin bezel numerals bothered me, seemed like it needed to be thicker to break the monotony of the ceramic. But it was extremely well-made from what I can tell. I applaud attempts to further improve it.

• 1 month later...
I am far from beeing a Rlx expert but it seems to me that the "S" of the "SEA", both the big and the small one, have not the same font as the gen... I am wrong ?

Here is a collection of gen pics, from different angles. Hope they can give a clue to the nature of the date windows as well as the gloss, or non gloss dial.

http://www.luxury24.org/deepsea_seadweller.htm

smab