When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I hate Chieftang !

nnomad

OH COME ONNNNN...

i mean..i have my DSSD on my wrist (cause i dont have a winder, so when i arrive home i put it on...mostly.. i love it but i dont use it...its unconfortable while doing my work and trust me...you dont want "unconfortable" while im doing it..you have to trust me on that one)..so...and the story goes; i have a BP5002 ordered, a HKtan strap on its way to give the IWC some serious piece of soul, an UPO on rubber that insists on not arriving and thats it..now..and follow my lead...HOW THE HELL WILL I BE ABLE TO SEPARATE MYSELF FROM THIS WATCHES THAT IVE WAITED FOR THEM FOR SO LONG IN ORDER TO GET AN AR DONE?!?!?!...its like telling a mom to let her newborn child go on a camping trip for 2 months!!!!...its NOT PLEASENT...by the other hand...damn.....and this is for you chief..............THEY LOOK SO NICE AFTER SPENDING A WHILE IN YOUR HANDS!!!....... and another problem pops in....how on earth will i get the glass of...???.... i have absolutly no idea where i can find someone to do it..ohhh...you got the point people!!..questions..questions..nothing about than questionss.............................this is not healthy

cheers

A.

P.S. i hate you chief, simply because i love your work...go figure... (and that is a big compliment) :black_eye:

You will need A4 paper, envelope and ball peen hammer

Put a piece of A4 paper on the table then holding your watch above the paper give the crystal a sharp with the ball of the hammer....*side note: this is a good way to test crystal, glass will shatter sapphire breaks in chunks*....Now carefully turn watch around so all pieces of the crystal fall onto the paper (you may need to give the back of the watch a bit of a tap to get all the piece out, I find the flat hammer head useful for this), once all the pieces are out put the watch aside and get someone to hold the envelope open for you, your wife/girlfriend or the cute chick next door that you never had the guts to talk to will work, then lift the edges of the paper so all contents fall into the center and simply pour your crystal into envelope.

Seal and send to Chief, he will glue all the pieces back together, AR it and have it back to you within a week.

Use this week to work out how you will refit the crystal.

Or whether it is even worth doing so to the now non functioning watch :D

Ken ;)

Super Secret crystal removal tip: (I've seen this on other forums but not here.)

1) Remove the caseback.

2) Press the stem release button and carefully pull out stem.

3) Not required, but very strongly recommended: Unscrew clips holding movement in, and carefully remove movement assembly.

4) Re-install caseback, carefully aligning threads, and making sure o-ring seal is seated properly. (You need the watch to be air-tight).

5) This is the fun one. Locate fancy bergeon blower bulb with pointy tip or something similar that you can squeeze while holding flush to the crown tube (hole in side of case). I've used a plunger for inkjet printer refills that has a perfectly sized small plastic tip. A regular blower bulb might work if you can keep the contact tight. I've also considered a bicycle tire pump with presta-style valve end. (Yes, I'm that crazy).

6) Hold your plunger/bulb flush to the crown/stem hole and start slowly squeezing. It takes less pressure than you would think. You get a loud pop, and the crystal flies out with varying force. Make sure not to lose the seal. For me it has always stayed intact in the watch.

Yes this sounds risky, as stuff is going to fly around a bit. On the other hand, the perfectly even pressure from the inside on the crystal should in theory be ideal.

I've found I don't need a press for the re-install. Just do it very very carefully and slowly. Place the crystal flat on the case. Keep methodically pressing while making sure it's absolutely level all around. I keep rotating the case while checking the depth with a loupe, then I press a bit at a time with my palm. Eventually it pops into place. Note that these are my completely ghetto, "Tools? We don't need no stinkin' tools!" tips for the adventurer type. If something tragic happens, I first try to learn from the mistake, then I work hard to completely repress the memory of the accident. There are now at least a few blank spots in my past. The repression gets easier with practice. Also, there are meds that can help. Ask your doctor.

p.s. Don't skip step 3. I did that once (removed stem but left everything else in the watch intact), and the hands blasted off during the pop along with the crystal. No damage amazingly, but a huge scare. And I had to find that tiny sub-second hand somewhere far off in my room (I did eventually).

You will need A4 paper, envelope and ball peen hammer

Put a piece of A4 paper on the table then holding your watch above the paper give the crystal a sharp with the ball of the hammer....*side note: this is a good way to test crystal, glass will shatter sapphire breaks in chunks*....Now carefully turn watch around so all pieces of the crystal fall onto the paper (you may need to give the back of the watch a bit of a tap to get all the piece out, I find the flat hammer head useful for this), once all the pieces are out put the watch aside and get someone to hold the envelope open for you, your wife/girlfriend or the cute chick next door that you never had the guts to talk to will work, then lift the edges of the paper so all contents fall into the center and simply pour your crystal into envelope.

Seal and send to Chief, he will glue all the pieces back together, AR it and have it back to you within a week.

Use this week to work out how you will refit the crystal.

Or whether it is even worth doing so to the now non functioning watch :D

Ken ;)

LMAO.gifLMAO.gifLMAO.gifLMAO.gifLMAO.gifLMAO.gif

Super Secret crystal removal tip: (I've seen this on other forums but not here.)

1) Remove the caseback.

2) Press the stem release button and carefully pull out stem.

3) Not required, but very strongly recommended: Unscrew clips holding movement in, and carefully remove movement assembly.

4) Re-install caseback, carefully aligning threads, and making sure o-ring seal is seated properly. (You need the watch to be air-tight).

5) This is the fun one. Locate fancy bergeon blower bulb with pointy tip or something similar that you can squeeze while holding flush to the crown tube (hole in side of case). I've used a plunger for inkjet printer refills that has a perfectly sized small plastic tip. A regular blower bulb might work if you can keep the contact tight. I've also considered a bicycle tire pump with presta-style valve end. (Yes, I'm that crazy).

6) Hold your plunger/bulb flush to the crown/stem hole and start slowly squeezing. It takes less pressure than you would think. You get a loud pop, and the crystal flies out with varying force. Make sure not to lose the seal. For me it has always stayed intact in the watch.

Yes this sounds risky, as stuff is going to fly around a bit. On the other hand, the perfectly even pressure from the inside on the crystal should in theory be ideal.

I've found I don't need a press for the re-install. Just do it very very carefully and slowly. Place the crystal flat on the case. Keep methodically pressing while making sure it's absolutely level all around. I keep rotating the case while checking the depth with a loupe, then I press a bit at a time with my palm. Eventually it pops into place. Note that these are my completely ghetto, "Tools? We don't need no stinkin' tools!" tips for the adventurer type. If something tragic happens, I first try to learn from the mistake, then I work hard to completely repress the memory of the accident. There are now at least a few blank spots in my past. The repression gets easier with practice. Also, there are meds that can help. Ask your doctor.

p.s. Don't skip step 3. I did that once (removed stem but left everything else in the watch intact), and the hands blasted off during the pop along with the crystal. No damage amazingly, but a huge scare. And I had to find that tiny sub-second hand somewhere far off in my room (I did eventually).

Interesting idea. Seems sound to me as long as you have some kind of crystal catcher set up.

Col.

LOL I missed this one.... Thanks, Ken! ;) You haven't heard the last from me!! :p